Marvel Tries to Steal VW's Thunder With New Thor Ad

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Marvel Tries to Steal VW's Thunder With New Thor Ad

Marvel Comics is trying to replace the Force with some lightning of its own ...

Remember <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.262504-Mini-Vader-Dominates-New-Volkswagen-Commercial>that brilliant Volkswagen ad starring a pint-sized Darth Vader? The one that left just about everyone who watched it wearing an idiot grin? Well, apparently Marvel Comics does, because the company just posted a new commercial for its upcoming Thor film that either plagiarizes or parodies the VW spot, depending on your perspective.

Basically, this is a retread of the VW commercial, but instead of Darth Vader and the Imperial March soundtrack, viewers get a miniature version of Thor (carrying an oversized Mjolnir) running through the house while "Ride of the Valkyries" plays in the background. The kiddie Asgardian tries to affect various objects around the house until his dad pulls up in the driveway, at which point things take a different turn from the first ad.

The ad is kinda cute, but (to me, at least) the only really good moment is at the very end of the commercial. Even then, it seems like the payoff is too little, too late. The main problem is that it's difficult to successfully pull off a satirical take on something that already had its tongue firmly in cheek. What do you think: Which version is better? The original ad, or this one?

Source: <a href=http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/04/okay_this_is_a_lil_thor_i_approve_of.php>Topless Robot

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I loved it. I also like how the dogs name is Loki.

The ending was good, I felt it was playing it almost too straight towards the end but then...well ya.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
I liked that one a lot better than the Vader one actually, the dog's name and the liscense plate are great touches and I love what they did with Mjolnir! The ending caught me completely off gaurd even after your warning which is what ads should do. Be memorable and hopefully clever and funny, this one does that for me. I was already excited about Thor but I admit that now I'm even more so. Thanks for the reminder! Sooooooooon....

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Yeah, falls a little flat on its face. Especially considering this kid's acting feels a bit wooden, and how they literally rushed through the first 40 something seconds with the assumption that you've already seen the VW ad. Doesn't work as a parody, terrible in its own right, and being consistent with Marvel's nature of ripping people off.

The Loki bit was cool though.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
Ugh. This just feels desperate to me. I don't think I'm gonna see Thor, even though I love the character, unless something really changes between now and then.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
Annd, thats why you don't F*** with lil Thor. Commercial was pimp as hell, was already planning on seeing the movie this is just fodder to get my gf to want to see it too. The twist ending made me thing that M Night Shamamamamaamalon might of had something to do with it until I realized "hey, I actually like this"

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
They already did this with Darth Vader. Parents need to get that kid some real friends and stop messing with his mind before he torches the house next.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
The original ad was better, but this one had its laughs. I loved how the dog's name was Loki.

Chaoswin1

Nov 18, 2010
I like this one it's pretty cool but it tries too hard to parody the vader one. Still enjoyed the explosion and the little easter eggs throughout the whole thing.

Grey_Gore

Feb 10, 2009
Is that a Stark Industries coffee mug at 0:23? :O

Edit: Also check out the Thor action figure at 0:15. Gotta love all the little references they've put in this.