221: The Language of the Game

Pat M.

Jul 11, 2006
The Language of the Game

Ever felt the need to shout "ding!" after a raise or a promotion? Then you're already familiar with the concept of "talking in Game." Pat Miller takes a closer look at how gamers are communicating with each other the best way they can: by mining their favorite games for terminology.

Read Full Article

chantzzzzz

Nov 7, 2008
I can't honestly say that I've used video game speak to that extent in my life. I've used it jokingly before, but if someone had actually said some of those things to me, I would have wondered why they are taking such pains to explain something in such a roundabout manner. Nothing wrong with it, of course (I know people who have used D&D speak to describe real life), but some of the dialogue seems a bit...over the top, in my opinion.

Sep 6, 2009
Sometimes I'll slip into things like that. For example, once I caught a friend looking at my homework and I called him a screen watcher.

But normally, I use music terms and references in real life. It's always funny to see somebody ponder my word choice when I say fretting or something of the like.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
That was by far the nerdiest article that I've read in some time. I'll admit to using game jargon here and there, but not in terms of someone coaching you in fighting games being the equivalent of dating advice. I gotta say...I'm a bit impressed, but extremely bemused. Well said, sir, well said.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Meh. I doubt you wouldn't find the same thing in any subculture. Don't you think musician might compare their relationships to the ease or lack thereof of playing a song, or how different brands of instruments handle? Hell, just a few weeks ago there was an article saying pretty much the same thing about Star Trek, and I only came here to post this because I wrote 'to boldy go' on an entirely different site and reminded myself of it.

Pat M.

Jul 11, 2006
Yukichin said:
I've... never heard someone speak like that, not even the nerdiest of my friends.
Your friends are scrubs. Tell them to level up.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
I've used it constantly, leveling up (improved my life situation), job change (job change), grinding (the 9-5), stick to your own lane (stay away from my customer), mid boss, pwned, noob etc

fogmike

Jul 31, 2009
The Random One said:
Meh. I doubt you wouldn't find the same thing in any subculture. Don't you think musician might compare their relationships to the ease or lack thereof of playing a song.
Guy talking to friend about girl he likes, but way over his head:

"Flight of the bumblebee, learn it or burn it?"

VickyBit

Sep 23, 2009
I couldn't help but to speak in Game after playing Persona 4 D:
"Hey man, I'm gonna go out and grind my social ranks" (Hang out with my friends)

VaioStreams

May 7, 2008
I find myself doing this often but less with fighting games and more with RPGs or Action games. Just the other night after a session of Lost Planet 2 I mentioned to a friend.

"I swear. this woman is like a green eye. runs in circles but completely unpredictable"

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
Had a friend who once said over xbl "be right back, going to heal". After relising what he just said, he started thinking he might want to cut back on WoW a bit.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Um, I've been playing video games for 22 years, and I've never had any desire to speak this way. None of my friends speak this way, either. If I ever heard saying anything like that, I think I'd be tempted to introduce their face to my mano de pimp.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Yeah I've never spoken this way and I've been playing games since 1988, nor do any of my friends speak this way. This is... stupid.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Well, not like that really, but I do use games alot to explain things on here. Mostly in a comparitive way.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
'Wheres my rag of cleanliness?'.
Most of the time I make a 'nerdy' comment it's an accident. At a certain point games are just so much a part of you that you fail to realize you're doing it at all.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
That's funny, because I never talk like that.

I'm a pretty hardcore gamer, I've been known to beat games literally the day I get them in 8 hour+ sessions, but I've never talked in Game. I get the concept, and have even heard some of my friends do it, but it just... never clicked with me.