Capcom Killing Mega Man Legends 3 If Prototype Version Doesn't Sell

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Capcom Killing Mega Man Legends 3 If Prototype Version Doesn't Sell

If you want Mega Man Legends 3 to be released on the 3DS, you'd better download the Prototype Version.

Capcom recently made a surprise announcement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109463-Capcom-Announces-Bite-Sized-Mega-Man-Legends-for-3DS] of a Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version to be released on the 3DS eShop before the main game. At first it seemed like a simple prelude, but Capcom has revealed that its significance is much greater when it comes to the Mega Man Legends series as a whole. If fans don't get behind Prototype Version, Mega Man Legends 3 might be scrapped.

Director of Mega Man Legends 3 Mazakazu Eguchi followed up Prototype Version's announcement with a blog post that explained its true purpose. "It's really difficult to determine just how well-received a sequel to a 10-year-old series will be," he wrote. "As it happens, it was decided that the prototype version of the game we had submitted within the company would be sold as a downloadable [game]."

"Furthermore, the heat and excitement surrounding this downloadable title would determine whether or not the full game could be greenlit," Eguchi revealed. "If hype is strong, the full title will be a go. If not, it's a no-go. I don't even want to think about that outcome!"

The news is a little shocking to fans that have been looking forward to more from the unique Mega Man Legends series for more than a decade. Mega Man Legends retained a a cult level of popularity since the series was first released on the PlayStation in the late 1990s thanks to its new take on Mega Man in a 3D adventure. Eguchi says it "won't be too long" until we know more details behind Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version, such as its price, while the game's release date apparently hinges on the official launch of the 3DS's virtual eShop itself.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/eguchi/blog/2011/04/21/big_announcement]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah...

The 3DS Shop? You shouldn't except too much, Capcom.

MML3 could sell me on the 3DS. But I'm not getting it to get Prologue, so that I can possibly get MML3.

Capcom, you ass-wipes.

Edit: Does anyone even use the DSi Ware store or 3DS Shop?

This is like releasing the preview on XBL Indie Marketplace. The userbase is soooooo much lower compared to the main stores, you're basically wishing for the game to fail by hiding it. Part of "Case Zero"'s success was that it was shoved into the spotlight as an XBLA title.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Yeah...

MML3 could sell me on the 3DS. But I'm not getting it to get Prologue, so that I can possibly get MML3.

Capcom, you ass-wipes.
I have to agree with this. If I buy this the full version better cost that much less. It won't, but it should.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Release that game on Playstation. Just like the other two. Cmon guys, it was a great fucking series. I don't want to play it on a mini-screen! Show it in it's full glory!

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
This is a terrible idea, nobody but the true fans will wan't to buy a buy a demo of a game that might not be released. This is pretty much confirming it's cancellation.

And yes it is a demo.... just like GT5: Prologue was a demo.

daltonlaffs

Nov 17, 2009
Now, you're all jumping to conclusions about this rather fast.

The 3DS eShop isn't even open yet, and the most information we have about it are a few teaser screens and specs from Nintendo. From what it sounds like, though, they fully understand that the Wii and DSi shops were lackluster, and they're trying their very hardest to make this one more streamlined and entertaining.

That said, about this Prototype Version specifically: Its success depends entirely on whether or not it's free. If it's free, who wouldn't download it? You might like the game, you might not, but it's not like you have to pay to find out which it is. Unless you're still on dial-up or something, there's just no reason to not let your curiosity get the better of you.

I've never even played the first two MML games, but I'll definitely play a free demo for the new one.

If they try to charge for the demo, though, gods help them. But it doesn't sound like that's the plan.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So... If I want to possibly play Mega Man Legends 3, I need to buy a 3DS, a hand-held system that I don't want, and buy a "prototype" of a game that I would rather play on PS3, or even a PSP. And if no one does buy the "prototype", they'll cancel the game. That makes total sense!

Schmittler

Aug 4, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Yeah...

Capcom, you ass-wipes.

This is like releasing the preview on XBL Indie Marketplace. The userbase is soooooo much lower compared to the main stores, you're basically wishing for the game to fail by hiding it. Part of "Case Zero"'s success was that it was shoved into the spotlight as an XBLA title.

