U.S. Senator Blasts Sony for Keeping Breach Secret

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
U.S. Senator Blasts Sony for Keeping Breach Secret

Senator Richard Blumenthal wants Sony to pay for the financial security and free credit reporting costs of all customers whose credit card info might be at risk.

Today, Sony revealed that the Go Huskies! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It]) wrote a stern letter to the President of Sony Computer Entertainment of America stating that SCEA knew about the breach as early as April 20th. Sony's failure to promptly disclose the theft is a serious fault by the company, and Blumenthal thinks it should now offer insurance for any financial impact of the breach, as well as pay the costs of credit reporting and financial security services for every customer whose vital information was leaked.

"When a data breach occurs, it is essential that customers be immediately notified about whether and to what extent their personal and financial information has been compromised," Blumenthal wrote. "I am concerned that PlayStation Network users' personal and financial information may have been inappropriately accessed by a third party."

On top of that, Blumenthal is pissed that we didn't find out about it until today. "Compounding this concern is the troubling lack of notification from Sony about the nature of the data breach. Although the breach occurred nearly a week ago, Sony has not notified customers of the intrusion, or provided information that is vital to allowing individuals to protect themselves from identity theft, such as informing users whether their personal or financial information may have been compromised."

Withholding that kind of information deserves some recompense, Blumenthal believes. "PlayStation Network users should be provided with financial data security services, including free access to credit reporting services, for two years, the costs of which should be borne by Sony," he wrote. "Affected individuals should also be provided with sufficient insurance to protect them from the possible financial consequences of identity theft."

While I'm certainly glad that Sen. Blumenthal feels for the good people who may suffer from the PlayStation Network breach, I'm pretty sure that most of this controversy will blow over without hackers suddenly buying tons of pr0n with your credit card. Sony should do something to make up for its gaffe, that's for sure, but the harsh language of the United States Senator feels a little overblown.

Where was vehemence like this after the banking crisis of 2008? I mean, this is just pennies compared to the trillions of dollars wasted to save banks like Bear Stearns, Bank of America and AIG. I know it's apples to oranges, but I kind of wish we could all take a deep breath and realize that the PSN kerfuffle is not the end of the world.

Source: Senate.gov [http://blumenthal.senate.gov/press/release/index.cfm?id=82698973-255D-4B92-9E18-39E5937C9361]

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
I was actually thinking of buying the next playstation console over the next xbox one. After all of this, however, Im not so certain that that would be a good idea.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
luckycharms8282 said:
I was actually thinking of buying the next playstation console over the next xbox one.
That's some REALLY forward thinking.

And if they had confirmation that the info was breached a week ago, and held it back, they should be held accountable.

I don't blame Sony for being hacked. But I blame them for this shit, if it's true.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Sony rightly deserves this. Im surprised there isnt already a lawsuit in pogress over this.

luckycharms8282 said:
I was actually thinking of buying the next playstation console over the next xbox one. After all of this, however, Im not so certain that that would be a good idea.
After this mess? I would expect paranoid security measures on the PS4.

BritishWeather

Mar 22, 2010
There may be a valid reason behind sony not telling their consumers about the breach but then again it could be sony keeping quiet while they steal your monies and relocate to Libya.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Sony should do something to make up for its gaffe, that's for sure, but the harsh language of the United States Senator feels a little overblown.

Where was vehemence like this after the banking crisis of 2008? I mean, this is just pennies compared to the trillions of dollars wasted to save banks like Bear Stearns, Bank of America and AIG. I know it's apples to oranges, but I kind of wish we could all take a deep breath and realize that the PSN kerfuffle is not the end of the world.
This is the single most appropriate and sensible thing I have heard anybody say surrounding this entire issue, and I couldn't agree more, and I say that as someone who is currently advising her Dad to cancel his credit card when he comes back to Australia.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I <3 you Sony. You're like a toddler that's gotten money, tried doing everything everyone else is doing better, and completely ruining any credibility you have. Its quite entertaining to watch.

I feel bad for those involved, but damn Sony, you stupid.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
This.

They should have warned us much, much sooner.
Damn. You quoted me before I fixed my multiple grammatical errors. GRRR. Now they are on display for everyone to see.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm in agreement with this guy. Sony should be held responsible for not reporting this sooner if they knew about it.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
That seems like an over reaction, but was I the only one amazed that a politician even knew about it? I guess his assistant told him or something, but still.
And what proof do we have of when they knew how big the breach was?

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Disagree Greg. It's pretty shocking that Sony had this information for so long without notifying those who had been violated. It's information that they collected, stored online, apparently not very securely, and then lost. Time is crucial in attempting to tackle fraud, and the consequences for an individual can be devastating - not only in terms of lost money (which may be refundable), but in terms of the stress, hassle and worry of sorting it out.

Whilst there hasn't been any report of credit card problems yet, that's a serious amount of data lost - and it's pretty shocking that Sony aren't doing their utmost to help the innocent. It would be nice if Sony WERE forced to pay all of that - it would ensure they take customer care more seriously in future. Furthermore, some strong-arm moves might actually begin taking power away from large companies, and giving it back to the consumer.

Stating that this doesn't deserve rage like the recession did is mistaken. The recession deserved more rage and rhetoric - but this deserves a heck of a lot, and Sony deserves a good financial kicking for it.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
This sort of behavior isn't new for Sony. Its why I stopped dealing with them nearly a decade ago during the planetside days.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Wow! That's quite the demand! I agree with the article, where was this furor when more serious matters occur? Also, I've never even heard of this Senator, let alone understand why THIS issue is so important to him.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Dear Sony... care to comment on how many people have been "effected" by this?

Did the plan backfire? Whats the recourse now? Scream to the government "ANON DID IT!!!" and hope you get your way?

This is getting sad.

There may be a valid reason behind sony not telling their consumers about the breach but then again it could be sony keeping quiet while they steal your monies and relocate to Libya.
Yes.. Its called. We made this up as a PR move and didnt expect people to overreact this much.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
This kind of fast reaction makes me wonder if the good Senator is a PS gamer..? ;)

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Agreed on the banks of 2008. And if they did know and held back the info then I agree that they should be in trouble but this is a politician talking here. He knows as much about this as we do. But don't forget who's fault it is in the first place.

Anyone responsible for hacking it should have their lives ruined in court by the full extent of the law. Would be nice to see Geo among them but he got off easy.