Sony Admits External Forces Brought Down PSN

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Admits External Forces Brought Down PSN

Sony had to shut down the entire PlayStation Network due to an "external intrusion."

The PlayStation Network completely went down this week, prompting denied [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109448-PSN-Down-Worldwide-Is-Anonymous-to-Blame] any such accusations, Sony has admitted that the downtime is definitely the result of an outside force.

Sony's Patrick Seybold wrote on the PlayStation Blog: "An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th."

The shutdown is notable as it means nobody can play online, but users also can't purchase games, movies, or DLC from the PSN. This "external intrusion" is affecting far more than Sony as a singular entity.

Anonymous is known for having various internal groups with their own motives, so despite denying responsibility, it still could be to blame. The organization reportedly lawsuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108949-Sony-Hacker-Lawsuits-Earn-the-Wrath-of-Anonymous-UPDATED] against PS3 hacker George "GeoHot" Hotz, and this could be a second salvo.

Seybold adds that Sony is still working to resolve the situation as quickly as possible. Seybold will let us know any further details when they're available. As for now, the PSN is projected [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109469-Sony-Warns-That-PSN-May-Be-Offline-for-Another-Couple-of-Days] to be down for another couple of days.

Source: PS Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/22/update-on-playstation-network-qriocity-services/]

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
"External Intrusion"?

I remember in one of the older articles that one quote from anonymous that they were seemingly looking for highly personal info on Sony's employees (because hey, right to privacy to everyone right?) so maybe it wasn't an attack that shut down all the servers but one that risked a security breach of personal info like credit cards or something. I could see something like that in some Anons' power.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I wouldn't put it past anonymous. That cyberterroristic cult is just stupid enough to do this.

Well, good to get an update anyways.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Has Sony at any point in this stopped and said, "This is Anonymous' fault!".

Because I haven't seen that, yet.

Can we stop this "Sony is looking for a scapegoat in Anon to cover up their own incompetence" shit I've seen in related topics?

Edit: And I'm well aware that Anon isn't actually some connected organization, unlike the media's idea of it.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Why are people so quick to judge Sony and say the screwed up in this case? This would be one HUGE screw up if it was internal.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I DO hope whoever caused it is caught, but not as much as I just want the service to start working again.

C'mon Sony, you can make it happen.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Anonymous: "hey lets hurt Sony for suing hotz, that'll help"

*prevents millions of PLAYSTATION OWNERS playing online*

Anonymous are fucking morons, this hasn't hurt Sony, this has hurt the users, the people they claim to be fighting for. All this does is make Sony seem the victim and undermines Hotz.

IB4 "how do you know it is anonymous"

news flash: we don't know who they are, THEREFORE THEY ARE ANONYMOUS!

(I don't think it's China or Iran, they have bigger fish to fry)

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Whatever, Sony. You just keep flingin' bullshit, and we'll see how that goes for you.
It's easy to call people liars without proof.

But it cheapens you.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Lol. I find it hilarious on that same weekend, Microsoft had a free Gold Weekend going on with several events.

Either way..Lol?
I find it hilarious that Gold being free is considered to be good of them. So how d'you like them apples?

OT:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Can we stop this "Sony is looking for a scapegoat in Anon to cover up their own incompetence" shit I've seen in relayed topics?
This, basically.

Aug 31, 2009
this is certainly looking like its not Sonys fault as for the XBOX owners showing off, ours is still free so if this happened to xbox live there would be uproar

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Woodsey said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Can we stop this "Sony is looking for a scapegoat in Anon to cover up their own incompetence" shit I've seen in relayed topics?
This, basically.
Minus my typo, of course.

My fingers ain't working right today.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Anonymous is known for having various internal groups with their own motives, so despite denying responsibility, it still could be to blame
No no no, Anonymous doesn't have various internal groups with their own motives. Anonymous is various groups with their own motives. Just because one person claiming to be Anonymous says they had nothing to do with it, doesn't mean that Anonymous had nothing to do with it.

Sure, it's confusing. But that's kinda the point.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This is why I love hackers.

...No wait, this is actually why I fucking hate them.