The Real Reason Crysis 2 is Coming to Consoles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Real Reason Crysis 2 is Coming to Consoles

Crysis [http://www.crytek.com/] would be released on consoles, but not for any of the reasons you might normally expect.

After a decade as a PC-exclusive developer, Crytek bemoaned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92092-Crysis-2-Goes-Multi-Platform] the state of PC gaming as rife with piracy, saying that Crytek was depriving itself of access to a far more important market by not making games for consoles.

But after the Crysis 2 announcement Yerli revealed that money wasn't the only reason for the decision, nor even the most important one. "It's a question of more than economics," he told GameSpot [http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6211802/console-crysis-was-inevitable]. "At the end of the day we're paying salaries and we all have to live, but that's one side of this job. But most importantly and a bit more tangible to us are the families, the nephews, and sons who ask, 'Why aren't you going to consoles?' It's kind of like bothering people. We've been asked a lot in the last three or four years now, 'When consoles? When consoles? When consoles?' It was literally inevitable that we would bring it."

Still, Yerli said Crytek didn't commit itself to a console version of Crysis 2 until it was sure the game could be done properly. "There was two to three years of technical research and development into consoles before development on Crysis 2 started," he continued. "We had to make a technological breakthrough before we could commit to those quality bars... We had to make a technical base before we could get into great gameplay, story, settings, etc."

Nothing like some intensive videogame development to put a smile on the face of a child - or shut him up, as the case may be. Crysis 2 hasn't been given a release target but it sounds like Yerli and the team have bought themselves a little peace and quiet, at least for awhile.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Well as long as it comes to consoles then I don't care why they do it!
I've got my netbook for simple PC gaming, but nothing new. Everything else is on my 360!

So this is good news to me, regardless of their 'motivations'!

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Well, I dont really care WHY, I just like that it is. It means no more Graphics driver updates and Lots of lag! Hopefully we will still get a good map editor like they did for FC2.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Malygris said:
Nothing like some intensive videogame development to put a smile on the face of a child - or shut him up, as the case may be. Crysis 2 hasn't been given a release target but it sounds like Yerli and the team have bought themselves a little peace and quiet, at least for awhile.
Wait, are you suggesting that we send children to a game development studio and make them work on the games as punishment?

Awesome!

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
I hope it comes with a Sandbox level editor, like the one in Far Cry 2, but include bots on both sides.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Malygris said:
There was two to three years of technical research and development into consoles before development on Crysis 2 started," he continued.b>
So they were researching the possibility of Crysis 2 being on consoles before Crysis 1 had even been released? I know the ending kind of made it inevitable that a sequel would be released, but this is just ridiculous. I'm all for leaving the possibility for a sequel open, but actually planning your sequel before the first game has even been released just seems stupid to me.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Ashbax said:
Well, I dont really care WHY, I just like that it is. It means no more Graphics driver updates and Lots of lag! Hopefully we will still get a good map editor like they did for FC2.
Uncompetative said:
I hope it comes with a Sandbox level editor, like the one in Far Cry 2, but include bots on both sides.
People, stop associating Far Cry 2 with CryTek, and espcially with Crysis. They are two totally different game, made by different companies, using different engines!

El_Chubba_Chubba

Mar 13, 2009
Anachronism said:
Malygris said:
There was two to three years of technical research and development into consoles before development on Crysis 2 started," he continued.b>
So they were researching the possibility of Crysis 2 being on consoles before Crysis 1 had even been released? I know the ending kind of made it inevitable that a sequel would be released, but this is just ridiculous. I'm all for leaving the possibility for a sequel open, but actually planning your sequel before the first game has even been released just seems stupid to me.
Isn't that what valve did with Half-life AND the sequels to Half-Life 2. Its not that stupid really, because it prevents really crap sequels from coming out. :)

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
El_Chubba_Chubba said:
Anachronism said:
Malygris said:
Isn't that what valve did with Half-life AND the sequels to Half-Life 2. Its not that stupid really, because it prevents really crap sequels from coming out. :)
Well, they definitely planned it for the HL2 Episodes, but by that stage we all knew that HL2 was going to be the middle child, and that there would be a game, or games, following on from it to finish the story. HL1 left the possibility for a sequel open but didn't demand it, and considering how long Valve took to develop HL2, I don't think we can really say they'd been planning it since before HL1's release.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Anachronism said:
Malygris said:
Lot of companies have been doing this. Too Human devlopers said that it would be a triology right from the start, same with Mass Effect and Assasin's Creed's devlopers. It is stupid though because if your first game fails, you have a cliff hanger that will never be finished.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Nimbus said:
Ashbax said:
Uncompetative said:
People, stop associating Far Cry 2 with CryTek, and espcially with Crysis. They are two totally different game, made by different companies, using different engines!
Ubisoft took the CryEngine and threw away most of the stuff that made it slow (and gorgeous). I'm confident that they wouldn't have been able to write the replacement parts to make Far Cry 2 without this solid framework. Is the level editor the same in both games? Of course not, but it is uncannily similar. Ubisoft would have had access to this as part of the tools bought from Crytek and probably included a very similar in-game editor for the console as a result. So, you could say that Crytek gave them inspiration, a framework to muck around with and pare down and a much needed running start on what would otherwise have been a daunting project.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Am I the only one who laughed when they called Crysis a hit FPS?

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Well if anyone can do it Crytek can
The engine even supports console real-time engine editing even I could create levels in Crysis imagine what an actual developer could do with the tools

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
I just hope they dont hamstring the PC version because of the limitations of consoles and their controllers.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Chaos Marine said:
I just hope they dont hamstring the PC version because of the limitations of consoles and their controllers.
Dont worry Crytek have shown their ability to make scalable game engines