Valve Announces Free DLC for Portal 2

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Valve Announces Free DLC for Portal 2

Portal 2's first DLC package has been announced, and it'll be totally free.

The official announcement of the announced it'd be announcing [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304119290&sr=8-1] is here. The package Valve is calling Portal 2 DLC #1 for now will arrive in summer 2011 on all platforms and won't cost players anything.

What's the catch? Valve and Aperture Science get more testing data, that's what, which you know they're using for something devious.

Portal 2 DLC #1 wasn't detailed very much in the official announcement, sadly, but more information will probably come with some incredibly mysterious alternate-reality game that'll require fans to read last ARG [http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Huckleberry-Finn-Chapters-01/dp/B003VS0U08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304119756&sr=8-1]?

What we do know is that DLC #1 will feature new test chambers, leaderboards, a challenge mode in both single-player and multiplayer, and more. The "challenge mode" seems to hint toward something that might give players a timer that'll record how quickly they can complete chambers or other specific goals. "More" could mean anything from new music to new test chamber mechanics to a 10-hour expansion of the game's storyline and preview of Half-Life 3.

And again, this DLC will be completely free. If you don't like things that are free, you're welcome to mail Valve a check on your own accord.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
That should shut anyone hating on the Portal 2 store up for a bit.

Who am I kidding, it won't.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY- Oh, wait.

Keep being awesome Valve; glad to hear all the platforms are being treated equally for this content rather than Microsoft forcing to charge for DLC.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I'll send them an email and demand that I get to pay for this! I hate free stuff!
Seriously though, I like this.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
It may be free, but they're still making me pay for hats so this is bullshit too.

(...or something)

-m

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
It may be free, but they're still making me pay for hat so this is bullshit too.

(...or something)

-m
Silly Matt, don't you have enough crazy/silly hats in the costume hat rack?
I do recall a giant green fluffy hat :3

OT: I wonder though, what kind of evil plan is Microsoft scheming since it's free on the Xbox aswell. Valve must've found a loophole or something xD

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
To all those who hated on the hat 'DLC'?

Ha... Ha... Ha...

Why? Cause I get levels, and game-play modes, and it's all free. ***** about that, eh?

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
The hat money goes in part to cover the expenses of giving players "free" stuff. Valve you are awesome, keep them hats rolling if you plan to keep the game going.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
so they said nothing about content, eh?
so this may just be episode 3 in a very clever disguise.

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
Sweeet, the only thing I thought was missing was a challenge mode.

Was nice going through the single player and everything, but I kind of missed the pure evil challenges that were in Portal 1.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
binvjoh said:
That should shut anyone hating on the Portal 2 store up for a bit.

Who am I kidding, it won't.
I'm sure the free-ness will be even worse in their books since it proves even Valve consider it worthless.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Considering the free content for Burnout Paradise I've got high hopes for this to be huge.

But I don't think it will be quite that.

Apr 28, 2008
Once again, Valve shows us how its doing DLC right. Giving stuff integral to the experience(or enhancing the experience) to everyone for free, and instead selling the stuff not everyone would want. Stuff that is not integral to the game, and offers nothing to the experience.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Challenge mode?

Please no STUPID step counter this time.

Please.
Step counter...?

Sober Thal said:
Free content, or the rest of a really short game?

Either way, this will make the price of Portal 2 legit.

I hope.
... wow. I find it hard to believe that at any point after finishing the single player you said to yourself "this is an incomplete game". Its free content, I mean, I know there's 'always one', but Jesus fucking H.

Its not like this is a big new thing for them, born in the brains of some cynical PR rep. They've always done it.

"Now With 30% More Entitlement". Tell me about it.

MrGFunk said:
Considering the free content for Burnout Paradise I've got high hopes for this to be huge.

But I don't think it will be quite that.
Valve don't make Burnout Paradise...?

OT: Valve's DLC is always free, 'tis not news!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
*angrily writes a check to Valve* I'll show you, you greedy bastards! Giving me stuff for free, will you?