New 2D Glasses Remove That Pesky Extra Dimension From Movies

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New 2D Glasses Remove That Pesky Extra Dimension From Movies

Lens trickery gives wearers the awesome power to make 3D movie effects go away.

Picture the scene: You're planning a trip to the movies with a group of friends and they want to go see some big Hollywood blockbuster in 3D. Unfortunately, you're not keen on 3D movies because they give you headaches. Ordinarily, this would be a tricky problem to solve, but with a pair of 2D glasses, you can enjoy the same movie as your friends without going home with a migraine.

3D movies work by projecting two images on to the screen, and the 3D glasses you get at the movies have a different lens for each eye that blocks one of the images, but not the other. As the images are taken from different angles, when your brain puts them together, it creates the illusion of depth. The 2D glasses operate in a very similar way to their 3D counterparts, but with one key difference: the lenses are the same on both sides. This means that you only see one picture, so that if you don't want to - or can't - watch 3D movies, you can still go into the theater with your friends

The 2D glasses were created by Hank Green, after he discovered that his wife was one of those people who couldn't watch 3D movies without getting the aforementioned headaches. Not wanting to cause his wife pain, he got out his tools and made the first prototype. They worked like a charm, and he very quickly had orders for ten more pairs. Realizing that making the 2D glasses out of parts taken from the movie theater wasn't going to work forever, he decided to invest in getting them made properly.

If you're interested in a pair of 2D glasses, you can buy them on Green's site [http://www.2d-glasses.com/] for eight bucks plus shipping. Unless you're friends with a lot of 3D movie buffs you probably won't get a whole lot of use out of them, but it might be handy to have a pair lying around, just in case.

Source: Dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2011/04/2d-glasses-stri.php]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I might buy one just so I can say I did.

One of those useless things that are a great novelty

Cannorn

Jan 27, 2010
Am I the only one thinking they would be great to mess with people as a practical joke as well?

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
They could have at least made them not as ugly as the 3D glasses...

Great idea though. Sure you're still getting screwed on the higher ticket cost because "oh mah god it r 3D!!" but at least now if you have issues viewing 3D it can help you actually watch the movie.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Unless they can make themselves stick to the glasses I already wear, or come in perscriptions, then I still won't be using them.

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
So now I can pay an extra $5 to watch a movie in a way that would normally cost $5 less with friends who should be thrown in a pit of burning copies of The Goonies for talking during a film aren't speaking to me in the theatre?

...great.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Myself and all of my friends are all pretty against the 3D gimmick, so if we have the option we always see a movie in 2D. Though I also don't really mind 3D either. My only problem is when I do go see a movie in 3D having to wear a big bulky pair of glasses over top of my corrective prescription glasses is a big pain in the ass.

I might actually -like- seeing movies in 3D if I could somehow attach the 3D lenses to my face without becoming a 6-eyed monster.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
hmm paying the up charge for a 3D movie just so you can watch it in 2D (x.x)

One of those cases where you tell your 'friends' you can't watch 3D movies and would rather pay less to watch the 2D version FOR THE SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE.

Seriously, i've watched Avatar in 2D and 3D and tell you the truth, i did not get anything extra from the 3D version other than a strange feeling that i've missed some of the gorgeous visuals in the background.

Catchy Slogan said:
Unless they can make themselves stick to the glasses I already wear, or come in perscriptions, then I still won't be using them.
also what he said.

Tho i plan on getting contacts soon. over ear headsets really dig them frames in after prolong use.

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
I'd get them, I hate 3D but all the screenings for big movies now are in 3D, it's so hard to get a 2D session in comparison and all my friends want 3D

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
hmm paying the up charge for a 3D movie just so you can watch it in 2D (x.x)

One of those cases where you tell your 'friends' you can't watch 3D movies and would rather pay less to watch the 2D version FOR THE SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE.

Seriously, i've watched Avatar in 2D and 3D and tell you the truth, i did not get anything extra from the 3D version other than a strange feeling that i've missed some of the gorgeous visuals in the background.

Catchy Slogan said:
also what he said.

Tho i plan on getting contacts soon. over ear headsets really dig them frames in after prolong use.
I'm with you on 3D adding nothing to the experience. Actually when I watched Avatar in 3D, I think it detracted from my experience. I was so busy trying to point out the 3D elements to myself to make it worth the extra money that I didn't really give myself the chance to enjoy the movie for the first 20 minutes or so. When I realized that, I just sat back and enjoyed the show. I've watched Avatar in 2D and found it just as enjoyable. To me, 3D adds nothing. I either don't notice it, or it is wasted. Little more than a gimmick.

I'd actually almost buy these out of protest. I have no love for 3D effects.

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
Hank Green http://www.2d-glasses.com/story said:
Instead of ?recycling? the 3D glasses that my wife and I used during the movie, I took them home. After a lot of poking and twisting and gluing and cutting and cursing and sawing, I had created my first pair of 2D Glasses."
Hang on. So I can make these myself by poking out the right lens of the 3D Glasses and replacing it with the left lens of another pair?

Thanks Hank, I think I will try this at home.

AnthonyMS

Dec 6, 2003
(At least at theathers in my area) So, I can pay more per ticket to watch a 3d movie in 2d instead of just buying a ticket to see the 2d version of the SAME movie?

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
Man, that's cool. Now if only they could make glasses that would fix the massive dimming problems that 3D glasses cause.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Citizen Snips said:
So now I can pay an extra $5 to watch a movie in a way that would normally cost $5 less with friends who should be thrown in a pit of burning copies of The Goonies for talking during a film aren't speaking to me in the theatre?

...great.
Actually you're spending $8 (the cost of the glasses) so you can purchase that more experience ticket and experience at the value of the cheaper ticket :D

My wife is a migrainer and my mother only has vision in one eye - whenever we go to see movies we just don't go to 3D showings.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Though this wouldn't work at theaters with active shutter glasses. Nevertheless if people really don't want to see a 3D film in 3D then good for them.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
hahaa this is awesome
I thought it was a headline from The Onion

I was going to say, you could always just go see the non-3D version, but I guess some people have friends who insist on it.

azra_jael

Mar 19, 2010
Actually I would find these very helpful. The theatre in my town isn't very big, so sometimes it shows a movie in only 3D and doesn't offer it in 2D. I'm not a huge fan of 3D so my options are either watch in 3D or not at all. Usually I go with not at all, but some movies you just need to see in theatres...