This sounds like a ridiculous marketing scheme. I'm going to call bluff on Capcom's part. I remember about a year ago when Tatsunoko (i know I screwed the spelling up) vs Capcom came out in the US and they said "there will be a possibility of another vs. Capcom game if this sells well in the US"

They were obviously trying to tap into the Marvel vs. Capcom fans, and I'm sure MvC3 was already well underway.

I wouldn't buy a "demo" to guarantee a game's release.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Okay Capcom, but just remember: mjc Killing Capcom if Capcom Kills Mega Man Legends 3

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
They need to use the Mojang strategy if they are too chicken to invest in the full game. Charge a small amount for the beta then gradually increase the price until the release. But guarantee all the beta purchasers get the full game for the beta price. Everyone wins. The early adopters/risk takers get a lower price if the full version makes it, capcom finances the game though players investment instead of their own.

Then again capcom doesn't exactly have the brightest bulbs in their PR/Marketing departments.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Micalas said:
Release that game on Playstation. Just like the other two. Cmon guys, it was a great fucking series. I don't want to play it on a mini-screen! Show it in it's full glory!

I know right? I don't even understand why they're releasing the third on a nintendo console (handheld)

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Micalas said:

I know right? I don't even understand why they're releasing the third on a nintendo console (handheld)
Megaman did get his start on the NES....

I'll buy/download the game when the eShop opens up in a month.
I really hate all these people complaining that it shouldn't released for one system over another.

Some people will buy consoles just because a game they really want is on that system.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
The idea of using a prototype to see if an idea is viable seems interesting. It sort of happened for games like Portal and Puzzle Agent, although you might say they already had a lot riding on the ideas by then.

This is something I'd like Sonic Team to do. "Hey guys, we have a new idea for a style of Sonic gameplay, but we're unsure if it's fun. Try it out?"

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
...What the hell. I'm waiting for Megaman Legends 3 to come out before buying a 3DS. That game's the console seller for me. I'd gladly buy this if I had a 3DS but... seriously what the hell?

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Quiet Stranger said:
Micalas said:

I guess they figured "We had Megaman Legends 64 (but not the second one) so this totally makes sense." Would it be considered piracy if I played it on an emulator on my computer and bought the game to even it out? They get their money and I get a bigger screen to play on.

I'm asking because I want not moderator wrath. >.>

Captcha: mystic wrestler...mkay.

megapenguinx said:
Megaman did get his start on the NES....

I'll buy/download the game when the eShop opens up in a month.
I really hate all these people complaining that it shouldn't released for one system over another.

Some people will buy consoles just because a game they really want is on that system.
This is true but we're talking about a specific series of megaman games. It's not even the fact that it's Nintendo. It's due to it being a handheld. Put it on the Wii if you must go with Nintendo

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Katana314 said:
This is something I'd like Sonic Team to do. "Hey guys, we have a new idea for a style of Sonic gameplay, but we're unsure if it's fun. Try it out?"
Any dev worth their salt tests their game with outsiders extensively before releasing their games. This hasn't really caught on in Japan yet, though, so companies like the Sonic Team and Square Enix haven't been doing this, and you can see the results.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Dear Mazakazu-san,

No.

Megaman Legends 3 is, at this point, the primary thing that could coax me to buy a (used) 3DS. Megaman Legends 3. Not Megaman Legends 3: the Demo. Put the game out, and I will buy it. Do not put the game out, and hear about it for the next 10 years or so.

Do not dick me around, Capcom. Release a product, or don't. Don't hold the damn thing hostage.

DarkRedLion

Oct 13, 2010
What the hell is wrong with Capcom? "If you don't buy our Demo, I'm afraid we won't deliever the game".

Tsk, screw that!

Raeil

Nov 18, 2009
This actually makes pretty good sense from a business perspective, in my opinion. Rather than investing a ton of money into making a full version, check and see if enough people will be willing to pay for it. At $3, there's no reason not to pay for the "demo" if you're wanting the full version, and if you're waiting to buy a 3DS until MML3 comes out, the price will likely stay the same until then anyway. Bottom line, if the userbase is there, this will happen, but if it's not then Capcom will save a lot of money and time which could be used on other, more profitable, business ventures.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

I don't believe anybody uses the 3DS Shop at all, considering it's not out yet and all.

Also, I believe that the 3DS Shop will be used more often than Nintendo's previous attempts at making an online marketplace because it the 3DS is putting a lot more focus on online interaction, not to mention trying to reattract the hardcore fanbase that will probably use a shop in the first place.