Warner Bros. Coughs Up More Green For Green Lantern Effects

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Warner Bros. Coughs Up More Green For Green Lantern Effects

It's late in the game, but Warner Bros. is spending an extra $9 million to make Green Lantern look better.

Warner Bros. acknowledged that its visual effects in the original Green Lantern trailer definitely left a lot to be desired. That said, the footage that on display at WonderCon looked a lot better and left fans much more satisfied with how the movie looked. However, it's been revealed that the special effects budget for the movie has risen by another $9 million, and another effects studio has been drafted to do some more work on the film.

Seeing as how the movie is due out in less than three months, this sounds more than a little worrisome for Warner Bros. Apparently, though, this is apparently pretty par-for-the-course when it comes to "visual effects-heavy tentpoles":

"Such pics now routinely fit the description of a 'troubled' project, with 'troubled' the new normal. And key players in the f/x biz say that with crunches mounting, it's only a matter of time before some f/x-heavy tentpole can't meet its delivery date -- a nightmare no studio has faced since Titanic. Should a tentpole be forced to change dates, the ripple effects on a studio, its rivals, exhibitors and tie-ins will be widespread and injurious to bottom lines."

Apparently Green Lantern isn't the only movie that's having last-minute visual effects being done. The studio working on Captain America is scrambling a bit because the film's on a somewhat shorter schedule than everyone would prefer, but deadlines are being met and it looks like the film will be released when it's supposed to. Meanwhile, Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon has at least one studio pulling seven-day weeks with twelve-hour days; reportedly, the studio's Easter holiday was canceled for the effects artists.

However, while the last minute effects with Green Lantern sound a little suspect, Warner Bros. has been quick to assure fans that the movie is on track. Chris de Faria, Warner's exec VP of digital production, animation and visual effects, said "There is no problem on Green Lantern. We try to add things to make the movie better until the 11th hour. That doesn't mean we're risking the movie up to the 11th hour."

Here's hoping these additions will make for a good movie.

Source: <a href=http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118035870>Variety

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Apparently throwing money at the problem does work.

It's funny, but not that long ago movies didn't even have special effects or CGI and now look at how thing have changed. Hum, 100 years and tons of dollars.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Irridium said:
A costume would have probably been cheaper. And look better.

Just sayin'.
Wouldn't fit with the fact that Green Lantern's don't actually wear a material costume though.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
This isn't very surprising, CGI isn't finished until about a month before the release of the movie. They still have 2 months to go for this project. A lot can happen in that time.
Irridium said:

Just sayin'.
I like the costume, except the feet. They should just give him boots.

Apr 28, 2008
GiantRaven said:
Irridium said:

Just sayin'.
Wouldn't fit with the fact that Green Lantern's don't actually wear a material costume though.
They could just engulf him in green light, then show him in his outfit. And do the same when changing back.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Irridium said:
They could just engulf him in green light, then show him in his outfit. And do the same when changing back.
No that's not what I'm trying to say. If the Green Lantern costume actually looked like a real piece of clothing, then it wouldn't be how it's portrayed in the comics, where it's a construct of the ring.

And damn, I hate how comic book nerdingly nitpicky that sounds... =P

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
Apparently this news is so apparent that apparently no one needed to write an apparent story about its apparent content.

Seriously, you used "apparently" like four times.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
A Curious Fellow said:
Apparently this news is so apparent that apparently no one needed to write an apparent story about its apparent content.

Seriously, you used "apparently" like four times.
Meh, apparently it's a nice, useful word.

Although I must question the wisdom of a sentence like "Apparently, though, this is apparently pretty par-for-the-course when it comes to "visual effects-heavy tentpoles". Apparently, it is twice as apparent that these visual effects-heavy tentpoles are apparently pretty par-for-the-apparent-course. Apparently.

Apr 28, 2008
GiantRaven said:
Irridium said:
No that's not what I'm trying to say. If the Green Lantern costume actually looked like a real piece of clothing, then it wouldn't be how it's portrayed in the comics, where it's a construct of the ring.

And damn, I hate how comic book nerdingly nitpicky that sounds... =P
It still looked like a costume in the comics though. Or, on the comic covers at least.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
The only thing going through my mind when reading this article? It is called Transformers:Dark of the Moon. I would say fix that, but honestly, that is something Michael Bay needs to fix.
Getting onto the actual article... I have no comment. I know nothing of the movie biz. If it is normal to add effect in the last couple of months, so be it for me to question it. I will say that the original effects looked cheesy, but I was still willing to see the movie before making final judgements.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
"Should a tentpole be forced to change dates, the ripple effects on a studio, its rivals, exhibitors and tie-ins will be widespread and injurious to bottom lines."

Yes, all hell would break loose if we had to push back Green Lantern's cross-franchise Burger King collectible card game expanded universe prequel ARG. Probably it would signal the collapse of the global economy and herald a terrifying new era of brutal, senseless anarchy, in which man must face man in single combat, for the hedonistic entertainment of strange, feudal lords.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
GiantRaven said:
Irridium said:

Just sayin'.
Depends in what you go by, pretty sure Hal Jordan picks up a costume and a mask from the ship of the guy he gets a ring from in the Original comics (As read in Green Lantern Showcase)

When that is said, comics LOOOVE their retcons :p