THQ Boss Challenges $60 Price Point

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
THQ Boss Challenges $60 Price Point

THQ's top executive questions wants to offer lower priced games with customizable DLC.

The standard price for PS3 or Xbox 360 games is $60 whether the experience lasts 5 hours or 50. That high price is what pushes consumers to purchase used games or even piracy, neither of which are good for the videogame industry as a whole. The CEO of publisher THQ, Brian Farrell, said that he is experimenting with breaking from the $60 standard for AAA games by offering the racing game MX vs. ATV Alive for $40, and then supporting it with an aggressive DLC schedule. Farrell has seen the success of the free-to-play business model in casual games like FarmVille and MMOs like LOTRO and thinks he can adapt that concept to the console market.

"With MX vs. ATV Alive, we are experimenting with delivering a customizable experience for the player in a brand new pricing model," Farrell said. "It's an innovative concept based on what we've seen in the free-to-play markets. We're delivering a premium game experience at an SRP of $39.99 in order to drive the installed base of users, and then digitally delivering over 100 pieces of downloadable content and an in-game store for micro-transactions, allowing the gamer to customize their experience and pay for the modes that they want to play."

Farrell made it clear that the $40 game isn't gimped at all, but the player can invest more in the kind of game he wants to play. "Fans will soon see that the lower price does not mean a lesser product. MX vs. ATV: Alive has an extensive selection of tracks, vehicles, game modes, gear and much more to keep gamers engaged," he said. "For example, the Motoclub shop in MX vs. ATV: Alive - the in-game store will allow players to purchase content from inside the game rather than having to purchase it through the Xbox LIVE marketplace. I think it is a great example of how a triple A console game can participate in the micro-transaction model."

The idea of only paying for the modes that you want has some merit. If you're like me, and you couldn't care a whit about playing online, it's sometimes frustrating when the single-player experience seems short-changed. I won't buy shooters now unless I know the campaign is worth my time, but if I could purchase just that portion without handing over the full 60 bucks, I might think again.

The converse is also true, people who only play against other people online might be more likely to try a new title if they could drop less money on just that part of the game. I could then see those people being more inclined to buy map packs, or other multiplayer modes.

What do you guys think? Are microtransactions like what Farrell is proposing for MX vs. ATV: Alive the future of console games?

Source: Forbes [http://blogs.forbes.com/insertcoin/2011/04/18/thq-ceo-takes-on-the-game-industrys-60-price-point/]

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
As there are definitely many games that are not worth $60, this is a great idea.
Unfortunately after a few publishers do it with some success, EA, Capcom, & Activision will start selling $40 demos where the bulk of the game is from DLC.
I might have actually bought MvC 3 for $40.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Jaranja said:
Art Axiv said:
I wish there wouldn't be DLC.
So you want continual updates for free? Not going to happen.
No, I think he wants expansions...or sequels, or an environment where developers can't go "we'll give it as a DLC later on".

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Traun said:
Jaranja said:
Art Axiv said:
No, I think he wants expansions...or equals.
Yes! Polished expansions are a huge yes in my book! It's a fact that DLC never improved the gaming experience I've got from a game. I consider it a huge bottomless pit of low-quality gaming experiences.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Art Axiv said:
Jaranja said:
Art Axiv said:
I'm a perfectionist, I'd like my products completed and bug-free.
I believe you need to find a new hobby then... there never has, and never will be a Bug-free game. At least, until we make computers powerful enough to design their own games....

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Depends on how gimped the game actually is for $40. With a disc-based release, you have to have something on the disc to justify that initial investment. With a downloadable title, you could create a "shell" of sorts as the main item you need to download (possibly free), and then add on the single and multiplayer modes as needed. A disc-based release might not work so well with this, but what the heck? Give it a try.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Braedan said:
Art Axiv said:
Jaranja said:
Art Axiv said:
I'm a perfectionist, I'd like my products completed and bug-free.
I believe you need to find a new hobby then... there never has, and never will be a Bug-free game. At least, until we make computers powerful enough to design their own games....
I put bugs in three categories: The ones that break the game, the ones you can't see unless you really look for them and the funny ones. I can live with the latter ones, but the first type just does it for me.

Apr 28, 2008
Art Axiv said:
They either can make DLC or the publisher can fire a chunk of the studio after the game reaches content complete.

OT: I for one would love cheaper games. However I know for a fact that other publishers(EA, Activision, most likely Ubisoft) would cock it up.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
What I posted on Facebook about this 3 months ago:
"Apparently, THQ thinks that "the future of gaming" is releasing a deliberately unfinished game at a lower price point and completing it through DLC. That is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard. If I buy a game, it better well be a FULL game."
Pretty much my opinion now.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Irridium said:
Art Axiv said:
They either can make DLC or the publisher can fire a chunk of the studio after the game reaches content complete.
Or they could redirect them to work on another project...like they did for decades and are still doing so.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Jaranja said:
Art Axiv said:
Why not? Nexon's line of free-to-play games have been getting new content on a near monthly basis for no money at all.

Apr 28, 2008
Traun said:
Irridium said:
Art Axiv said:
Or they could redirect them to work on another project...like they did for decades and are still doing so.
That would require the game they just worked on to be a success. Which is something thats not easily predictable.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hm...if done correctly, this could be a very good idea. Developers have to keep up on the promise of the DLC though.