Johnny Cage Arrives On Set in New Mortal Kombat Episode

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Johnny Cage Arrives On Set in New Mortal Kombat Episode

A washed up movie star and a sorcerer in the same room? Yep, it's Mortal Kombat alright.

Another week, another slice of Mortal Kombat flavored face-kicking action. In this week's installment, Sonya, Stryker and Jax are warming the bench, and struggling movie star/action hero Johnny Cage is taking center stage, showing the events that resulted in Cage joining the Mortal Kombat tournament, and giving us our first proper taste of Shang Tsung's power.

Just as Michael Jai White and Jeri Ryan reprised their roles from Mortal Kombat: Rebirth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101195-Mystery-Mortal-Kombat-Trailer-Will-Blow-You-Away] as Jax and Sonya respectively, this episode sees the return of Matt Mullins as Johnny Cage. In Rebirth, Cage had gone undercover for the police, trying to hunt down Dr. Alex Zane - also known as Baraka. Unfortunately, for Cage at least, he found him, and came to a rather sticky end. In his Legacy debut he fares a little better, but not much better. This episode also features a cameo appearance by Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon as TV producer Ed Goodman.

I must admit that this episode came as a rather happy surprise. It still has that gritty and grim edge to it, but it breaks away from the very po-faced action movie feel of the first two episodes. The opening montage, which intersperses real footage of Mullins - who is a five-times martial arts world champion - when he was young, neatly tells us what we need to know about Cage without going taking up too much time.

The episode has its swearing censored, presumably because of complaints about previous episodes. Interestingly, it seems that Warner Bros. has also toned down some of the earlier episodes as well; Jax's eye-popping punch from last week's episode is gone, for example. It's a little jarring, but not so much that it spoils the episode. An uncensored version of the episode will air on Friday though, so if the lack of cursing does spoil it for you, then you'll be able to get your fill of f-bombs in time for the weekend.

Source: Machinima [http://www.machinima.com/]

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Why censor Mortal Kombat? Especially swearing.

"Fuck"

See, nobody died, the system didn't collapse. Seriously, I don't understand the double standards these studios have.

Maybe they were worried about people from Australia viewing it.

Anyways, I'm loading the episode and looking forward to it, despite the censoring.

Also, I got to see the Eye Punch in all it's uncut glory when it first came on, it was epic.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Glad to see he isn't and kicking ass. Also, the Power Rangers bit really got me laughing. He was in Kamen Rider, not Power Rangers :D

The series is shaping up really well. It's also starting to look a lot like the first MK movie, which was awesome.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Its not just Ed Boon whos in the episode, all the people in that documentary like bit all work for Netherrealms Studios, I recognise them from the Character Bio videos :p. Cool episode though, Im starting to like this series quite a bit.

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
0:48, "Get over here", shouldn't that have been reserved for another character.

Looks awesome though.

A bit pissed off by the censorship.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I feel kind of sorry for the security guards but I was screaming at Johnny to beat up those network guys he was talking to by 8 minutes 37.

Also did anyone else think Johnny needed a hug when they shot down his second show idea?

Ogargd

Nov 7, 2010
Trogdor1138 said:

"Fuck"

See, nobody died, the system didn't collapse. Seriously, I don't understand the double standards these studios have.

Anyways, I'm loading the episode and looking forward to it, despite the censoring.
Australian TV is less censored than American TV, and the Aussie internet isn't censored at all.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Ogargd said:
Trogdor1138 said:

"Fuck"

Australian TV is less censored than American TV, and the Aussie internet isn't censored at all.
It was a reference to our governments decision to ban the game.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
Why censor stuff that goes on the internet? :-S
Other than that, nice episode.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
The Censoring was a bit intrusive, but regardless another great episode.
Hope they keep em coming. And I still want to see how they do Raiden and Goro.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
...Surprisingly, the censored 'fuck's were remarkably jarring. Probably because of the total removal of sound. A bleep would almost be less intrusive.

Really enjoying this series so far, though, despite my lack of knowledge about Mortal Kombat

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I found this really interesting to watch, though i haven't really watched the previous episodes. Looks like something fun, I'll be keeping an eye out for it.
Though the censoring was really annoying, i think i bleep instead the silence would have worked better (even though it would have sucked, either way).

Synonymous

Aug 6, 2009
I see that Johnny's proposed show is basically a revamped Steven Seagal: Lawman. I'm not sure, however, why we needed Cage's show being rejected twice by the same people, save to drag out airtime.

On another note, though, does even Johnny Cage have to be dark and joyless here? His self-assured good humor is a general highlight of the game series. Perhaps I've been spoiled by Linden Ashby. Nattily-suited Shang Tsung was a nice touch, however, though he needs a shave.

(I'm sure someone could tie the execs' retooling of Cage's show to feature a hot female lead into MovieBob's bit in The Expendables review about the musclehead '80's-type action star's discomfort with being supplanted by sleeker, more agile heroes, but I have to dash off.)

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Owlslayer said:
I found this really interesting to watch, though i haven't really watched the previous episodes. Looks like something fun, I'll be keeping an eye out for it.
Though the censoring was really annoying, i think i bleep instead the silence would have worked better (even though it would have sucked, either way).
Apparently the uncensored version goes up on Machinima on the 29th.

Is it just me or was that the chick who played the Deputy in a Eureka?

I'm liking how this is shaping up and that they are trying to give real life versions to the bizarreness of the characters. (the nut punch splits was also amusing)

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
manythings said:
Owlslayer said:
Apparently the uncensored version goes up on Machinima on the 29th.

Is it just me or was that the chick who played the Deputy in a Eureka?

I'm liking how this is shaping up and that they are trying to give real life versions to the bizarreness of the characters. (the nut punch splits was also amusing)
Wow, nicely noticed. I've watched Eureka, but even after watching the vid again, i did not see much resemblance. But i checked imdb, and voila, she played in Mortal Kombat: Legacy.

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
Am I the only one who really didn't mind the censoring? So younger viewers, or even more mature viewers, want to watch a video about Mortal Kombat without being faced with a barrage of fucks. Is that so wrong?

On topic, I really loved this one. This is my favorite so far, because it humanizes a hot-shot character like Johnny Cage.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Favourite episode so far. Johnny Cage is one of my favourite MK characters. Sure, he's a bit of a dick, but you can't help feel sorry for him....and especially what happens to him.

Very well directed too.