EA Executive Quits, Reportedly Headed to Zynga

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Executive Quits, Reportedly Headed to Zynga

Electronic Arts Chief Operating Officer John Schappert has left the company, apparently to take a position at the much-loved casual gaming behemoth Zynga.

John Schappert is what you'd call a veteran of the industry. His first credited game, according to Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf [http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,66180/]. By 2007 he had risen to the position of executive vice president at two EA groups, but in August of that year he jumped ship to Microsoft to become corporate vice president of Live, software and services. In 2009 he returned to EA as chief operating officer but now he's gone again and this time, according to the rumor, he's headed in a slightly different direction: toward the casual playground of Zynga.

Yes, I was kidding with that "much-loved" crack about Zynga. The truth is that most of us loathe Zynga, although I don't think we're always entirely truthful about why. The most commonly-heard claim is that it's because of the low-quality FarmVille [http://www.amazon.com/FarmVille-Dummies-Angela-Morales/dp/1118016963/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303833251&sr=8-1] style of games the company produces, but I suspect that what really gets our goats is not the dubious quality but the fact that it's so damned successful with them. While "we" twist ourselves into knots over First Amendment concerns and debates about games as art, tens of millions of "them" go online every day to plink away at Zynga's ridiculously popular offerings.

That fact seems to infuriate a lot of core gamers and so for that same reason, Schappert's move to Zynga, if that is in fact what's happened, should ruffle some feathers as well. Leaping from a top executive position at one of the world's foremost videogame publishers to take on an as-yet-unspecified role at the relatively young Zynga kind of says something about the state of the industry, don't you think?

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-04-26-schappert-quits-ea-for-zynga]

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Well, from what I understand Zynga makes way more money than EA and has a rapidly expanding audience ready to embrace new projects/ideas, so I don't find it surprising that he would seek a position there. As for me, it would be kinda hypocritical to bash Zynga since I do play and thoroughly enjoy Cityville :/

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
"Is it strange that anyone would leave EA?" Is a valid question.

I don't know which one is the lesser of two evils though, EA or Zynga.

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The most commonly-heard claim is that it's because of the low-quality FarmVille style of games the company produces, but I suspect that what really gets our goats is not the dubious quality but the fact that it's so damned successful with them.
I don't think it's just that.

FarmVille is basically Lemonade Tycoon with an stopwatch for moves. Zynga has basically stacked the game full of legal addictive qualities, while hiding away their illegal activities.
Basically, they're bending the social contract between gamer and programmer until it's at breaking point and then suckling it like Lucas on Star Wars.

Reading up on basic psychological experiments in areas like Stockholm Syndrome, the Skinner Box and the like shows you that they're peddling "snake oil", but to millions of people desperate for a little re-assurance.

People who do that normally are locked up for Dealing, Racketeering or Perjury.

Timmibal

Nov 8, 2010
Looking at EA's business practices of late, and the way they treat acquired IP, and this surprises you?

Lurkmoar.gif

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
So he's going from a company that pisses off fans to a company that pisses off people who aren't morons? He's batting a thousand!

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
EA Executive Jumps Ship for Third Time in Four Years

Yeah, I'm not seeing the story here. I wonder what company he'll move to in 2013.

As for Zynga, I dislike them because they make bland, boring games using the most obvious Skinner Box conditioning to keep people playing. Like WoW but without the pretty environments and somehow even more repetitive. Also, repeatedly reskinning the exact same game is uncool.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
sunburst313 said:
EA Executive Jumps Ship for Third Time in Four Years

Yeah, I'm not seeing the story here. I wonder what company he'll move to in 2013.
This OMG, this! This as much a referendum on EA as it is a referendum on pink bunnies. The man tends to quit jobs as often as I get bored of new games. Did that, on to the next one. This is not a story, at the very least it's not the story that is written.