Portal 2 DLC Falls in Blue Portal, Exits Orange in Summer

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Portal 2 DLC Falls in Blue Portal, Exits Orange in Summer

Valve is currently preparing the launch of Portal 2 DLC to be released in summer 2011.

Valve released Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304009902&sr=8-1] on April 19 to fans that snatched it up and have probably been ravenously searching for the next "the cake is a lie" meme. Nothing has surfaced quite yet, but perhaps it'll come from DLC that will likely hit digital shelves in summer.

In an interview with Fast Company, Valve VP of marketing Doug Lombardi confirmed that along with turrets and weighted cubes, Portal 2 DLC is definitely coming down the Aperture Science pneumatic pipe network. "We will be announcing some DLC for [Portal 2]," he said. "So folks can keep a look out for more content coming this summer."

Additionally, Lombardi revealed that we'll hear about this DLC in "about a week or so." There already is DLC available for Portal 2, but only in the form of cosmetic alterations to the game's co-op mode robots, such as hats and accessories.

The DLC coming in summer is likely not another wave of robot tutus, as Lombardi also said that Valve will be supporting it with "more videos or more comics," referring to the get the game released early [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109203-Aperture-Requests-Funding-for-Portal-2-Long-Fall-Boot], and it wasn't Valve's first. It'd be pretty surprising if there wasn't another ARG hooked up to Portal 2's DLC.

As for what'll be in the DLC package, that's anyone's guess. More co-op levels? A trip into Aperture's past [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109608-Valve-Began-Development-on-Portal-2-as-a-Prequel]? A look at what Doug Rattmann (from the Portal 2 comic) was up to during the game? I choose option 3, if anyone's listening.

Source: Fast Company [http://www.fastcompany.com/1750003/portal-2-valve-eric-wolpaw-jeep-barnett-doug-lombardi]

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
I'd love more comics, Lab Rat was brilliant.

Valve has never disappointed me yet. Lovely bit of news.

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
There IS already a replacement meme to "the cake is a lie"
It is: "I'm in spaaaaaaaaaace"
As said by the space personality core.

Coranico

Jul 28, 2009
insanelich said:
So they've developed a very slow teleport?
Was going to say the exact same thing :p

Quite unlike Valve to announce DLC and then give us information within a week, but that can only mean good things.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
(clears throat) I'M IN SPAAAAAAACE!

Can't wait, need more portal! gotta leach out the moon goo poison.

Also, WHO ARE YOU TO GIVE ME LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM!

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
The cynical side of me wants to say that this DLC they announced is probably a segment of the game that was cut, so it could later be sold for profit (as we so often see in the games industry).

The cynical side always wants to say how much of a disgrace and an insult this is, considering this was a full priced game that lasted about 8-12 hours, with almost no replayability unless you're the kind of person who has to 100% a game and get all of the acheivements.

They also want to state that they think its an insult that Valve, one of the best companies out there when it comes to reliablity, would do this, and announce it so soon after release.

Seriously, this trend needs to stop. I dont care what they're adding: if its being announced this soon, they could have more than likely put it into the game. If its more co-op maps, I can kind of get that. If its story related, thats a slap in the face. Specially for a game that had a fairly week story to begin with.

Tyzamar

Apr 13, 2010
No way the new meme has got to be the whole lemon rant. Shit was priceless.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Uber Waddles said:
The cynical side of me wants to say that this DLC they announced is probably a segment of the game that was cut, so it could later be sold for profit (as we so often see in the games industry).

The cynical side always wants to say how much of a disgrace and an insult this is, considering this was a full priced game that lasted about 8-12 hours, with almost no replayability unless you're the kind of person who has to 100% a game and get all of the acheivements.

They also want to state that they think its an insult that Valve, one of the best companies out there when it comes to reliablity, would do this, and announce it so soon after release.

Seriously, this trend needs to stop. I dont care what they're adding: if its being announced this soon, they could have more than likely put it into the game. If its more co-op maps, I can kind of get that. If its story related, thats a slap in the face. Specially for a game that had a fairly week story to begin with.
Is it a slap in the face if it's free?

All non-cosmetic DLC that Valve has ever released has been available for free if you own the game on Steam. For the 360, they've only had to charge money because Microsoft won't let them release it for free.

Sharalon

Jan 19, 2011
Uber Waddles said:

Why? I paid full price for Portal 2 and i got more entertainment value out of it than most games i've played. Ever! If they release DLC that I feel like I would get additional entertainment value from, I'm happy to pay for it.

Your cynical side seems kinda greedy...

Xelt

May 11, 2008
I hope it's free DLC, but judging from what they've done with TF2, it'll be free!
So, heres hoping it'll be good!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Uber Waddles said:

Please read this post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.154083#3719305]. It's an excellent explanation on how early DLC - much less DLC several months after launch - can exist based on things that were originally cut from the game anyway, and how it's certainly not necessarily a rip-off.

Grufflenark

Nov 17, 2010
Nothing has surfaced quite yet
The only cake reference in Portal 2 was that the "GLaDOS Emergency Shutdown and Cake Dispensary" door was a lie.

Uber Waddles said:

It is most likely gonna be free anyways.

And this was probably something that had been left out of the game for infinite time anyways, and now we get it as free DLC.
You got no reason to complain. Also Portal had an excellent story, not a weak (week as you put it) one.
Plus it's not like VALVe owe you free stuff.
Plusplus VALVe needs money too.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Valve gives us the ability to play on both PS3 and PC with a purchase of one copy (Imagine Activision letting you play COD Blops on both PS3 and 360 with one purchase... HAHAHA) and people still will complain.

I would gladly purchase more "test packs" as long as they are the same quality of writing and polish the game had.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I hope the DLC includes either harder puzzles for sp or mp, OR bring back the challenge rooms. trying to finish a room in the most efficient manner possible was a blast.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
i am not god said:
How are you doing? Because I'm a POTATO!

And yes, spaaaace!
Which is now being used around my house in place of any other greeting.

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
J03bot said:
i am not god said:
How are you doing? Because I'm a POTATO!

And yes, spaaaace!
Which is now being used around my house in place of any other greeting.
Both excellent memes, might use the potato one myself, and yes, sadly not many people get the spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace one. Which is a darn shame.

Jacob Haggarty

Sep 1, 2010
kasperbbs said:
I hope they will add more single player stuff, i hate coop in games.
This. Except more co-op stuff as well.

Challenge maps for single-player, more sets for co-op.

Job done.