Diablo III "In the Home Stretch"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Diablo III "In the Home Stretch"

Diablo III game director Jay Wilson says that the team making Blizzard's highly-anticipated dungeon-crawler is in final-stretch crunch mode.

I've gotten hands-on time with Blizzard's Diablo III at the BlizzCons [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86767-Blizzcon-08-Hands-On-Diablo-III], and every time I've played it I've had a tremendously good time. The game is shaping up to be fantastic - and every bit a proper Diablo title - but Blizzard is staying true to its secretive form, and refusing to nail down a release date (or even a target).

There may be a light at the end of the tunnel, however. A writer for the New York Times spent some time with Diablo III [http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/arts/video-games/diablo-iii-from-blizzard-a-preview.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1], and spoke with game director Jay Wilson. While Wilson was cagey regarding a release date for the game, he said that development was "definitely in the home stretch. We're crunching. This is when the magic happens."

According to the Times, one reason the game's development has taken so long (in addition to Blizzard's notorious perfectionism) is that the developers were working on a way for all Diablo players to be able to trade items with one another instead of just hopping chat channels on Battle.net hoping to find someone who wants their life-stealing polearm.

Given how central item-trading is to the core of Diablo, and how notoriously broken Diablo II's economy was, I can't blame them for wanting to overhaul the system. It also fits in line with Blizzard's other initiatives like the RealID plans (the good parts of it, not the quickly-nixed forum-posting part) and a universal Battle.net. This new service could look like a global WoW auction house, or it could resemble the Global Trade services in recent Pokemon games - but Blizzard isn't tipping its hand just yet.

This is another sign that the Diablo III team desperately wants to ship the game this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107719-Blizzard-Wants-to-Release-Diablo-III-This-Year], as do gamers around the world.

Still, let us not forget that "in the home stretch" is as subject to Blizzard's glacial development speed as anything else: We first heard that StarCraft II was in the "final stretch" back in February 2009 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89491-StarCraft-II-In-the-Final-Stretch]. The game actually came out in July 2010.

So we're looking at August 2012 then. Good to know.

(New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/arts/video-games/diablo-iii-from-blizzard-a-preview.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1])

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Can't wait for Blizz to tell us the game is region locked, blocking me out from playing with my European friends!

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
When they release it I should have saved the money for a new laptop that can run it properly.
It gives till about mid 2013.

I should be able to do that!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dexter111 said:
John Funk said:
It also fits in line with Blizzard's other initiatives like the RealID plans (the good parts of it, not the quickly-nixed forum-posting part) and a universal Battle.net. This new service could look like a global WoW auction house, or it could resemble the Global Trade services in recent Pokemon games - but Blizzard isn't tipping its hand just yet.
There were good parts to it? xD
Anyway as both an Activision title and Battle.Net 0.2 integration this unfortunately also lands on my immediate "no buy" list. Been playing Diablo 2 for weeks/months on end over like 5 years back in the day and had Lvl 90+ characters of every class but it's really not worth selling out for :p Might play the Beta though as I've gotten in about every Blizzard Beta (including Diablo II, StarCraft II, World of WarCraft etc.)
Yes, actually. I keep in touch with old college friends who play WoW on other servers when I'm raiding, talk with my girlfriend when she's raiding and when I'm playing StarCraft II. Hell, I actually really like the idea of the maligned Facebook connection functionality - I found out that friends I hadn't spoken with since high school were playing SC2, we added each other and now play 3v3s and 4v4s together a few times a month.

The forum issue was one hell of a misstep, but RealID as a service is actually pretty great. Admittedly, I'd have also liked if there was another "tier" of it that functioned similarly to a screen name, so I could keep in touch with my WoW guildies while playing SC2, but we all call each other by our real names anyway.

Battle.net 2 has a ways to go, but having used it for the better part of a year now I'm actually a lot more positive on it than I was, well, a year ago. I understand the frustration at some features being removed, but I've also found that it works how I need it to work without any of those features in the first place. I get on, find an evenly matched game, and I'm off. It's great for those who just want to play quickly.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
For some reason a store near my school is already accepting preorders for the game, which seems a little too early even with this announcement.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Something tells me we're going to see a release date at BlizzCon this year!

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Not ashamed to admit I just let out one almighty squee

Lets just hope blizz sticks to form and doesnt rush it out, if it turns out a turgid mess my heart may just break.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I am very excited for this. Blizzard's Perfectionism is what creates amazing games. I'll wait a few years if I have to.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..This should be considered abuse, really.

Thor, Deathly Hallows Part 2, Green Lantern trailers everywhere, and now ME3 concept art and Diablo 3 "In the home stretch"..

Damn you 2011! DAMN YOU! D: