Madden NFL 12's (Doomed) Cover Star Determined

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Madden NFL 12's (Doomed) Cover Star Determined

The cover star to have a go at the Madden curse for the 2011-2012 season has been revealed.

Being on the cover of Madden NFL should be a great honor, but it's not. On one hand, your name and helmeted face becomes known by millions of people around the world. On the other hand, you take a chance at becoming the recipient of the Madden NFL 12 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94644-The-Madden-Curse-Strikes-Again] has now been determined by a fan vote.

The vote to determine this man was held over on ESPN's website. Peyton Hillis, runningback for the Cleveland Browns, and Michael Vick, quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles, went head-to-head in the vote's final bracket. After over 1,000,000 votes, Hillis came out ahead with 66% of the vote.

Hillis fans mounted a surprisingly successful campaign to put him on the cover, causing him to upset various other NFL stars on his way up. Cleveland must never have heard of the Madden curse.

Additional votes may have gone to Hillis due to Vick's shady past, with Vick having been convicted of a felony for taking part in an illegal dog-fighting ring. He returned to the NFL after 21 months in prison as the Eagles' back-up quarterback, but a strong performance put him in the team's #1 spot. Again, animal rights fans must never have heard of the Madden curse.

Vick is probably happy about the outcome, because he appeared on the cover of Madden NFL 2004 and broke his leg that year. On a positive note, the Madden curse hasn't struck every year for the past decade, only for about 80-90% of them, so if Hillis is lucky he might get a bye.

Source: ESPN [http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/6437607/peyton-hillis-wins-madden-12-cover-vote]

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Poor, poor Cleveland. First, they lost LeBron to the Miami Heat, and now they're at risk of losing another athlete to the Madden Curse. :p

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
On one hand, your name and helmeted face becomes known by millions of people around the world.
I wonder if there is anyone in the world who will buy a Madden game and yet cannot name whoever is famous enough to be on the cover.

"But The Random One, you don't know who that chap is!" I don't, and I already forgot, so nothing gained for me.

Captcha: Training lyters. Hard work indeed.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I would have liked to see Vic win, if only to see if they would really put him on the cover.

EDIT: And no, I do not condone what he has done.

Kizo

Jul 5, 2008
There is no Madden curse.

http://kotaku.com/#!347001/there-is-no-such-thing-as-the-madden-curse

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
1. Good to see people hate Vick that much to not see him on the cover

2. Sad to see that Vick wont bear the curse....

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Oh Bull Shi...

*contains rage*

I'll grant he had a good season, but when he's the only good player of any note on that team, thats winner by default. There's no way he had a better season then Vick or Rodgers.

I hope the Steelers or the Ravens rip him in half this season, cleveland trolls.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Wait, isn't that the guy who MovieBob...

Ohhhh dear.

EDIT: Thanks to my complete dissasociation with the NFL, seems I confused Hill with Vick. Next time I shall go by the text, not the picture.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Aren't the Brown's already cursed? Could it be that they're trying to cancel out their existing curse by using the Madden Curse!?

(PS: not a football fan. Post, PS: HA! Take that Vick.)

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
That's cool. I can now say I personally know someone on a Madden cover (I was in some classes with him at UofA), a MLB cover and a few covers of WWE/F covers. Now, all I need to do is know some PGA and FIFA players, get the NBA players I know on game covers and I'm set.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
So the person on the cover has an amazing season, possibly at the peak of their game, that's exactly what it is, a peak. When you get to the top of a mountain the only possible way is downhill. The 'curse' is just an illogical reason for a logical outcome.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Kizo said:
There is no Madden curse.

http://kotaku.com/#!347001/there-is-no-such-thing-as-the-madden-curse
If you actually read that, all signs point to a curse. Now, I don't believe in such things, but out of everyone who has appeared on the cover, only one or two players went on to have a really good year. Others got injured, saw their numbers dip considerably, or retired. It's very odd.