There Isn't Much Time Left to Bid On This Crazy-Awesome Blizzard Charity Auction

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
There Isn't Much Time Left to Bid On This Crazy-Awesome Blizzard Charity Auction

If you have $3,000 lying around, like Blizzard's games, and want to donate money to a good cause, then I've got something you should see - but do come quickly, please.

Blizzard doesn't release many games, but when it does it always goes whole hog on the collectors' editions. Unfortunately, this makes said collectors' editions nigh-impossible to obtain within mere weeks after their announcement.

If you want to get your hands on four collectors' editions for every game Blizzard has released since 2007 (that's WoW: Burning Crusade, WoW: Wrath of the Lich King, WoW: Cataclsym and StarCraft II) then you might want to head over to Bidding For Good [http://www.biddingforgood.com/auction/item/Item.action?id=132923617], where a charity auction contains just that - as well as a ton of other stuff.

Each collectors' edition has been signed by the development team behind the game (or expansion pack), making them quite rare indeed. The winner of this auction will also get a year's subscription to WoW, four of the ultra-rare in-game loot cards from the WoW TCG (X-51 Nether Rocket, Savage Raptor, Blazing Hippogryph and El Pollo Grande), the "Baby Murloc" WoW in-game pet from the original 2005 BlizzCon, and all four of the plush baby Murloc toys. Phew.

The combined worth of all of these goods - as estimated by eBay prices, one assumes - is just shy of $4,000. But with just 12 hours left on the bidding clock, the price here remains at the starting point of $3,000. Really, when you think about it, that's actually a pretty good deal.

All proceeds from the auction will go to Peninsula Education Foundation [http://www.pvpef.org/], so if you've got three grand burning a hole in your pocket, why not put it towards a good cause?

(The irony, of course, is that the people most likely to be interested in the auction probably already play WoW, and almost certainly own the expansions in question. I guess you could give them away, too.)

(Bidding For Good [http://www.biddingforgood.com/auction/item/Item.action?id=132923617])

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
also you can use the CD keys for each of the wow expansions just to get the pets and thats really about it. I just wish I had 3 grand to spend on this, let alone thirty bucks just spend right now.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
That's actually a really good deal for what you get. Especially when it goes to charity.

I don't have the money to blow on it nor am I interested enough in the products though.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
There are a shockingly high number of wealthy people who play wow. I'm actually a little surprised to see that that figure isn't higher. I wouldn't be shocked if it climbed pretty rapidly just before the closing bell.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
seems great, pity most WoW/starcraft players can afford the electricity running their computer, let alone that pesky annoyance called food.
we all know that this is either going to some entitled little shit of a kid who points and says "want", with their parents bowing to their demands or worse, an adult

dave_b93

Mar 23, 2009
basically the auction is for americans only. combine that with the fact that you're paying sales tax on it. ( currently another $300 on top of your bid. ) AND you're waiting 4 weeks to get it, and they're shipping it slowly.

collectors editions aren't that hard to pick up. sure, signed ones are. Those loot cards MIGHT be $800 each if you bought them on Ebay, ( i'm not going to go check.. ) and $150 worth of game time, and $60 of plush toys. the 'rare' thing there is the murky in game pet. but there's enough wow pets availible now I'm not sure how much people care for the really really rare ones anymore.

I'd take my chances on ebay for the parts of this i really wanted.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Okay what gives...why is it NO SHIPPING OUTSIDE OF US!
Id instant buy this if it wasnt for that....damn you Australia!

standokan

May 28, 2009
You'd have to be quite the mad and excentric gentleman to blow away 3000 bucks on something like that.

In unrelated news, Captcha gave me a symbol that resembles a swastika... ?

Pheonixe

Aug 23, 2010
Art Axiv said:
They aren't shipping outside the States.
*sigh*
I'm fairly certain that's why there are still 0 bids on it so far. It seems really silly to not ship outside the U.S. when Blizzard has been so dedicated to providing service to so many places outside the states.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
If I had $3,000, I would buy some food and some shoes that don't have holes in them.

That or 12,000 gumballs. I would throw them in a pit and strip down naked and wallow in them.
Yeah...

dsawyers9

Aug 20, 2009
John Funk said:
Each collectors' edition has been signed by the development team behind the game (or expansion pack)
The developer team was one of the many reasons why I stopped playing WoW in the first place. Why on earth would I want their signature, so I could pawn it off on some other geek for $5,000?

Oh wait, that means I will end up profiting off this. Now if only I had $4,000 to waste on a gamble.

dsawyers9

Aug 20, 2009
dave_b93 said:
basically the auction is for americans only. combine that with the fact that you're paying sales tax on it. ( currently another $300 on top of your bid. )
My theory; Blizzard is losing subs left and right from Americans, not to say EU players are not also dropping subs, but this is a chance for the greedy Blizzard company to poke at the American players EGO and say: Oh, but you guys are special, we really care about the American player base so much that we have a charity for only you.

But then, that is my theory, yes I believe blizzard is an evil corporation that only cares about profit instead of making great games like SC, Diablo I or II. Those were free, they were fun, the company was great, no not great but Super Awesome, if not epic. Now they partnered with Activision and caught the Greedy Virus. Another once great gaming company who chose the dark side. /sigh (IMO)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
dsawyers9 said:
dave_b93 said:
basically the auction is for americans only. combine that with the fact that you're paying sales tax on it. ( currently another $300 on top of your bid. )
My theory; Blizzard is losing subs left and right from Americans, not to say EU players are not also dropping subs, but this is a chance for the greedy Blizzard company to poke at the American players EGO and say: Oh, but you guys are special, we really care about the American player base so much that we have a charity for only you.

But then, that is my theory, yes I believe blizzard is an evil corporation that only cares about profit instead of making great games like SC, Diablo I or II. Those were free, they were fun, the company was great, no not great but Super Awesome, if not epic. Now they partnered with Activision and caught the Greedy Virus. Another once great gaming company who chose the dark side. /sigh (IMO)
Wow. There's, like, nothing in this post that isn't completely wrong ;)

Just so you know, shipping restrictions are rarely intentional. When we do contests, it's not like we're saying "Oh man, let's really screw over those Euros." There are legal restrictions, or maybe just rules in the third-party programs you're using - maybe the charity in question (or the auctioneer) can't guarantee foreign delivery, etc.

Also, WoW subs are at an all-time high. There have been supposed "mass exoduses" from the game after *every* expansion or patch. Looking at the WoW forums, you'd think that the game would have died out long ago, but really, it's a vocal minority at best.

And this is just to correct you - Blizzard did not "partner with Activision." Their parent company, Vivendi Universal - which is a corporation much, MUCH bigger than Activision - bought a controlling stake in Activision and merged ATVI with its own Vivendi Games division, including Blizzard as an autonomous entity.

The more you know! (TM)

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Just watch somebody will come in and snipe it at the last second like they always do. (and then run out of money and regret it forever).

Sounds interesting but kind of seems like a big publicity stunt more then anything else.

Blood Countess

Oct 22, 2010
dsawyers9 said:
dave_b93 said:

I honestly kind of get tired about people whining how a company wants to make money for their product. It is funny, it does seem WoW is more crowded than normal so seems you have no clue what the hell you are talking about

OT.. I wouldn't pay that much for this, sure it's for a good cause but I got a family so yes bills come first but do hope someone with money gets it to help their charity :)

NeonWraith

Nov 25, 2008
Also, isn't it *really* likely that all those versions are for the US ones, meaning it'd be a bit silly to ship outside of the US anyway since they'd be region locked?