EA Confirms Battlefield 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Confirms Battlefield 3

Activision's [http://www.ea.com] dominance of the military shooter genre.

Released in 2005, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare [http://www.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield/bf2/], the 2007 Activision FPS that went on to be the best-selling game of the year.

Modern Warfare 2 [http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/] is set to come out later this year and Activision is planning for even bigger sales this time around, but EA no longer appears willing to let that thunder go unstolen. "We have a lot of IP in that [shooter] area, and we have not not noticed that Call of Duty has a significant share of that business," EA Chief Operating Officer John Pleasants said during a question-and-answer session with industry analysts. "We are putting a real concentrated effort behind those titles. Battlefield happens to be one of them."

"I've had the luxury of looking at Battlefield 3 over at DICE [http://www.dice.se/] over in Sweden. I was highly impressed by the way the people were working on that product," he continued. "That's not for this fiscal year [which ends March 31, 2010], but that is a product that is looking very good."

Pleasants said that Army of Two: The 40th Day [http://www.battlefield1943.com/].

Source: GameSpot [http://au.gamespot.com/news/6211809.html]

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Well Battlefield 2 is fantastic. I hope Battlefield 3 can live up to Expectations.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Big hopes for BF3. Nice to hear they're giving DICE lots and lots of time to make it as well.

To be honest it's whole success (with me) will depend on how heavy/dumb the DRM in it is. BF2's could be slightly annoying but it worked and kept track of your stats for you. BF 2142 decided I was a pirate after a few weeks (I wasn't) and locked me out, £35 down the drain and the EA's tech support on the issue amounted to 'Fuck You'.
As long as they've learned from the last coouple of years and toned down the omnicidal DRM it ought to be fantastic.

#Edit, finally an excuse to splash on a NW falcon...

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
I just had an orgasm. Hopefully they don't go all console on this and dumb it down to much.

I want at least 64 players damn it! Also what poster right over me said.

Puppeteer Putin

Jan 3, 2009
Awesome. I'm a sucker for anything Battlefield related... except the console releases.

Khell_Sennet said:
- Anti-Tankers should have enough ammo, and do enough damage, to actually be a threat to tanks.
I'll agree with more ammo - but they did do enough damage, just had to maneuver around the tank. I whore Anti-Tank like a mofo.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Hopefully, BF3 takes more hints from the school of BF2142 then of BF2. Namely:

Easy-to-learn, hard-to-master vehicles, not impossible-to-learn, rape-everything-once-you-do vehicles.

Anti-Air needs to be effective at you know....destroying air vehicles?

Anti-Vehicle Classes need more ammo, and more options.

Better weapon balance. (Voss non-withstanding.)

Less Gibralter/Karkand, more Minsk/Belgrade/Kubra Dam/Operation Smokescreen.

impactsickness

Apr 9, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
I just hope EA has learned some lessons from BF2/2142. Namely;

- Gimmicky new concepts like the Titan are only as good as the ability to play them lag-free.

- Realism comes second place to enjoyability and ease of use (hence why 1942 still has the bigger player base 7 years post-release).

- Jets are only fun if you can fly them (criticism of BF2, 2142 solved this somewhat).

- Achievements only encourage players to be dicks.

- Don't limit the co-op maps to small sizes only.

- Anti-Tankers should have enough ammo, and do enough damage, to actually be a threat to tanks.

- Give us back our f'ing NAVY!

- If you don't include Capture-The-Flag maps, the fans will never forgive you.[/QUOTE]
as a seasoned BF 1942-BC player i say.... amen

Ripshot

Aug 5, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
Hopefully, BF3 takes more hints from the school of BF2142 then of BF2. Namely:

Easy-to-learn, hard-to-master vehicles, not impossible-to-learn, rape-everything-once-you-do vehicles.

Anti-Air needs to be effective at you know....destroying air vehicles?

Anti-Vehicle Classes need more ammo, and more options.

Better weapon balance. (Voss non-withstanding.)

Less Gibralter/Karkand, more Minsk/Belgrade/Kubra Dam/Operation Smokescreen.
the anti-air/vehicle class/emplacements were pretty effective in Bad Company, they'll probably bring it back
also, I hope BF3 uses frostbite (don't see why it wouldn't)

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Psychosocial said:
ahna
whåpnawhånpawh´nawhonåawhöbnwhoawhpa¨hb

FANBOY FRENZY!

Battlefield 2 is perfection.
I would say that this would be my response.

Also:

Finally.

But it does pose the question, where the hell is Battlefield Heroes?

EDIT: Yes, I know the beta is out. And I'm playing it.

See my later post on the matter.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Psychosocial said:
curlycrouton said:
Psychosocial said:
ahna

FANBOY FRENZY!

Also:

Finally.

The beta for Battlefield: Heroes is running right now, you do know that, right? I got a beta key from Gamespot, but I doubt they have anyones left. So unless you're already in the beta, you'll just have to wait until it's released. :p
Oh yeah, but I'd like to be able to play the game with everyone. I've played the beta to death with random people from the internets, and I kept thinking one thing:

"This would be so much more fun with friends."

And that, is why I want Battlefield: Heroes to be released fully.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
curlycrouton said:
Psychosocial said:
ahna

FANBOY FRENZY!

Also:

Finally.

I'm playing it.... google does you good.

EDIT: Seen your reply now.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
me and my buddy Donut were just about to bust out BF2 and get some rounds in on it, but I can't find my disc. I'm gonna be fiending for this game once we get a release date, I hope I have a computer that will run it properly when it shows up. My computer still struggles a bit with BF2... mostly the MASSIVE load times!