Sony Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over PSN Breach

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over PSN Breach

A class action lawsuit hopes to make Sony pay the piper for the recent breach of PlayStation Network customer information.

A law firm has filed a class action lawsuit against Sony over the potential leak [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] of PlayStation Network users' personal information. The suit aims to collect monetary damages from Sony due to the cost and effort required for these users to replace their passwords and cancel their credit cards.

The Rothken law firm filed the suit in a California district court (the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106990-PlayStation-3-Hacking-Lawsuit-Hits-a-Snag], a set of rules designed to protect consumers from credit card fraud.The suit specifically asks for compensation for the "extra time, effort, and costs" that might have to go into credit monitoring services and replacement.

A Rothken spokesman said: "Sony promised its customers that their information would be kept private. One would think that a large multinational corporation like Sony has strong protective measures in place to prevent the unauthorized disclosure of personal information, including credit card information. Apparently, Sony doesn't."

The big question that remains is whether or not Sony was negligent, or if some kind of super hacker just outsmarted its system. In either case, it's estimated that the breach could cost Sony billions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109611-Credit-Card-Breach-May-Cost-Sony-24-Billion] from lawsuits like this, in addition to government-enforced penalties from around the world.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34324/Class_Action_Lawsuit_Brought_Against_Sony_Over_PSN_Data_Breach.php]

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
Wow the problems are really starting to pile up for Sony, I wonder how long it will take before I start feeling sorry for them.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Shit is now hitting the fan hard for Sony. Any plans they had for new systems will probably be pushed back for years, giving Nintendo and Microsoft oppertunities to really pull out in the lead in the gaming industry. If this goes down really bad we may never see a PS4. I don't know if it'll be that extreme... but this has been an extreme case.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Am I the only one that's a little pissed that somehow I'm included in all this?

Look, I don't give a shit about lawsuits or any of the other speculative bullshit I've been reading for the past few days right now. I just want to know if I need to change my credit card or not, who did it, and when is this all gonna be fixed!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And the fun just continues, doesn't it?

Looks like Sony's going down in the Guinness Book of World Records for "Most humble pie consumed in one sitting".

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I'm surprised it took this long to come up. I'm sure there are some people creamed themselves with the thought of legal action after sony told us of the breach.

thenewprince

Oct 30, 2008
Do people actually assume that sony only makes game consoles and games? seriously wake the hell up people. Its a major issue other companies have faced before, there is insurance and government options to fix this kind of stuff.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Jesus christ, can we just wait a couple days to see what happened before we start trying to sue people? It's like trying to sue an oil company for a leaking tanker fifteen minutes after it starts sinking.

Edit: And whoever asked me if I wanted to sue Sony? Why am I being represented?

Colinmac93

Mar 20, 2011
Even though I'm on of the many millions affected by the hack, I can't help but feel sorry for Sony. Everything is going wrong with them all at once. They're gonna need divine intervention to come out of this shitstorm alive.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
The big question that remains is whether or not Sony was negligent, or if some kind of super hacker just outsmarted its system. In either case, it's estimated that the breach could cost Sony billions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109611-Credit-Card-Breach-May-Cost-Sony-24-Billion] from lawsuits like this, in addition to government-enforced penalties from around the world.
The sad part is that this is the main point right? I men, the PS3 was unhackable until some dude showed up and hacked it, then someone else, then someone else. There are people out there that simply CAN.

Hell, I'd have atleast let negligence be announced before jumping on the litigation wagon... Didn't the I.C.O JUST ask SONY to tell them what's really going on? Wait for an answer people

fire-exit-man

Standing on the Edge of Reason
Oct 6, 2010
So what about people like me who don't have any cards assigned to their PSN accounts? At the moment its only possible that the credit card information has been stolen and they've already come out with this?

Fucking lawyers...

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Don't worry guys, Phoenix Wright is on the case!

OT: I really hope they catch the hackers in this case, and sue THEM to oblivion

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Hit'em hard I say. PSN has been half-assed since the beginning with the built-in excuse that its free. Small wonder they screwed up at some point. I just wish it was CEOs and VPs that were going to pay for this. Instead, it'll be a bunch of Sony employees who had nothing to do with this. After all, I have a hard time believing a screw up this big came from on high you know?

But people deserve compensation for being put at risk. A guy with an American Express Black card or whatever, could be out like 10,000 - 25,000 bucks. That's pretty signficant.

NicoDK

Sep 21, 2009
Yes, please. Go ahead and kill the company, we need more salt in the wound.
Accualy, forget the salt and bring the fucking acid.

It's like the ENTIRE FREAKING WORLD forgot what the word HACKED means.

I would seriously considder hacking the dickfaces doing this and then sue them over not being 100% hack proof, if you know, I didn't have anyting else to do.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
They just can't catch a break.

How about some news about what Sony is doing to prevent and fix their current privacy problems?