"Power Glove" Helps Stroke Victims Recover by Playing Videogames

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
"Power Glove" Helps Stroke Victims Recover by Playing Videogames

Researchers are rolling out a glove that allows a doctor to monitor a patient's exercises when they are at home.

A stroke occurs when your brain doesn't get enough oxygen due a blockage in the blood vessel which can result in some pretty serious damage to your nervous system. Stroke-sufferers can become paralyzed or lose fine motor skill in the hands or feet. Recovering from a stroke usually involves intensive physical therapy that can be very costly for both the patient and the doctor - especially since such therapy is usually just boring and repetitive motion until the brain relearns how to control muscles.

To alleviate some of the hassles of physical therapy, a joint program at McGill University [http://www.mcgill.ca/] in Montreal developed a glove that tracks the movement of the patient's hand and sends that information to the doctor in his office. Using the "Biomedical Sensor Glove" will allow a doctor to lightly supervise recovery while the patient is able to exercise more regularly in the comfort of the home with game-like interface.

In all honesty, the "videogame" is likely just a representation of the movements on a screen. I'd like to see a designer take up the challenge of developing a simple game that allows stroke victims to exercise without going completely mad. Such a game probably won't ever see mainstream success, but it surely break the monotony. I've underwent physical therapy when I dislocated my finger playing basketball, and I got to tell you that clenching and extending the same finger 100 times gets old pretty quick.

Plus, that thing looks just like Nintendo's Power Glove. It's so bad.

Source: Science Daily [http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110426122952.htm]

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Oh god, I'm becoming more subconsciously immature by the day. I read that title as "power glove helps (to) stroke victims recovering by playing VGs."

A strange powered glove stroking people while they play Mario, what is this?!

Ahem.

Technology and VGs are cool.

Edit: Not helped by the title of the video clip being "I love power glove". That makes me wonder just what kind of stroking is going on, and what game is being played.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
HankMan said:
I always knew playing video-games would come in Handy
Zing.

Anyway it's great stuff like this is happening in the medical field. Not necessarily the game-playing parts, but the overall technology used is amazing. And yes it is cool that playing video-games can help stroke sufferers. Also, never mess with Fred Savage, he is one mean dude.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Plus, that thing looks just like Nintendo's Power Glove. It's so bad.
I raced to this topic to say that and now my soul is utterly crushed...Oh hey look, advances in medicine and technology!

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
There is a company that develops games for physical therapy that appear to be fun. It is Fisiogames, in Brazil. The link is here: http://www.fisiogames.com.br/site/

The English version of the site is not working today, but I guess you could check it out with Google translator.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009

Rather immature of me, but I have to admit that was the first thing that came to mind at this article.