Apple Sued for Invading Privacy by Tracking iPhone Movements

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Apple Sued for Invading Privacy by Tracking iPhone Movements

Two Apple customers filed suit in Florida regarding privacy concerns that their iPhones keeps track of where they go and when.

We reported last week that patent pending [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109408-Watch-Out-Your-iPhone-Knows-Where-Youve-Been] for the process means that it was not accidentally included in the system. The file is also transferred to any personal computer that "sync" the device with meaning that friends and colleagues may also have access to an extremely accurate representation of your movements. Vikram Ajjampur and William Devito filed the class action suit in a Tampa, Florida court, but that doesn't mean the allegations haven't garnered national attention. Senator Al Franken from Minnesota has written a letter to Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple, asking him to explain the presence of this file. Jobs has not commented publicly on the issue, since it was revealed last week.

"Apple devices download the user location data to the user's computer when the mobile device synchronizes ("syncs") or shares data with the computer," the suit reads. "Apple's Terms of Service do not disclose its comprehensive tracking of users. Plaintiffs and other users did not provide any sort of informed consent to the tracking at issue in this case."

Senator Al Franken, who you might remember as Saturday Night Live's Stuart Smalley [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIETlxquzY], is chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law and so he took it upon himself to write an open letter to Steve Jobs. "The existence of this information - stored in an unencrypted format - raises serious privacy concerns," Franken wrote. "There are numerous ways in which this information could be used by criminals and bad actors." I hope Franken wasn't referring to himself there, I loved Stuart Saves His Family!

I've made no bones about the fact that I can't stand the Apple cult and the people who must run out to buy the latest dropping of white plastic that emerges from those stuck-up fools in Cupertino. While I respect the iPhone as a great device, I dislike the closed platform model and that Apple charges such a premium for its "cool products."

So I love that this privacy thing might blow up to become a huge black eye for the company that could stand to be brought down a few pegs in the hipster pantheon.

In other news, I really hope the same person doesn't have access to the locations of most iPhone & iPad users (Apple) and their credit card information [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] (Sony) ... oh crap.

Watch your back. That's all I'm saying.

Source: Senate.gov [https://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/users-file-suit-against-apple-over-iphone-tracking-042611]

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Apple logging my movements (and potentially selling the information), Sony not protecting my bank details. Anyone remember the golden age of the RROD?

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
uhh... you forgot that not only apple but android is also saving that kind of data, check again please, because i read in a different blog about that being true for both OS

the jellyman

Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, I found this thing maybe just a tiny bit creepy. Although there are two things in my favour:
A)My Iphone's so bashed that I doubt the GPS even works any more
B)I have a relatively quiet life in rural England. They know my dog walk routes, that I occasionally travel into bigger towns for a day, and that I stay at one of two homes the rest of the time. Anyone who wants to use this information to stalk me, be advised that here in the countryside we pack enough guns to keep Texas quiet for a thousand years. Bring it.
That was more to creepy Apple employees than people on this site, BTW.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Snake Plissken said:
Fuck Apple. Not quite as eloquent as Mr. Tito, but fuck Apple nonetheless.
This, with a big fuck off dildo wrapped in barb wire daubed with TCP.

Apr 28, 2008
And this is why I don't own Apple products. Or a smartphone. Or hell, a cell phone of any type.

Apr 28, 2008
HankMan said:
Al Franken sure is a stand-up kinda guy.
OT: this would have seemed much more significant just an hour ago
No pun?

Shame, you were becoming the Apple of my eye...

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
mireko said:
HentMas said:
uhh... you forgot that not only apple but android is also saving that kind of data, check again please, because i read in a different blog about that being true for both OS
Not quite the same thing.

But yeah, it is similar.
oh thank you, now i know, it wasn't stated in the other blog that it was more protected

Gerdneek

Jun 30, 2010
Its times like this in which I love my brick called NOKIA :) i can throw it and that better than any app XD

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Kalezian said:
tigermilk said:
Apple logging my movements (and potentially selling the information), Sony not protecting my bank details. Anyone remember the golden age of the RROD?
there is a saying when it comes to the Wiccan religion, what evil you do to others comes back three times to you.

or... something like that, my grandparents would know more about that.

Divine Irony? probably.

but really, what good does it for apple to know the movements of all their customers at any given time?
The data they collect can be sold to marketing "dealers" who buy and sell information. The information that can be given over when researching mortgages for example (annual income, purchasing habits etc) can be sold in the UK for £50 approx. Multiply this by X amount of i phone users who tend to be identified as having a high level of disposable income.

As for the Wiccan thing. But... But I didn't sell anyones personal information or steal their credit card details (sounds similar to karma that I am opposed to but I know slightly less than nothing about the Wicca faith).