5 Tiny Things I Hope Get Changed in Skyrim

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
5 Tiny Things I Hope Get Changed in Skyrim

Five unimportant things that will hopefully change for Skyrim.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Those ARE minor.

Even my level-scaling loving, 4000 hour playing fanboy ass agrees with all of those.

Seriously. Add fast-travel like Silt Striders, but keep the regular fast-travel, too.

No need to remove an entirely optional system, right?

If you find Fast-Travel via menu ruins your immersion...Don't use it. Duh.

That's what I did for New Vegas. Mostly because I have so much ammo, I'm actually looking for things to waste it on, though. Not for immersion related reasons, Piss easy game on any difficulty, really. When you're a master scavenger like me. >_>

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Can I add my request for characters not to look like they have been hit many times with "The Ugly Stick"

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Silt striders, yes please.

I hated the fact that you could just click on a town and be there within a second on Oblivion, I believe it to be a reason why I simply cannot play it for any length of time.
The entire world feels slightly disjointed to me, Morrowinds introduction to the game was great start in a small fishing village and catch a strider to a town or explore the local surroundings.
Oblivion just dumps you in a forest and laughs as you peer out to the horizon and see nothing but more trees.
That feeling of being lost never escaped me and I never found direction in that game.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
you forgot BUG REMOVAL! 5+ years after release and it,s still buggy! (yeah I know that some modder released a patch but it,s a 60$ AAA game not a Ikea product that you gotta fix yourself!)
Also I would like the ability to dual wield dagger,s (maybe include it as a separate skill buffed by rogues/assassin,s?)

Apr 28, 2008
QA testing. Considering how buggy Bethesda's games are, I suppose thats a big thing they need to work on though, rather then a small thing.

As for a small thing: Having NPC's notice your actions in the world as time goes on.

Its no fun doing a bunch of stuff, save the world, ect. only to have everyone ignore it. When your champion in Cyrodiil, walking around in your golden armor, everyone acts like your just some guy.

Your the damn champion, you did lots of things, I wish people would notice it. Along with many other things you'd do. Like maybe do enough quests in a town, the people warm up to you, and are more friendly. Or if you kill lots of people, everyone knows about it, and are more scared/pissed at you.

Its one thing I loved about New Vegas. When you did something big in the world, people notice, and comment on it. Makes it feel like your actually having an effect on the world.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Lyri said:
Silt striders, yes please.

I hated the fact that you could just click on a town and be there within a second on Oblivion, I believe it to be a reason why I simply cannot play it for any length of time.
The entire world feels slightly disjointed to me, Morrowinds introduction to the game was great start in a small fishing village and catch a strider to a town or explore the local surroundings.
Oblivion just dumps you in a forest and laughs as you peer out to the horizon and see nothing but more trees.
That feeling of being lost never escaped me and I never found direction in that game.
A second? With Oblivions loading times? Hell it would probably be quicker to take the Silt Strider.

Definatly looking forward to Skyrim, I just want them to make landscapes more identifiable and have some more noteworthy landmarks so I dont need to look at a map every 10 seconds to know where I am.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
Persuasion wheel yes.
I'm playing oblivion currently doing every side-quest and Speech-whatever is one of my main skills.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I agree with all 5. Very nice article.

My request?

No stagger mechanic.

It is not fun being in a room with 5 necromancers and having absolutely no chance to fight back as you get repeatedly staggered. Robbing the player of their control is, in my book, a gaming deadly sin.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
With you all the way on the persuasion wheel just boring repeatitive mini game. I'm not sure about the getting rid of fast travel as for me it just saves time, but I would like the choice to use an alternative travel system as being able to intsantly teleport to anywhere on the map kinda spoils the fun of having a large open world to explore.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Torque669 said:
A second? With Oblivions loading times? Hell it would probably be quicker to take the Silt Strider.

Definatly looking forward to Skyrim, I just want them to make landscapes more identifiable and have some more noteworthy landmarks so I dont need to look at a map every 10 seconds to know where I am.
They don't actually walk you anywhere, you still go through a loading screen.

Captcha: Portals Blood.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
"I saw a mudcrab the other day." You live in the SWAMP. You must see a mudcrab EVERY day, do you really feel the need to bring it up like it's hot news?
Now THAT made me chuckle! So true. Watching NPCs interact is just painful. Sometimes I like to watch them in the vain hope that maybe, just maybe, the randomly selected lines they spout MIGHT just fit together and sound vaguely like a feasable conversation... I'm still waiting.

Also, I'd say that the voice acting part is actually the major gripe for most players, it's certainly the one I hear most and the one I complain about most! I never used the persuation wheel, easier just to use a powerful charm spell.

I'd quite like to see horses again. It sounds pointless but I get attached to any form of animal transport that I'm given in a game. Read Dead Redemption had me so attached to my horse that I'd reload an entire mission just to get my horse back which had accidentally died. I want that connection with my faithfull steed in Skyrim. Somehow the horses in Oblivion just felt like some sort of strange animal-like machine and I never really cared all that much.

Jidget

Mar 17, 2010
Completely agree with the voice acting issue. I always got so damn suspicious when you gave a beggar a coin and his voice suddenly turned from feeble old man into husky... not so old man.

fisk0

Aug 19, 2009
These are all good points, but the only thing I'd really need is for Bethesda to let/get Jeremy Soule to do full orchestral suites for the game, instead of just 1-2 minute songs. In a game like Morrowind or Oblivion there should be hours upon hours of music, the songs should be in the 15-25 minute range like 'real' classical music (and Jeremy Soul is a classically trained composer), you should be able to walk from one town to another without hearing the same song looping twice or thrice.

I could even live with them having only two or three voice actors in the entire game if they did that.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Lyri said:
Torque669 said:

They don't actually walk you anywhere, you still go through a loading screen.

Captcha: Portals Blood.
Awwh, I never played Morrowind and kind of imagined them as big walking tanks and youd get to the Scenery as it rode your character around. I think it would be cool to have something like that though, maybe some shops and such on it, almost like a large walking town.

May 26, 2010
No Silt striders, those are native to Morrowind, but some form of fast travel service, and guild guides again. You're right, fast travel is no fun.

Onyx Oblivion said:
If you find Fast-Travel via menu ruins your immersion...Don't use it. Duh.
Sadly, this doesn't work. If the feature is there, it is used by the player because no player wants to be skirting around parts of the game they don't like, and they shouldn't have to. I'm just saying rather than say "don't indulge a feature of the game you don't like because the devs don't actually care about you or your petty problems", there should be a menu option to turn menu-based fast travel off so the player can enjoy the experience properly to what they then percieve as the game's limits, rather than going through the game attempting to ignore an immersion-breaking feature because they're unable to change the game to how they want to play it.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
I don't think the Silt Strider or Voice acting point are small at all.

Morrowind at least had a different voice per race... ALL 3 elf races in Oblivion shared the same voice.. it was terrible. I could easily tell the difference between an Imperial and a Breton by their voice in Morrowind.

And I am completely against instant fast travel at any time like in Oblivion. Fast travel should have some limits, I think. That's why I prefer the Silt Striders. Why have a massive land to explore if you just fast travel everywhere at the click of a button?

Yes I realize it's optional... but using Silt Striders as a more immersive alternative in Oblivion was NOT optional.

Chiefmon

Dec 26, 2008
I wish that when you craft weapons with magical effects, by adding a negative effect for the holder, it would cost less "magic points" to use. I like the idea of making a sword that would do insane damage, but every swing would lower my health slightly. Think "cursed weapon".