How To Break into the Game Industry

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
How To Break into the Game Industry

Sometimes a Stormtrooper costume and a great sample is all you need to get a job at Epic Games.

For many of us, working on the videogames that we've loved since a child is a dream job. The truth is that the people who go to an office to spend their days modeling characters or designing levels are not locked in an ivory tower, they were human beings just like you or I once who had to suffer through the ranks to make it where they are today. At a panel at the East Coast Game Conference in Raleigh, North Carolina this morning, six grizzled game designers and game company leaders parleyed over 60 years combined experience at companies like Epic Games, Red Storm Ubisoft, Insomniac and Electronic Arts to offer insight on how to stand out from the crowd of applicants. The number one thing that each person mentioned is to have a great example of your work to show off, even if that might be outside the normal purview of videogame design.

"Someone asked me last year what I would feel if someone turned in a pen and paper game design and I think that would be great," said Keith Friedly, designer at Insomniac currently working on Rachet & Clank: All for One. "We don't expect that if you're a student that you'll be able to show a finished AAA game, but if you have something that shows the way you think and how you design, and then when we talk to you, you're then able to explain that. I think that would go a long way."

Just getting that first interview can be tough, and it's important that all your submissions (incl. resume, cover letter) are as polished as possible. Use your spell-check kids. Tim Johnson, recruiting manager at Epic Games, said that sometimes gimmicks might work, too. "We got a guy who we hired who dropped his resume off wearing a Stormtrooper costume," he said. "Everybody wanted to know when they saw him 'Who is that guy?' That shows passion, it shows creativity and those weird kinds of things have worked."

One thing that's clear from hearing about how each of these guys got hired is that you're not always going to be working on the game that you might have dreamed about, or that you can even get a full time job with a game developer. "In today's environment with the amount of layoffs in the industry the last few years, if somebody is offering [temporary] contract positions they are probably just being honest with the flexibility they need," said David Hamm, formerly with Atomic Game (Breach).

Ryan Stradling, general manager of EA's North Carolina studio who just finished up work on Madden for the 3DS, was very direct in what he looks for in a candidate. "Are you smart? Can you get things done? And are you gonna work well with others? Those are the three things that I look for," he said before stating that you want to put your best foot forward by showing your best sample art or level first.

Both Jonathan Lauf, the art director at Atomic Games, and Sandy Dockter, a recruiter from Red Storm Ubisoft who led the panel, said that it's important to get out there and make something to show, even if it's an amateur student project or work on a mod team.

The sad reality though is that even with all of this advice, it's still going to be extremely difficult to get an entry-level position in games because of simple mathematics. "Last year, we hired .4 percent of people who applied," said Tim Johnson from Epic Games. "Just as a comparison, 8 percent get into Harvard who apply, and .6 percent get into the CIA. I'm not trying to say that it is harder to get a job at Epic than it is with the CIA, but it is just based on the numbers."

What that means is that you'll have to work extremely hard just to get noticed, but if you have the talent, drive and passion to set you above the average applicant, you might just end up making something that the world will love to play.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Numbers show it's harder to be a game designer then a CIA agent. Ironically those game designers are probably making games about CIA agents.

hansari

May 31, 2009
I want to get into the games industry...I don't know whether to feel inspired or dissuaded by this...

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
So... I should go into the CIA? Sweet.

I'll continue learning computer application building skills anyway- Already still at it even though I'm econ.

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
I actually read the blog of the guy who dressed up in the stormtrooper costume to apply. It was pretty entertaining.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
hansari said:
I want to get into the games industry...I don't know whether to feel inspired or dissuaded by this...
Haha, you and me both. At the risk of sounding egotistical, I know I have great ideas that have a lot of potential but there's always this little nagging voice going "NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!"

2ndblackjedi

Sep 12, 2008
Nuts, I'll just be a CIA agent from Harvard then :/

But to put on the srs face, I like articles like these. Being in my first year of a Game Programming course, it gives me some ideas of what I could be doing afterwards. And that maybe I could code up some nifty physics doodad or something to show future employers. Maybe not right now, but years down the road.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
How many applicants were there for Epic? Likewise, how many applicants are there generally for the CIA?

Sorry, I always get suspicious when statistics are put out.

Anyway, it's a helluvah competitive industry for sure. Everyone wants to be the next Miyamoto/Kojima/Blezinski/Molyneux/Ted Price/Sid Mier/what have you, to get that one big break, and while that is far from a likely scenario can you blame people for wanting to believe that?

