One-Fifth of PS3 Owners Are Eyeing the Exit

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
One-Fifth of PS3 Owners Are Eyeing the Exit

A new survey has found that one-fifth of PlayStation 3 owners in the U.S. are considering a switch to the Xbox 360 in the wake of the Great PlayStation Network Security Breach.

Someday, the news will stop being bad for Sony. That day is not today, however. This probably won't come as much of a surprise to anyone with even a passing familiarity with the still-ongoing PSN train wreck but it turns out that a significant number of PS3 owners are giving thought to crossing the aisle to sit with the other side.

Commissioned by CouponCodes4U "in order to assess gamer attitudes towards the affair," the survey encompassed 2132 people across the U.S., finding that 41 percent of them own PlayStation 3 consoles. 89 percent of those PS3 owners said they were concerned that their personal data may have been stolen in the breach; 65 percent said their trust in Sony and PSN had been "greatly affected"; and 21 percent claimed they were considering selling their PS3 units and switching to Microsoft's Xbox 360.

"As a video gamer myself, this data theft is especially worrying and I'm not altogether surprised that Sony are likely to see an exodus to console competitors," said CouponCodes4U Chairman Mark Pearson. "As hackers get more and more intelligent, companies simply have to keep up. Sony has a responsibility to its millions of customers to protect personal details and this data theft proves that they weren't capable of doing so. It's clear that gamers across the country have decided that this failing is enough to switch their allegiances to the console's closest rival."

Sony recently said that the credit card information on the PSN was in fact $24.5 billion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109637-Sony-Assures-Customers-PSN-Credit-Card-Data-Was-Encrypted] to clean up.

nyttyn

Sep 9, 2008
I don't think anyone is surprised by this. I'm sure as hell considering buggering off the ps3.

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
Maybe this will speed up my PSN Downloads >_>

If it comes back up of course.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?

I kind of pity Sony. I feel like this might severely damages their chances at doing any good in future console races.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I was eyeing the exit before this fiasco.
I loved the ps2, but the ps3 has just been going downhill for a while now.
I can see this being the last straw for a lot of people.

I doubt I'll get a 360 instead. I probably will be building a new pc pretty soon though.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I can't blame them. I'm certainly not going to make any purchases with my cards anymore on there. I'll buy points cards instead. I still don't play online enough to be upset about that part (Marvel vs capcom 3 is the only game I do play online).

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I'm not surprised either. I've already gotten a friend request or two from friends who formerly only had PS3s on Xbox Live over the past week. And I know I'm one of the people who falls under the "their trust in Sony and PSN had been 'greatly affected'" category. Although I still think that like any study, it's not worth much when you have somewhere around 40-50 million users (using console sales figures, not PSN accounts because you can have multiple accounts on one PS3; also taking into account some people buying multiple consoles) and you're only looking at around 2,000 people.

Anyway, I do already have a 360 so that part is easy. I'm just trying to decide how much I really want to play Twisted Metal and Ratchet and Clank All 4 One later this year.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
Just further proof gamers can be idiots. I'll stick to both consoles happily, but then I've always known to never trust important information to any online account.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Why? WHY!? They're working to get it up,they fucked up, so what? If it happened to microsoft what would happen?

As I explained in another thread this has "Bank Job Fallout" written all over it. Everyone sees the job, everyone sees the criminal get past the defenses and everyone sees that they make it look a bit easy. So everyone acts like it's the end of the world, talks about how they've been cheated (despite it being the first time that bank is ever robbed) and goes on to sue or leave.

What they don't see are the months of planning that had to go into the criminal's attempt, the information that had to be gathered, etc...

People don't even know if SONY's defenses were good or shitty yet and they're simply yelling "HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!?" as if this has happened every year since the PS1 was released 11 years ago. Once in 11 years is actually a fucking good run.

Yeah, I'm pissed it happened to me too, but people are over reacting. People swinging the litigation hammer, claiming to represent us all (Fuck you, no you don't represent me) thinking they can rush SONY into doing a better job if they scare them with litigation.

Let me tell you something. Make SONY focus on a court case AND this and it'll go slower.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
I'm sticking with my Ps3 because I still think its the superior console and that isn't changed because some douchebag hackers compromised PSN.

Disclaimer: The above is my OPINION so if you disagree, please feel free to not tell me all about it.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
ThatDaveDude1 said:
ZeroMachine said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?
You're thinking of the 3DS.
So the 3DS has gotten thousands (millions?) of people's information stolen and has knocked people out of possibly multiple services that they may or may not have payed for? For over a week?

This is news to me.

Yeah, looking for a serious answer here, not a "I hate Nintendo lawls" answer. The 3DS is making them money. Your argument is invalid.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I wonder what fraction of that 1/5th is actually seriously going to stop using PSN entirely and go over to 360 and how many are just stomping their feet until the PSN comes back up and they go back to it like nothing ever happened.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Time to step up to PC gaming, friends.

But seriously, my PS3 turned into my media streaming device/Netflix device sometime last year. Also, the BluRay laser broke. After 1yr 2 months. FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Yeah, not happy with Sony.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
AstylahAthrys said:
I, for one, will welcome any converters. I also don't blame them.
I agree. Let us Xbox/pc players know that we too could have suffered this. We should try to make any converts feel welcome.

whiteshark12

Jan 30, 2011
I honestly think that the Console Wars should draw to a close soon, I can see no counter to having 77 million accounts breached.