Sega Hopes You Still Love Old-Fashioned Sonic

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010

Sega's newest entry into the Sonic franchise, Sonic Generations, celebrates the Hegehog's 20th anniversary with a time-travelling escapade through the games of his past.

In the latest ring-collecting, Eggman-thwarting, loop-running Sonic the Hedgehog outing coming later this year, modern 3D Sonic goes back in time to meet his former 2D self, and the pair (along with the usual pile of hangers-on) must thwart the mysterious evil power tearing the universe apart with "Time Holes."

"By having the classic 1991 Sonic that many fans know and love team up with his modern day incarnation," said David Corless, Global Brand Director for Sonic, "we are bringing back the nostalgia of the early days of Sonic and combining it with the innovation and stunning HD technology of the modern gaming era."

While I understand Sega's fond wish to take us back to a more innocent time in Sonic land, I just don't think it works that way. I'm sorry Sega, but it's going to take work before I forget about the past 10 years of terrible Sonic games. Throwing traditional 2D Sonic gameplay at me and yelling about how you're bringing back old Sonic just doesn't make up for Curse of the Werehog.

Terrible past games notwithstanding, Sonic Generations seems to be pulling a page or two from Sonic Colors, which was generally positively received, and the much-loved 2D side-scrolling formulas of yesteryear that helped Sonic the Hedgehog 4 grab some decent reviews [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8240-Review-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-4-Episode-1]. I'm not really sure how the game will blend the two styles, and that could be a weak point for this game. I suppose we'll find out late this year, when the game comes out for the 360 and PS3.

Source: Sega's Blog [http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/04/18/celebrate-20-years-of-sonic-with-sonic-generations/]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
You know what I would have loved, Sega? I would have loved that fan remake you killed off. You know, the one that's better than most crap with Sonic you put out. So no, I don't want to play your old fashioned "new" Sonic. Die in a fire.

Yours Truly,
Eri

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
I'm not gonna lie: I just don't care about Sonic at all anymore. They should let him go and put their money into new IPs instead.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I wish that Knuckles and Tails would be there. Despite common arguments, I think the Sonic series with Sonic and Eggman alone would be boring. Hell even Mario keeps slipping in extra characters every single time. Granted some only show up once, maybe a few times, but if it was nothing but Mario, and Nothing but Bowswer, it would have gotten old fast.

Xanar

Mar 27, 2011
Sega, *places hand on shoulder* stop trying. Please, you're just embarrassing yourself. It's over. It's been over.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Sonic colours was fun and I got a wicked Sonic Hat, also enjoyed Sonic 4:Episode 1.

I'll at least take the time and look over reviews from both outlets and users before I make my decision on this game. Unless it comes with Free Sonic Shoe Slippers as a pre-order incentive or something =p

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Sonic's been dead for so long, his corpse no longer stinks. And Sega continues to use the defibrillator on the bones.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Sega, I want you to listen to me very carefully. You are a good company, you have made many great games, but it's time to move on. You've done all you could with Sonic, and while we've had our ups and downs, it was a good run.
NOW GET OFF YOUR ASS, STOP MAKING SONIC GAMES, AND MAKE ANOTHER JET SET RADIO DAMN IT!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I do, SEGA. That's why I have this:

You can keep yet another new game where you're bound to miss the point and think that just by making it look more classic (Sonic 4 did it with recycled bosses and checkboard patterns in the first level, and this one is doing it by making Sonic look different), though. I've had quite enough of that. Nothing new you have made in the past 10 years or so has brought me any enjoyment whatsoever. I'm done buying new Sonic games, and I'm done playing them even if I can do so at no cost to me. They just aren't worth my time anymore when I could be playing something I do find fun. Hell, you didn't even get Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection right as far as the Sonic part goes (no Sonic and Knuckles lock-on games = failure), although granted it makes for a nice collection of OTHER Genesis games. Just not Sonic ones.

Also, let me make one thing perfectly clear to everyone now: I don't care how much you liked Sonic 4 or Sonic Colors. I tried them both too and I did not like them. So you can sit there and write out some reply to my comment above about how much better things are after 4 and Colors, but I'm not going to respond, because you liking those two games isn't going to magically make them any more fun for me.
P.S. I didn't think the daytime bits of Unleashed were any fun either, so that one also isn't going to get you anywhere.

WorldCritic said:
NOW GET OFF YOUR ASS, STOP MAKING SONIC GAMES, AND MAKE ANOTHER JET SET RADIO DAMN IT!
While we're making requests, I would like to see them send some money over to Monolith so they can bring us Condemned 3.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
This reminds me, I really need to pick up a Genesis next time I'm at Play-n-Trade...and Altered Beast.

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Um... why did they feel the need to have two Sonic's?

Or is that question going to sound like "why did there have to be another Friedberg and Seltzer movie?"

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Scott Bullock said:
In the latest ring-collecting, Eggman-thwarting, loop-running Sonic the Hedgehog outing coming later this year, modern 3D Sonic goes back in time to meet his former 2D self,
If there was a cutscene where 2D Sonic sees 3D Sonic and collapses into a blubbering mass wailing "WHAT HAVE I BECOME?! HOW DID I LET THIS HAPPEN!?" then it would be worth a look.

Otherwise.... Eh, think I'll just ignore it.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
A Wikipedia search reveals that this game is being made by Sonic Team. As such, I shall not be playing it. They're really bad at making games.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
So far this looks like it could be promising. However that has been said for all of the recent sonic titles. I'll keep my eye on it but interest is low.

Now a Sonic Adventure 3 made by the old Sonic team...... Sadly one can only dream.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
What's the difference between classic Sonic and modern Sonic? They look the same to me. Anyway...yeah, this looks like Sonic gameplay. I haven't played any Sonic games sinces #2 on my old Game Gear, though.