ESRB Unveils Automatic Rating System

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
ESRB Unveils Automatic Rating System

The ESRB won't look at downloadable games until after release, following a change in its the rating procedure.

The difficult and largely thankless task of applying ratings to videogames will no longer be the work of humans - at least, not the humans at the ESRB, anyway. The ESRB has set up an automated system that will apply a rating based on a number of different criteria.

Anyone who submits an online game for rating will have to answer a number of questions in order to gauge just how strong or mild the game's content actually is. There are a number of categories, such as offensive language, violence and sexual content, which in turn break down into sub-categories. The section dealing with offensive language, for example, splits into six different areas, which include racial slurs, toilet humor, and rather oddly, an entire category for the word "ass." Publishers will also have to submit a DVD of the game's worst content, and once that is received the ESRB will issue the rating

The software that assigns ratings is supposedly designed to react like a typical American consumer, which is probably a lot less ominous than it sounds. There will be penalties dished out for publishers or developers who submit incorrect information on the questionnaire, and someone at the ESRB will play each game shortly after it is released to the public to make sure that everything is on the level. Presumably, this will be a fairly short play session, rather than an in-depth review, as that would rather defeat the point of the questionnaire. This new system will not affect retail games, which will still be rated by the usual method of three different raters watching DVDs of the game's content and assigning a rating based on what they've seen.

ESRB president Patrica Vance said that the system that the ESRB uses was put in place in 1994, long before the advent of online gaming. She added that the new system looked at the same elements as the old one did, but was more "affordable and accessible." It's not hard to see why the ESRB would want to automate some aspect of the rating process - there is only so much time in the day, and over the course of a year, the ESRB looks at hundreds of games - but waiting until after release to play the game sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Source: New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/18/arts/video-games/video-games-rating-board-questionnaire.html?_r=1] via MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43986/ESRB-automates-ratings-process]

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
So, there is a job at ESRB that involves playing games and going "yep, they were right, there is an ungodly amount of ass and feces in this game"?

... Where can I sign up?

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
dogstile said:
So, there is a job at ESRB that involves playing games and going "yep, they were right, there is an ungodly amount of ass and feces in this game"?

... Where can I sign up?
But you can only play 5 minutes of the game.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
dogstile said:
So, there is a job at ESRB that involves playing games and going "yep, they were right, there is an ungodly amount of ass and feces in this game. NEXT PLEASE!"?

... Where can I sign up?
Fix'd.

And yes, you can put my name down there too.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I could see this system working if there were stiff enough penalties for lying, such as between 25-100% of total sales depend on severity, and perhaps forfeiture of the right to claim a rating in the future, based not on company but on the owners of said company (frankly companies "restructure" all the time)

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Rating systems are inherently corrupt.

See: This Film Is Not Yet Rated [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493459/] for more a good explanation.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
It opens the system up to accidental and deliberate misrepresentation. But, as far as I understand it, the system has no basis in law so means very little anyway.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
HankMan said:
And while we're dreaming I want my own Island fortress, cats and dogs to get along, and Transformers 3 not to suck.
Insanity! Good lord, man, you ask the impossible! Transformers 3 not suck? Crazy!

beema

Aug 19, 2009
The way esrb works is bizarre anyways. They get three random people to watch a video of all of a game's self-selected "worst" content stitched together without any context.

So maybe a game has the word "ass" in it 20 times over the course of 20+ hours of play. All the raters see is someone saying ass 20 times in rapid succession. Of course it makes it look bad. If I saw that I would think the game is complete garbage.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Rating systems are inherently corrupt.

See: This Film Is Not Yet Rated [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493459/] for more a good explanation.
Yeah, but I rarely see a game get threatened with a AO rating. Plus, if a person wants more sexually explicit stuff in games, there is always mods.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I could see why they wanna do this. As more and more games come out, with more platforms, they have a ton on their hands to do. They probably need to find faster ways to get it all done or else have a massive hiring

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
PoweD said:
dogstile said:

... Where can I sign up?
But you can only play 5 minutes of the game.
yeah I was gonna say...maybe they should actually PLAY the games

developers can just give them games "put under the pussification ray" (excuse the Yahtzee phrase haha) LOL. a baby easy mode that makes the E3 demos look like hard difficulty

ctuncks

Oct 18, 2004
How about this scenario then, "My game doesn't have the word ass anywhere in it, it may however have the word arse several times."

For those not in the know that's the Commonwealth spelling of the word.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
who here wants to make the first adult downloadable game for XBLA (but it must be classy) im thinking of making a Bishoujo now more then ever.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
ctuncks said:
How about this scenario then, "My game doesn't have the word ass anywhere in it, it may however have the word arse several times."

For those not in the know that's the Commonwealth spelling of the word.
i really wanna see the form so i can make a adult game that goes around it

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
tkioz said:
I could see this system working if there were stiff enough penalties for lying, such as between 25-100% of total sales depend on severity, and perhaps forfeiture of the right to claim a rating in the future, based not on company but on the owners of said company (frankly companies "restructure" all the time)
Sadly, ESRB is an independent organisation with no real legal power. So yeah, personally, I'm seeing problems with this.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
So now the ESRB wants us to do their job for them? I get that there are a lot of games being released, but either hire a sufficient staff or stop trying.

Why do we still listen to what these clowns think?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I'm curious what the penalty is for lying on those is?
Is it jail time? Because that's what happens when you falsify on any federal document for example.
Or the way more likely answer (considering ESRB isn't a gov't entity). Some kind butt-violating fine?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
sooperman said:
So now the ESRB wants us to do their job for them?
No. I don't know what article you read, but the one I read said that the developer and/or publisher has to fill out a questionnaire about their game and send in a DVD, and then when the game comes out, someone at the ESRB will play it. What part of that involved us doing their job for them, exactly?