Hackers Offer PSN Credit Cards For Sale

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hackers Offer PSN Credit Cards For Sale

The hackers who broke into the PlayStation Network are now reportedly attempting to sell the stolen credit card numbers on "underground hacker forums."

"The hackers that hacked PSN are selling off the DB," Keven Stevens, a security analyst with Trend Micro, wrote on Twitter [http://twitter.com/killercube/status/63625145977290752]. "They reportedly have 2.2 million credit cards with CVVs." With that ominous notice, the word went out that PSN customers who provided their credit card details to Sony are indeed facing a very real risk of fraud. He said the hackers are claiming the database includes full names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, passwords, dates of birth, credit card numbers, CVV2s ["card verification values," the three-digit security code used to confirm the validity of the card in transactions where the card isn't present] and expiration dates - in other words, pretty much everything.

Stevens acknowledged that he hasn't seen the database and so cannot verify the truth of the claims, but dismissed suggestions that the attempted sale isn't actually happening. "It is not a rumor, it was a conversation on a criminal forum," he buy back [http://twitter.com/killercube/status/63730269613604864] the information but refused, although Sony's Patrick Seybold denied that claim, saying, "To my knowledge there is no truth to the report that Sony was offered an opportunity to purchase the list."

iSEC Partners security analyst Mathew Solnik said some of the people involved in conversations on hacker forums had detailed information about Sony's servers, suggesting "direct knowledge" of the attack. "Sony is saying the credit cards were encrypted, but we are hearing that the hackers made it into the main database, which would have given them access to everything, including credit card numbers," he said.

The first claim of credit card fraud arising from the PSN hack was made yesterday by an Australian man, who noticed $2000 in new charges on his account including several $1 transactions made on April 23, typically evidence of test runs to determine if an account is valid. Other reports, including $1500 spent in a German grocery store with a U.S. credit card, have also begun to rise to the surface; there is no proof, however, that these charges are actually connected to the PSN breach.

Sources: CezarIgnat [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/apr/29/playstation-network-hackers-credit-cards?INTCMP=SRCH] for the tip.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
oooh... reading this made me feel sick to my stomach
glad I had a new card issued...
hopefully some d-bag wont be using all my other info to just open up a new card though...

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
The story on Kotaku made it sound like there's no actual proof that they actually have enough of your CC's info to do this. Has solid evidence come to light since then or is this more sensational reporting?

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
Damn, my condolences to all the PSN users that has to worry about this. I'd feel ill knowing my personal information could very well be sold right now.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
And now the fun begins...

Gah...I am so goddamn worried about this. I really should go to my bank...

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Call your banks people, get your cards replaced.

Imo everyone who ever bought anything online needs to be check there monies regularly. New card, change your email passwords, done.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
That's sooo fucked up! i'm glad i didn't had an monetary account, now the problem will be with spams and other tricks!

this really is a low thing to do... Shame on whoever did this.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, I changed up my passwords. Good god this is scary. Whoever the hacker is, I hope he gets mauled. Yes, I wish physical harm on the son of a ***** who stole all this information. I don't care who knows it.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Just checked my account and I still have my prized $0.08 balance (its been a slow mouth:( ) But I'm still changing my card later today.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Are debit cards at risk? I mean it's a silly question but I used a Debit Card, not a Credit card to purchase stuff. Well at any rate this made me feel real bad... I feel nausea now.

Edit: Thanks for all the replies... I'm talking with my bank as I type this.

farmerboy219

Feb 22, 2009
hmmm...can you get a new card from your bank with different numbers and stuff without opening a new account

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Is this really any more than a rumor? PSN doesn't take CVV's, I think? Seems to be untrue.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
I'll be honest, the CVV issue makes me... skeptical that this is legit. As the Kotaku article put it:

"And I could put a listing on craigslist right now selling the moon for $50 and there's nothing stopping me. Given the severity of the situation and the nature of the claims, though, let's hope "full of shit" is all these people are."

GeeksUtopia

Feb 26, 2011
that is why i only use prepaid cards, all websites should have a prepaid card to purchase stuff. If i need a heart transplant, going to pay it with a prepaid card lol.