Harmonix Claims It "Carried" MTV Games

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Harmonix Claims It "Carried" MTV Games

MTV Games wasn't really structured very well, says the Rock Band developer.

As if trying to make successful music games for a market already that was already bored of them wasn't stressful and difficult enough, Harmonix says that its games also had the added problem of having to carry the entire publishing arm of MTV games on their backs.

Harmonix VP of product development Greg LoPiccolo thought that MTV had realized that it was either going to have to invest a lot more money into building up MTV Games, or cut its losses and get out of games altogether. As for all intents and purposes, Harmonix was MTV Games - as was neatly demonstrated when MTV shut down [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107531-MTV-Games-Closes-Its-Doors] the division after it sold [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106408-Harmonix-Buys-Itself-From-Viacom] Harmonix last year - it decided to go with option B. "I think it became apparent," he said. "That, in this day and age, you really need a big enough publishing organization to achieve economies of scale if you want to make it work and they didn't really have that."

LoPiccolo insisted that the studio's top brass bore MTV no ill will however, and that being part of MTV had allowed Harmonix to do things it would have struggled to do as an independent developer, both in terms of music licensing and simple cash flow. "I think the parting of the ways was a reasonable business decision that they undertook for pretty clear reasons," he said. "But I think we have a deep appreciation for what they were able to bring to our business and what we were able to accomplish together."

Columbus Nova, an investment firm based in New York, now owns Harmonix, and LoPiccolo was very upbeat about the new owners. He said that Columbus Nova was quite happy to allow the studio to develop and grow its business, and added that the studio couldn't be happier with the way things had turned out.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/rock-band-developer-says-it-had-to-carry-the-entire-publishing-infrastructure-of-mtv-games/]

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
zombie711 said:
what non harmonix games does MTV games own?
Actually, they're back in the game publishing business. They own 345 Games, a collaboration with Spike TV and Comedy Central, and plan to develop games based on those channels' most popular shows. They also plan on doing Deadliest Warrior: Legends, a sequel to the original (which sold 400,000 units).

Steve Lovell

Apr 25, 2011
JDKJ said:
zombie711 said:
Actually, they're back in the game publishing business. They own 345 Games, a collaboration with Spike
TV and Comedy Central, and plan to develop games based on those channels' most popular shows. They also plan on doing Deadliest Warrior: Legends, a sequel to the original (which sold 400,000 units).
Deadliest warrior sold that many?

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Steve Lovell said:
JDKJ said:
zombie711 said:
Actually, they're back in the game publishing business. They own 345 Games, a collaboration with Spike
TV and Comedy Central, and plan to develop games based on those channels' most popular shows. They also plan on doing Deadliest Warrior: Legends, a sequel to the original (which sold 400,000 units).
Deadliest warrior sold that many?
It sold 190,000 on XBox Live alone. http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/111/1115146p1.html And that's before it was released on PSN.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I think it says more about the industry than about MTV. As I understand what is being said, they were making money, but not ENOUGH money for MTV's tastes. In an industry that is increasingly demanding monster profits and constant growth I can see why they were cut loose, but I don't think it's a good thing for anyone involved, especially us consumers.

What's more it seems to me like their basic plan is that instead of wanting to try and produce successful music games, they want to focus on tie-in shovelware for the casual market, figuring they have enough "cool at the moment" IPs to carry it.

I've never been a music game fan, but it does seem like another blow for quality game development.

Honestly I'm sort of surprised MTV didn't decide to go 100% with casual facebook games.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
C2Ultima said:
Isn't the Rock Band series the only set of games from MTV Games?
zombie711 said:
If I remember right, there was a "pimp my ride" game...I let you fill in the rest.
Did it create some kind of "Yo dawg (etc.)" singularity that turned players into Xzibit?

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
jck4332 said:
Speaking of MTV being horrible, do they still show that Jersey shore crap?
Jersey Shore you say? allow me to present this as my response:

Captcha word: Still Alive. Well it's official, even the INTERNET enjoys Portal

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
I have a feeling rockband wouldn't have died if it just released another rockband versus another rockband where you need to buy $600 worth of crap with it.
Another drumset (with how many bass petals I've broken this is getting rediculus)
Real guitar ($299 bullshit)
keyboard (not too expensive but you don't get to play every song with this)

My old rockband guitar will work I realise, but if that was the case then I could have just as readily bought maybe the 6 songs I like out of the set list from DLC.

(Why is there like 20 songs from some loud generically shitty band on the DLC list but NONE that I could find from Bon FUCKING jovi! The solo in 100 years would have kept me satisfied for WEEKS!)

The () is my personal opinion of course.

108Stitches

Mar 24, 2010
Odd, I bought RB3 and didn't have to buy any of the "$600 worth of crap", and I'm still using my original RB1 kit and am only on my 2nd drum pedal.

Sure, I don't get the FULL experience of the game, but am enjoying it just as much as I did the first two.

I never understood the Viacom purchase, but I guess at the time, music gaming was hot and it made sense to couple with MTV (from some 80s nostalgia level when they still played music videos).