BBC Summons Up The Fades As Its Newest Show

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
BBC Summons Up The Fades As Its Newest Show

The BBC's newest show is a supernatural drama about teens trying to prevent ghosts from destroying the world.

The BBC is making some serious efforts to expand its original programming, thanks in large part to the popularity that the network has enjoyed of late. Earlier this year, BBC America indicated that it would make some big investments to develop new shows, and the first such payoff is a new series called The Fades, which can be best described as The Dead Zone meets The Sixth Sense.

Here's the basic summary of The Fades:

The show follows a British teenager named Paul who has visions of a terrifying apocalypse. His therapist, best friend and sister are helpless to assist him as his delusions continue to invade his life. Paul begins to see spirits (the titular Fades) that no one else notices. When one of the Fades crosses over into the "real" world and becomes human, Paul and his companions must find a way to stop the rest of them from destroying the world.

The show's got some pretty big talent involved with it. It's going to be written by Jack Thorn (who wrote the acclaimed show Skins; the U.K. version, not the crap MTV version) and is being produced by Susan Hogg (known for her work with The Walking Dead). Paul is going to be played by Iain De Caestecker, who already has a number of roles under his belt. Meanwhile, Skins veterans Daniel Kaluuya and Lily Loveless will be playing Paul's best friend and sister.

The show is set to air in the Fall. The first season is set feature six one-hour episodes for its first season, which is pretty typical of BBC shows. At the moment, it's not certain if The Fades is going to receive a simultaneous premiere here in the States and the U.K., though it's not an unreasonable assumption given how this is a joint venture between the BBC and BBC America.

Source: Screen Rant

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I immediately thought it was connected with dragon age and related to magi... Close enough I guess.

What is it with the brits and these twilight esque type of broody teen pop shows? Reminds me of Being human which I was not at all impressed with.

freakyalex

Nov 20, 2009
Sounds potentially very interesting, and definitely my sort of thing. I'll keep an eye on it.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Written by the guy who wrote Skins?

Fuck that.

Although I doubt it will be more of the same cooler-than-thou bullshit. This is the beeb after all.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
mikozero said:
PS it's BBC America and BBC 3...and anyone from the UK reading that knows what that means...BBC 3 is the runt of the litter.
Oh it's BBC3? Sod that. Generally what channel new content is being shown on shows its quality (I say new content because sometimes BBC 3 gets episodes of BBC 1/2 series in advance) BBC One>=BBC Two>>>>>BBC Three

Random Name 4

Oct 23, 2010
viranimus" post="7.280203.10948077 said:
I immediately thought it was connected with dragon age and related to magi... Close enough I guess.

What is it with the brits and these twilight esque type of broody teen pop shows? Reminds me of Being human which I was not at all impressed with.[/quote

The pilot for being human was broadcast in 2008, months before Twilight, it is not aimed at teens although it has been more broody lately.

And name one other broody pop show the BBC makes?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
viranimus said:
What is it with the brits and these twilight esque type of broody teen pop shows? Reminds me of Being human which I was not at all impressed with.
no one in the UK want's this kind of shit, the BBC are now producing more and more programmes aimed at an American audience because unlike in the UK they get to show adverts, making them mucho mucho money.

I have to pay £145 a year for the fucking BBC, two channels I never watch that produce programmes for another country!

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
Yeah boy! Posh Kenneth! Awesome character in skins despite being on the sidelines. Also Naomi was a favorite from the second generation (plus shes hawt).

The premise they have chosen seems a bit... odd. But I'm sure the 'big picture' they have built for it will be another showcase of brilliant British talent.

Apr 17, 2009
I can already tell this will have levels of pure Angst that are off the charts

Perhaps more worryingly though, I'm reminded of a Frankie Boyle sketch ("Every TV marketing division is going to be saying sentences ending with '-crossed with Skins.'")
When you are starting to resemble something thought up in the black stew of Boyle's mind, you are in trouble

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Well, that's my interest pretty much destroyed by the first sentence in this article.

Well, I'm sure the show may be alright, guess it just isn't my thing really.

When they say that, one of these "fades" crosses over into the living world and takes on human form, by "human" do they perhaps mean "pale mysterious loner kid who everybody somehow finds cool and interesting"? It is teens saving the world time after all...

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
mikozero said:
"The BBC is making some serious efforts to expand its original programming"...

is this written by someone who doesn't understand what the BBC is ?

the vast majority of stuff "on the BBC" is "original programming".
it is the largest broadcaster in the world y'know...

PS it's BBC America and BBC 3...and anyone from the UK reading that knows what that means...BBC 3 is the runt of the litter.
Actually, I didn't know the differences. I'm in America, and am attending school in a fairly remote area of Arizona, so our cable is pretty limited. MY BBC exposure is pretty much limited to picking up DVDs. Can you PM me to explain what I got wrong and I'll try to fix it ASAP?

DanDanikov

Dec 28, 2008
If the BBC are coming up with stuff like this, why can't they badger Fox for the rights and start making some more Firefly? ;)

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
the sow that bbc needs to make more is only TOP GEAR

and maybe some of those horizon documentaries