See Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal in HD

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
See Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal in HD

Both fantasy movies from the 1980s using Jim Henson-created puppets will be shown in high definition for the first time this May.

Man, I loved watching these movies when I was a kid. On May 30th, Memorial Day here in the States, Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal will be shown back to back on the independent channel HDNet owned by billionaire entrepreneur Mark Cuban. The 8pm showing will mark the first time that these seminal fantasy films will be exhibited in HD resolution and the first time they'll be shown on TV in almost 10 years. Bringing back these movies is in part to celebrate Labyrinth's 25th anniversary but also the spirit in which they were created by Jim Henson.

"As one the last independent networks, HDNet tries to find content that embodies that independent spirit. No movies are more unique and independent in mind and spirit than Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth," Cuban said.

Labyrinth (1986) stars David Bowie as the Goblin King and a very young Jennifer Connelly as a girl who must travel through a fantasy realm in order to retrieve her baby brother. The film features some iconic moments and great puppet characters ("No, I said 'allo but that's close enough.") as well as some not-so-iconic scenes like the weird singing sequences. Yeah, Labyrinth doesn't really hold up to an adult viewing, but I'd still watch it again if only for nostalgia.

The Dark Crystal (1982) on the the other hand is just spectacular almost 30 years after it was released. I think that's because of the amazing character that Jim Henson and Frank Oz were able to evoke with the Gelflings and the Skeksis. The creepy bird people - inspiration for the Arrakoa in World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade - are equal parts terrifying, pitiful and adorable, and discovering the story explaining their connection to the benevolent urRu is still enchanting even if you watch The Dark Crystal for the first time today.

What these two films share is an appreciation for the lost art of movie magic through analog special effects. All of the fantastic creatures were created using physical puppets without the use of digital manipulation and I don't think the story or presentation suffers because of it. In fact, the realness of the reptilian skin of the Skeksis, or the stringy heir of the Junk Lady, roots the fantastic story in images that the viewer can viscerally appreciate.

If you get the cable channel HDNet, you could do a lot worse on Memorial Day than watching these great artifacts from a bygone era.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/labyrinth-dark-crystal-be-relaunched-180692]

Feb 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Yeah, Labyrinth doesn't really hold up to an adult viewing,
*backs away slowly*

Not a wise thing to say...

BTW, film buffs, Dark Crystal is an epic fantasy with NO humanocentric characters. Stick that, Michael Bay :p

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Fuck yes childhood nostalgia party at my house!
both these movies kick ass, even as an adult
also both the Skesis and David Bowie are fucking scary so I dunno how either were kids movies.

btw if you like these, Netflix has Jim Henson's The Storyteller (starring the awesome John Hurt) on streaming now.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Greg Tito said:
Yeah, Labyrinth doesn't really hold up to an adult viewing,
*backs away slowly*

Not a wise thing to say...
Indeed. He chose poorly. I actually got to see Labyrinth again in the theater a couple years ago when a local independent theater randomly screened it one day (back to back with Paprika, which made for an interesting day). I like it as an adult, and not because of nostalgia. I was around when it came out, but I never got around to seeing it until maybe five years ago.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Oh hell yes...if only I could catch this. Oh well, I'll go back-to-back with my DVDs instead I suppose, HD doesn't make a big difference to me.

Brilliant movies. It saddens me to read lukewarm reviews of them (why do I do this to myself?), but both were exceedingly creative and interesting in execution. Hell, I'd say magical. The kind of world-immersion you rarely get in movies - Spirited Away would be another example. The kinds of experiences that draw you in and cause a kind of adjustment period getting back into real life, if that makes sense.

If you haven't seen them, see them. Might get some industry-staleness taste out of your mouth.

Also, Hollywood should use puppets more. They age much better than graphics.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
I have them on bluray so I'm set anyway :p love those films!

Know something scarey? Michael Jackson was originally supposed to play the Goblin King but changed his mind as he didn't want to be a villain.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I think I saw the Dark Crystal when I was 6. and it scared the shit out of me. They were undead Muppets...

RipperSU

Nov 20, 2009
Trogdor1138 said:
You realize they've been on Blu Ray for quite awhile right? This isn't really news.
Yeah I was just going to say, I saw these on Blu Ray a while ago.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
HankMan said:
By the Power of the Babe, This Sounds great!

but I have to say, when are they going to release that The Dark Crystal sequel? We've been waiting on that longer than Duke Neukem Forever. Oh Jim, Why did you have to leave us so soon? :'(
Somebody needs to watch more Robot Chicken!

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
The Dark Crystal is fucking epic. I remember annoying my parents by making that whining noise that Chamberlain makes. Might watch it again later.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I didn't realise these movies were out in HD at all, now I hear they have already hit blu-ray? I'm going to have to take a drive down to my local shops this weekend and see if I can't hunt them down.

Jack and Calumon said:
Damn it ninja'd, I was going to post that!

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Nerf Ninja said:
I have them on bluray so I'm set anyway :p love those films!

Know something scarey? Michael Jackson was originally supposed to play the Goblin King but changed his mind as he didn't want to be a villain.
On the Labyrinth dvd there's a video where Jim (I believe) mentioned Sting as being another option they were looking into for the Goblin King.

Man, what coulda been. My belief is that Labyrinth is a fascinating movie occasioanlly marred by David Bowie's pants. If Sting was in it.... it could have been the single greatest movie ever. Well, unless they filmed it when Jennifer Connelly was in her 20's. And wearing a Leia bikini.

Oh, man. Is it bad that I'm not sure which would be more fantastic.... Sting or Jenny in the bikini?