Rumor: Nintendo Prepping $50 Wii Price Cut

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Nintendo Prepping $50 Wii Price Cut

Nintendo might be planning to make the Wii more affordable in May 2011.

With Wii sales declining in recent months, Nintendo may have decided it's time for another price cut. A rumor going around states that the console will be dropped another $50 by mid-May.

A "trusted source" reportedly told Engadget about the cut, which would bring the Wii to $149.99 on May 15. If true, it'll satiate the desires of publishers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106216-Wii-Needs-a-Price-Cut-and-Better-Third-Party-Support-Says-EA-Boss] that have been calling for such a cut.

The cut would only be the second since the Wii's in rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/64737-249-99-Wii-Launching-November-19th] before an official reveal.

The Wii has been somewhat of a mystery lately, with a lack of first-party titles leading to speculation that a Wii 2, or similar successor, is on the way. Nintendo only has Mystery Case Files: Dust to Dust [http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Skyward-Sword-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSC54I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1302713947&sr=1-1] in its current lineup. A Wii price cut, especially before E3 2011 which runs from June 7-9, might herald the announcement of a new console. Whether it does or not, a cut is a good idea to get things rolling again for Nintendo.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/12/nintendo-cutting-wii-price-to-150-on-may-15th/]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Doesnt everybody already have a Wii to use as a bathmat?

Oh well, looks like i might be tiling walls with them now.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I'm kind of hoping for the Wii's successor, hopefully with more current era graphics and more traditional controls (I'm not saying they should completely do away with motion controls, just have the option to use a classic controller instead)

Also I must be able to import my V-con games over.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
gigastar said:

Oh well, looks like i might be tiling walls with them now.
No. I use my Wii as my primary console. My xbox 360 is no longer a doorstopper though. It's been like that for 2 years.

bomblord

Mar 16, 2011
Interesting i've had mine since launch still need to get mario galaxy 2 and a few other games

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Irridium said:
Don't they also have a new Kirby game coming?
Yeah. And I really hope it makes it out. I'd love to play it. Kirby's Epic Yarn was good for what it did, but I want some REAL Kirby.

But no Nintendo. Please no new console right now. You already got a big pile of 3DS money, isn't that enough for a little while? :p

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Irridium said:
Don't they also have a new Kirby game coming?
Yes and it has Kirby in a cowboy hat. BEST KIRBY HAT EVER.
gigastar said:
Nope, the Wii is my most used home console as it has the best games. Moreso once Dragon Quest 10 and Last Story come along.

SanguineSymphony

Jan 25, 2011
Tom Goldman said:
The Wii has been somewhat of a mystery lately, with a lack of first-party titles leading to speculation that a Wii 2, or similar successor, is on the way. Nintendo only has Mystery Case Files: Dust to Dust [http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Skyward-Sword-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSC54I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1302713947&sr=1-1] in its current lineup. A Wii price cut, especially before E3 2011 which runs from June 7-9, might herald the announcement of a new console. Whether it does or not, a cut is a good idea to get things rolling again for Nintendo.
Last year there were four first party titles... I think them cutting down this year is fine. I still haven't picked up Epic Yarn as it is. I am hoping there will be an announcement of another 2D platformer like they have done for the last two years. REALLY hoping it will be another Yoshi's Island.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'm getting impatient over Skyward Sword. Miyamoto said to expect the game to arrive at the start of this year. Well, that has passed. Seriously, what is going on with this game? They just tell us ambiguous updates ("it's half finished", then "we're almost done").

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Well if there is a next gen Nintendo Console in the works I doubt I'll be buying it - the wii was probably my most regretted purchase - Super Mario Galaxy, Red Steel, Brawl and that's about it.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
My plan on the Wii was to wait and buy the dozen or so titles I wanted. Price drop would make it tempting.

danhere

Apr 5, 2010
Considering what the release schedule looks like, I really don't think it matters how much they drop the price.

http://i.imgur.com/Xrd5u.jpg

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
danhere said:
Considering what the release schedule looks like, I really don't think it matters how much they drop the price.

http://i.imgur.com/Xrd5u.jpg
I'll need to pick up Xenoblade and The Last Story. I forgot about those.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
ANImaniac89 said:
I'm kind of hoping for the Wii's successor, hopefully with more current era graphics and more traditional controls (I'm not saying they should completely do away with motion controls, just have the option to use a classic controller instead)

Also I must be able to import my V-con games over.
They could do that with the Wii anyway, if they wanted to. (The bit about a classic controller I mean). And some games do it too.
NiGHTS: journey into dreams can be played viably using a classic controller, gamecube controller, Wii remote by itself, or wii remote & nunchuk.

The obvious problem here, is if a game can viably be played without motion controls, then what are the motion controls even for?

You can't force every game to give the option of using a traditional controller, because doing so would mean no game can ever implement anything useful or interesting with a motion controller.

By allowing the use of a traditional controller, you are guaranteeing that any game which does so will have shitty, pointless motion controls. (Because if they weren't pointless, you wouldn't be able to play the game with a traditional controller at all.)

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
DustyDrB said:
I'm getting impatient over Skyward Sword. Miyamoto said to expect the game to arrive at the start of this year. Well, that has passed. Seriously, what is going on with this game? They just tell us ambiguous updates ("it's half finished", then "we're almost done").
Welcome to the good old world of what Nintendo used to be like.

Does nobody remember that Ocarina of Time on the N64 was announced in 1995, but not released until 1999?
And it's not like they didn't say along the way that it was 'nearly', only to delay it again for a year or more...

Nintendo's modern release schedules are a miracle by comparison.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
night_chrono said:
Bout damn time. The gamecube was at $99 for an insanely long time.
Hell, Gamecubes were $99.99 until they were getting closed out. I remember buying a N64 for $59.99 new after the Gamecube was released.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
But there are MIRRIONS of troops 2nd hand Wii consoles out there in highly reliable condition but only around £70 / $130

What difference will a $150 (£115 plus tax) version be when there are such cheaper version available. Those 2nd hand versions will inevitably fall in price again when the pristine version gets a price cut.

I say $99 or if $150 include a VERY USEFUL hardware upgrade, like higher internal capacity.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Eeh, no. I still doubt I'd get one. The fact that Mario and Zelda games retain their retail price no matter how old they get or are used, if the console is still on the market keeps me from bothering.

I've seen Zelda Twighlight Princess used for 56$

Used Mario games on the DS from back when the DS was young for 40-50$

Ugh... I'm already stretched out what with paying for games for my PS3 and DS, not to mention I want to get a 3DS. So, no way will I buy a Wii at 149.99$

If I see it for 100$, then perhaps I'd get it... but then again, a PS2 seems more appealing.