221: The Language of the Game

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
I guess I use "lol" when I'm watching movies with friends to mean a moment that the movie wants to be funny or surprising but really isn't at all.

Like: Luke, I am your father. "Lol!"

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
fogmike said:
The Random One said:
Meh. I doubt you wouldn't find the same thing in any subculture. Don't you think musician might compare their relationships to the ease or lack thereof of playing a song.
Guy talking to friend about girl he likes, but way over his head:

"Flight of the bumblebee, learn it or burn it?"

Actually no.

No musician does that. Ever.

I promise.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
Speaking in game terms outside of games is rarely a matter of communicating much more than "I'm a member of this group." It's the same thing as mentioning an in-joke among friends, or slang in any number of professions like sailors or IT professionals. It's frequently too contrived to be useful in and of itself.

fogmike

Jul 31, 2009
ShredHead said:
fogmike said:
The Random One said:
Meh. I doubt you wouldn't find the same thing in any subculture. Don't you think musician might compare their relationships to the ease or lack thereof of playing a song.

Actually no.

I promise.
Alex, if you're going to quote me, you have to get your act together and give my game back. Otherwise, you have no right to do anything with my words. Oh, and God says hi.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
fogmike said:
ShredHead said:
fogmike said:
The Random One said:

Actually no.

I promise.
Alex, if you're going to quote me, you have to get your act together and give my game back. Otherwise, you have no right to do anything with my words. Oh, and God says hi.

Well so does ... um. Idiot.

NikolaiTampernun

Aug 31, 2009
Oh, come on. It's still English. Other languages have their subculture slang as well. If you ever put that you speak "Gamer" on a resume, you will get laughed at. This really isn't worth writing an article about.

Frederf

Nov 5, 2007
Then it must have been even less worthwhile to comment on! And a comment about such a comment... well you get the picture.

I had a friend open a fridge and turn to his colleague to utter "Huh, someone deleted the milk." There was a long pause before the speaker realized what he had said.

Personally I once flushed a toilet that malfunctioned and I thought to myself, ver betim, "Hmm, that's not the proper flushing animation."

As for the really forced and labored video game speak attempts... lame.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I don't have to force gamespeak. I'm naturally fluent in it, but reign it in to games and contexts whoever I'm talking to is familiar with. Generally, it's more personalised language that a whole "dialect of gamer". I speak in GGX terminology from time to time. Mostly I'm just a tropespeaker [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage]. I can use singular trope names as complete sentences as part of a logical conversation with someone unversed in tropes and still make sense.

fogmike

Jul 31, 2009
ShredHead said:
fogmike said:
ShredHead said:
fogmike said:
The Random One said:

Actually no.

I promise.

Well so does ... um. Idiot.
Yeah, I thought so.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Well written! Can't say I've done anything like the fighting game analogue myself, but the opening paragraph rang pretty true for me. Sometimes I get a little enthusiastic when I meet another gamer and go off on a tirade, only to realize that other people are looking at us like we're insane. Good times.

ThePyr said:
Oh, come on. It's still English. Other languages have their subculture slang as well. If you ever put that you speak "Gamer" on a resume, you will get laughed at. This really isn't worth writing an article about.
Really? Something's not worth talking about if you can't put it on a resume?

rhizic

Nov 14, 2007
Good read, I think it's definatly something to do with absorbing the pop culture and languages (even if created in a game studio) around us. plus you get to be cool in that selectivly geek manner. I think my most common one is f6 (my usual mapped quick save) when I'm about go into something major // tests / sex / night of narcotics etc etc, and f7 when things just dont go right...

I also say things from sci fi too... particluar firefly.. geekage.

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
As someone who once walked into a door and immediately looked for the quickload button, I know exactly what this article is talking about.

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
Yeah, sorry, can't say I've ever done this.

Although if someone came up to me using fighting game terms asking for advice on such matters, I think I would have to respond with the following:

"You know, there's really only one possible result for this relationship. FATALITY."