New Star Wars: The Old Republic Novel Finally Finishes Revan's Story

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
New Star Wars: The Old Republic Novel Finally Finishes Revan's Story

An Old Republic novel by BioWare writer Drew Karpyshyn is going to give KotOR fans answers they've been waiting to hear since 2003.

I loved KotOR, but one of the things that drove me nuts about KotOR 2 was that it barely answered any of the player's questions about the fate of the first game's protagonist, Revan. Thankfully, the third in a series of The Old Republic tie-in novels published by Del Rey is set to do just that.

The aptly-named Revan is written by Drew Karpyshyn, the Principal Writer at BioWare who wrote the scenario and much of the dialogue for the first KotOR - so for him, this is familiar territory. "[A lot] of fans have been patiently waiting a long time to find out what happened to Revan after KotOR -- it's probably the number one question I'm asked on my website," said Karpyshyn in an interview [http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110422].

"I'm glad the story is finally being told, and I'm ecstatic that I'm the one who gets to tell it." I am too, Drew - I am too.

Obviously, while the player could make Revan either gender and alignment in the Force, Karpyshyn's novel will be based on the official canon, where Revan is male and redeems himself in the Light Side of the Force at the end. The novel will also bring back other characters from the KotOR games, like Canderous Ordo, T3-M4, Bastila Shan and the Exile, the protagonist of KotOR 2.

While this book is set immediately following KotOR (and through KotOR 2), this is three hundred years before The Old Republic. So why is this a SW: TOR novel and not a KotOR one? "[The] events of this book have a major impact on shaping the Old Republic universe," said Karpyshyn. Guess that answers that.

Revan will go on sale later this year.

(Destructoid [http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110422])

(Image [http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/f/fc/DarthRevan_DarthMalak_EGF.jpg])

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Oh God, am I really going to break my vow to never cross the ultimate nerd-line (well, one of many "ultimate" nerd-lines that I refuse to cross)?

Mind you, TOR has quest about Revan - that they specifically did a trailer for - that basically says "FIND OUT IN THIS QUEST!" so I probably won't have to read this.

But still, I must fucking know.

MUST.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
A novel huh... I can get on board with that. Still, I was hoping for a KotOR 3 eventually.

Guess I should have known better, since they never made (and probably aren't going to make) Warcraft 4.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
(spoilers)

Considering that in my playthroughs Reven was never a lightside male, and canon seems to have fixed the outcomes of the two games, I don't see myself picking up a copy of this. Why would I want read up on someone else's version of Revan if it runs counter to the one I am so fond of? What I wanted was a KoTOR III, not this. One of the reasons I am not terribly interested in TOR is because of this canon-fixing. There were essentially four different ways to complete the game and four ways to complete the sequel. Railroading those possibilities down into one narrow path and then telling players that what they did, and the character they played as 'don't count' has always rubbed me the wrong way. What do other people think?

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
The canon version is of a male Light-side Revan? That evaporates my interest in knowing what happens.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Neat. I'm currently reading the second in The Old Republic series and hopefully this next one will be just as good as that one is so far.

I may need to replay KotOR before I read it though. It's been a while.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fan boys suddenly cried out for KOTOR 3 and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

razor343 said:
Emm...
Wasn't Revan female in canon? ... No? Hurr...
Revan = male; Exile = female. Canonically speaking.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
(spoiler)

Jumwa said:
The canon version is of a male Light-side Revan? That evaporates my interest in knowing what happens.
And the canon ending for KoTOR II is Lightside female. Neither one matches up with my playthroughs. It feels like a big middle finger from bioware to me, waiting all this time to get a MMO instead of an rpg that is set hundreds of years after both the exile and revan are dead, instead of a continuation of their stories, and then canon got fixed to render 15/16 of the possible outcomes (having played through both games) irrelevant.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fan boys suddenly cried out for KOTOR 3 and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

razor343 said:
Emm...
Wasn't Revan female in canon? ... No? Hurr...
Revan = male; Exile = female. Canonically speaking.
Pah, I thought the opposite, shame on me.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Well at least they don't forget the General. I always felt the General's story was more compelling then Revan's. I played both the canonical version and as a Male darkside consular, both were stupidly easy.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Oroboros said:
(spoiler)

Jumwa said:
And the canon ending for KoTOR II is Lightside female. Neither one matches up with my playthroughs. It feels like a big middle finger from bioware to me, waiting all this time to get a MMO instead of an rpg that is set hundreds of years after both the exile and revan are dead, instead of a continuation of their stories, and then canon got fixed to render 15/16 of the possible outcomes (having played through both games) irrelevant.
Umm... yeah. That's pretty much what 'canon' means within the context of branching storylines. And it's not like this is anything new. That's been the canon gender/orientation of the two for quite some time now. I'm pretty sure most of the KOTOR fans (myself included) had given up any realistic hope of getting a KOTOR 3 long before SWTOR was announced. As much as I'd rather have a proper single player KOTOR game, I'll take a novel over having to mount a 40 man raid on Tattooine in order to get a snippet of the same info.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
So, this means there is absolutely no hope in hell for a KotOR 3 then? How short-sighted of BioWare....

Darth IB

Apr 7, 2010
As much as I disagree with the cannon Revan, cannon Exile, and an MMO instead of KotOR3... KotOR was my first RPG and Revan (the most difficult-to-spell character in videogame history) thus holds a special place in my heart... so I'll most likely pick up this book.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
EvilPicnic said:
So, this means there is absolutely no hope in hell for a KotOR 3 then? How short-sighted of BioWare....
Yeah that was my exact thought. Yes BioWare, I've been waiting nearly 10 years for the resolution to Revan's story. No BioWare I didn't want to read about it in a novel, I wanted to play through it in something called a sequel.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
So I'm guessing this is the reason why Karpyshyn didn't write Deception [http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect:_Deception]?