Atlus' New Catherine Screens Tease and Titillate

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Atlus' New Catherine Screens Tease and Titillate

The latest Catherine screens include twisted sheep-men, gigantic block tower dungeons, infidelity and boobs. Yes, it's just like it sounds.

Few games in recent have captured my imagination like Atlus' shamelessly-bizarre adult erotic/horror game Catherine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102879-Persona-Creators-Announce-Adult-Oriented-Catherine-for-PS3-360]. A game that tackles grown-up issues like fidelity and relationships done by the team that tackled gender identity and sexuality in Persona 4? Yes, please.

[gallery=217]

Atlus has sent out a new batch of English-language screens and artwork for the Western release of the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108129-Catherine-Officially-Cheating-on-Japan-With-U-S], and it looks pretty much like you'd expect. While there are a few scenes of the Nightmare gameplay in which protagonist Vincent must navigate dreamscapes full of hellish towers of blocks to reach the top before dawn - or else he will never wake up - most of these screens are from cutscenes and conversations between the characters.

The screens do a good job at selling the characters. The coquettish Catherine (with a C) bemoans the tradition of marriage and being tied down, while the no-nonsense Katherine (with a K) tries to get her boyfriend Vincent to open up to her. Vincent, meanwhile, is quite in over his head with the whole thing.

It's slated for release here in the states this July. I know I'll be getting it; what about you?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That's a very nice subtitle font.

[sub]is the only thing I can say without sounding like a pervert[/sub]

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
WHY ARE YOU TAKING SO LONG ATLUS!?

JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!

OT:*Cough* That is some nice tits....Erhm...I mean pics...*Cough*

>.>

<.<

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I approve, and eagerly await. Every new news story makes me want it more and more and more.

Its going to be really hard waiting for this as it slowly ticks closer.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Can't wait for this game. Unfortunately, goodness knows when we'll get it over here in the UK.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Hmm. Well after that, I think if I played this game, I'd have to go after the blonde. If that's how it even works. I really need to do my research about this game.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
It's still incredibly confusing to me how these sheep-men, tower-climbing dream sequences fit in with the rest of the game, but that doesn't stop me from still being incredibly interested in what this game is presenting.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
*Looks at forum title*
Yeah, I'm getting it.

EDIT: I hope those screens mean the option for Japanese with subs.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
This game really doesn't get me excited at all, in the antipation way or the sexual way. It looks like an excuse to make some cartoon characters get it on to me and what little gameplay I can find doesn't look all that fun, either.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
This game does nothing but intrigue me. It's just so odd to me. I want to see more.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Irridium said:
My birthday's in July.

Well, I know what I'll be asking for :D
Same here, thank god I'll be turning 17 by then. If my dad had to buy it for me, either online or at a store, I can't imagine the look on his face when he'd see the boxart...

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Did I mention I can't wait for this game? Money all saved up for it just gotta stop being lazy and go preorder.

Gigatoast

Apr 7, 2010
Well it wouldn't be an Atlus game if there wasn't pointless adolescent (in more then one way) pandering. I defiantly CAN wait for this game.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Jarrid said:
mjc0961 said:
Hmm. Well after that, I think if I played this game, I'd have to go after the blonde. If that's how it even works. I really need to do my research about this game.
Based mostly on looks, I prefer the "-atherine" with a K. Why do I get a feeling there will be differing endings depending on which one you make Vincent choose?

I am quite pleased that I own a 360.
I am annoyed that I have to import the PS3 version. =(

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
*Looks at forum title*
Yeah, I'm getting it.

EDIT: I hope those screens mean the option for Japanese with subs.
Probably comes down to whether there's enough space for both audio tracks. Dual-audio shouldn't be a problem on Blu-ray, but since they're fixing the lip-sync it's a little hard to tell. You could end up with only one audio track or one English audio track and a desynchronized Japanese audio track. Atlus USA tends to be better than having an audio track that simply doesn't work, so I expect we'll only get the English actors.

On the other hand, if they had enough room for both languages they would probably be able to have both sets of animations as well. Unless there are a lot of pre-rendered cinematics, that can't demand too much. We'll see, I guess.

I'll be fine either way (Michelle Ruff, Laura Bailey and Troy Baker? Yes, please), but the original cast is pretty impressive. I wish more companies would see the potential for releasing the Japanese track as free DLC.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
This game looks absolutely sweet. And it reminds me that I need to get my hands on a copy of Persona 4.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
I have a PS3 but might just by the Xbox 360 poster later on. >_> <_<
Since we're being given a choice as who are option will be I'll side with Katherine first, and save the other Catherine for 2nd playthrough.

Wow ATLUS with all these quality titles coming up I feel a little bad for SquareEnix :)
-Catherine
-Devil Survivor 2
-PERSONA 5