Mirror's Edge 2 in the Works

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mirror's Edge 2 in the Works

Mirror's Edge [http://www.ea.com].

Developed by Mirror's Edge trilogy [http://www.dice.se/] but doubts about a sequel began to surface after the game performed below expectations.

But Patrick Soderlund, vice president of EA Games Europe and head of DICE, has now confirmed that at least one more Mirror's Edge game will be forthcoming. "You will see another Mirror's Edge for sure. It's just a matter of when that time is and what we do with it," he said. "We have a small team on it and I'm excited about what we do."

"Mirror's Edge was a risky move. It was a bold move, a very innovative and inspiring move," he continued. "The game wasn't perfect by any means. We would have liked the game to sell better even though the game has sold better than most people think."

No information about platforms or a release target were revealed, but it's good news for fans of the game and also for EA's commitment to new and creative IP development in the future.

Source: Videogamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/news/ea_confirms_small_team_working_on_mirror_s_edge_2.html]

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many developers EA actually owns?
I guess as many as the number of IPs - 1 for each title now.

JenXXXJen

Mar 11, 2009
Why not, it was a good idea, though a little flawed. With a bit of tweaking it should be pretty good.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Goddamnit EA, every time I try to like you, you do something like this.
I consider this a good thing. It shows that EA is willing to publish a game even if it means it wont make them a lot of money, a trait they did not have a few years ago. I'd wager that Activision would not do that same now.

Nothing wrong with a sequel, it doesn't mean that EA is money hungry for the Mirrors Edge franchise. I think we only need to worry when Mirrors Edge 4 comes out.

Now I haven't beaten Dead Space yet, but does this mean there may be a chance for a sequel of that too?

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many developers EA actually owns?
Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts#Studios_and_subsidiaries] knows all.
Fire Daemon said:
Now I haven't beaten Dead Space yet, but does this mean there may be a chance for a sequel of that too?
Well, there's gonna be a prequel [http://uk.wii.ign.com/objects/143/14320036.html].

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Goddamnit EA, every time I try to like you, you do something like this.
Malygris said:
No information about platforms or a release target were revealed, but it's good news for fans of the game and also for EA's commitment to new and creative IP development in the future.
I fail to see how, all it means is that they've acquired one more IP they can just release sequels for and not make a new game.
I really don't see how this is a bad thing - it's really no different than Assassin's Creed. The first one had a lot of potential but more missteps, which can be potentially rectified with the sequel.

What you're getting with ME2 might be the implication of more sequels to come, but you might be getting a better Mirror's Edge, a GOOD Mirror's Edge, and I don't see that as anything to complain about.

If you're criticizing the company for being complacent, I don't think there's much of an argument there - the first Mirror's Edge was a sales dud, so there's a significant amount of risk in putting money behind a sequel. This is still a somewhat ballsy move. Mirror's Edge is still, in some relative sense, a new IP - it's only been around for a couple years, it's still relatively young in most gamers' minds, especially when compared to EA's other franchises.

Anyway EA has already promised that it's committed to putting out new IPs every year, so it's not like that's going away.

May 17, 2007
I wonder whether Mirror's Edge will become a cult game? I wouldn't be surprised to see its low early sales figures move into low-but-consistent sales for a long time, due to its uniqueness and distinctiveness. We shall see.

At least until the sequel comes out and changes the landscape for the original.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Hopefully they'll focus on the PC market this time around. The console versions were horrible, but the PC version kicked ass.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I see no problem, the original Mirror's Edge was unique and original but just had a few kinks that can be fixed up in the sequel I say give it a chance.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
If they manage to rectify all the crap they did in the first one then they have themselves a winner... but we talk about EA here so I won't hold my breath.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Nimbus said:
Hopefully they'll focus on the PC market this time around. The console versions were horrible, but the PC version kicked ass.
Indeed, and that's why I love mirror's edge so much.
(also because of the awesome gameplay and jaw-dropping graphics)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Maybe this time it will be decent.

I couldn't get past the sewer level... And I didn't bother for more than 10 minutes.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
ph3onix said:
I suppose I'll be the only one yelling but whatever... WOOOOHOOOOO!
I'll join in with you!
I kinda hope they put something in to give it a little more replay value though.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I see this as a good thing. Mirror's Edge was fun, but it had flaws... and these flaws could be fixed via a sequel.