Fuck, I still want to believe that. Just got to keep polishing those skills, network, connect, and pray to the gods of luck that I'll find some way to get in.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I don't even need to read this article as it is obviously a master piece as it features a storm trooper coming his hair.

EDIT: Also this is post 1666.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah...my skills with technology peak at web-browsing. I can't even edit photos on my own. I have no future in this industry.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
I'm not that good with computers, and seeing as my only game idea is a FPS/TPS that has 12 player co-op... I'll just stick with making mods.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Sounds about right. Just like being an artist, showing creativity and having a great portfolio is everything. I had to explain this to my parents and grandparents just the other day.

Personally, I like it. It's a much more honest system than a padded-resume and a degree, in my humble opinion.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
Hah... geeze. I always thought as a kid that I'd learn everything about game design once I got to college. Now that I'm here, it feels like its too late. The .4% doesn't inspire confidence, and I've been wondering for some time now about how many people that major in games actually end up getting jobs. And on top of that, the job security seems a little off-putting as far as studios that go down.
Though I see there is a great increase in indie developers, I don't know how exactly to compare them to the AAA industry as far as jobs go, because I don't quite understand them well enough. I'm working on an essay about the actual likelyhood of getting a job in the game industry and research is always a little more optimistic saying 'if you love it, risk it' rather than hard or even rough statistics, so if anyone wants to throw something my way I'd appreciate it.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
JeanLuc761 said:
hansari said:
Haha, you and me both. At the risk of sounding egotistical, I know I have great ideas that have a lot of potential but there's always this little nagging voice going "NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!"
Well there's only one way to find out, PROTOTYPING!

frazmacaz

Jul 10, 2008
First off, Escapist, your FB log-in thing is borked just now...

Back on topic, I've been climbing the career ladder for the last six years, starting as a games journalist, moving onto freelance game design consultancy, then freelance game design before securing a good contract with a large development studio and publisher for a job as a full-time game designer. I agree with everything in the article, but I also have some other bits of advice that I was glad to be given on my way in, that elaborate on those points.

1. First off, ideas are cheap in this industry. Everyone has millions of ideas. A good developer/designer, has way more good ideas than they will ever have the time/remit to work on. Your ideas may be amazing, but they won't be the thing that gets you hired. I think the best thing to realize is that a good quality filter is vital. If you have 100 ideas a day, you should bin at least 98 of them. Figuring out what 2% to devote more time to is the key.

Remaining on the topic of ideas, one of the things that is mentioned in the article is communication. Exceptional interpersonal skills, diplomacy and an ability to take strong criticism every day go a long way towards convincing others of the worth of your ideas. Similarly, an ability to present, articulately explain and document your thoughts is essential to making sure that other people on the team understand what it is that you are trying to create.

2. Realize that being a game designer doesn't mean brainstorming an idea for a whole game, and then getting to make that game. If only the world were that kind. If you get a job as a designer, you might be tasked with designing an achievements system, an in-game shop, a fishing mini-game or something else equally lacking in glamor. It's so important to tackle these sorts of tasks with the same enthusiasm and determination that you would if you were working on your own awesome idea for an FPS/RPG/Racing game. Besides, sometimes it's the little things that get a game noticed or give it that sense of polish.

3. Lastly, I'm so pleased to see that Kieth Friedly said that pen and paper game design samples are fine. I couldn't agree more here. As far as I'm concerned a game designer's main tools are not C++, Maya, 3DS Max etc. They are word, excel, photoshop, google sketch-up, whiteboards, mind mapping software - anything that helps you document or explain. I get really annoyed (especially in the UK) of reading game designer job requirement lists that read like that of a developer. Especially because these skills often go unused in the role. An understanding of what tools exist and what they are for (at least) is of course necessary, but that's obvious.

4. Keep a blog, update it regularly - illustrate that you read about the industry widely and often. Use this blog to house your portfolio (design docs, simple photoshop mock-ups etc.) Get business cards with your blog address on them. Attend events (try and get a press pass if you can - makes it a much cheaper affair), speak to people and hand out your cards to as many of them as possible. Follow that up with linked-in connection requests and network, network, network. It's not always about who you know, but it does often help.

Anyway - that's my two cents. In terms of standing out (i.e. the Stormtrooper example) you have to go your own way obviously. Hope this info was of use. It might be hard, but it's worth it and if you do the right things and keep at it, you stand as good a chance as you do at anything else. Good luck to everyone.