Microsoft Unbans, Re-bans Banned Xbox Live Accounts

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Microsoft Unbans, Re-bans Banned Xbox Live Accounts

Microsoft giveth and Microsoft taketh away.

Microsoft's Xbox Live mods have a heavy banhammer. The Redmond-based software giant will ban players for hundreds of thousand strong [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102987-Microsoft-Crushes-Reach-Pirates-with-Banhammer], and there's nothing they can do about it.

Or is there? Yesterday, users with banned Xbox 360s reported on sites like xbox-scene [http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=730833&st=0&#;entry4795222] that they were able to log into Xbox Live on their banhammered consoles. I'm not sure how one discovers this short of habitually trying to log into Xbox Live every day, but there you have it.

It's unclear what, if anything, the users were allowed to do. As far as we can tell, they were still unable to buy games, demos, or play online - but they were logged in nonetheless.

Of course, it didn't last long. When notified of the ban lifting, Microsoft swiftly re-banned all of the undead 360s, booting them off of Xbox Live once more.

With Microsoft's rival PSN having more than its fair share of difficulties right now [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It], it's not out of the question to wonder if this blip in the system is the result of someone trying to work their way into Xbox Live and screwing up along the line.

Of course, it's also possible that this was Microsoft messing around with its hardware to ensure that a disaster like the PSN debacle doesn't happen to Xbox Live, and forgetting to push the "ban everybody again" button when all was said and done.

(Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/#!5796081/has-microsoft-un+banned-outlawed-xbox-360-consoles])

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I think this was Microsoft checking their own security. Looks like the people who modded their own 360's are indeed able to spot these openings pretty quickly.

As a 360 user, I will of course follow this to make sure my data isn't compromised like the personal information of PS3 users.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I vote for the "looks like someone doesn't want their network to go down" theory.

It is just hilarious to see the number of bannhammered 360s hitting ebay and craigslist after a sweep. All those crushed dreams!

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
Whoever is responsible for the PSN mishap certainly wouldn't be clumsy enuogh to trigger off such a peculiar side effect. Most likely trying to reinforce their own security.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe it's a delayed April Fool's joke from Microsoft.

"You're not banned anymore"
"Really?"
"Of course you are fool... gotcha"

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Haha, when I read the title I imagined MS basically saying to everyone...

"Second chance guise!"

shorty followed by

"lol jk banhammah"

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
I hope it was just them testing the hackers.

Now if they want reasons to ban people I suggest they send one mod into COD: WAW's multiplayer.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Probably a test to check for gaps in the system and to see how fast hacker and modders notice said gaps.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Am I the only one that thinks a 'Ban Everybody AGAIN' button is the most awesome tool a company can have?

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
TheRocketeer said:
Am I the only one that thinks a 'Ban Everybody AGAIN' button is the most awesome tool a company can have?
The Ban Everybody button is a big red button which must be hit with a hammer to function properly.

The 'Ban Everybody Again' button is actually hidden in a life size foam hand, you just high five it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Really the way that some Xbox users have been behaving on theese forums concerning Sony and the PSN makes me actually want the PSN hackers to have at XBL.

This is clearly an indication of something. What it is however, will be made clear soon.

Jun 11, 2008
I am just curious would Microsoft say a ban a console that has been modded to use a bigger hard drive or is it just ones that play pirated games. This is something I have been meaning to look into.