222: Too Gay for the U.S.A.

Yukichin

Mar 26, 2009
Kanji isn't necessarily gay; he's more likely bisexual, seeing as he doesn't seem to care what gender the other characters are.

Also, Japan is rather homophobic as well; they make fun of it for the most part.

And this may be a controversial statement, but... I can think of one major reason why violence is more acceptable in the Western world than sexuality is: look at the Bible. Compare how much violence it has to how much sexuality it has. There's your explanation.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Korth13 said:
Valkyria Chronicles has characters that gain boosts in the field when they are near a gender they fancy. About half are straight and the other half are gay or bi-sexual.

My copy in the UK has this feature but did America sensor this aspect of the game?
I noticed it in my (American) copy. It must have slipped by them.

I was wondering before this article but I'm wondering what the first reaction over at MS was like when R* announced that the second exclusive dlc pack for gta4 would be called Gay Tony.
I also wonder what will win out for the real homophobes on xbl: homophobia or the schadenfreude of owning exclusive content.

Zivlok

Dec 12, 2008
So, what about Maximillion from the third Pheonix Wright game? Yes, he flirts with girls, but his look, manner, and constant use of the word "fabulous" made me wonder if he was more gay in the original Japanese version. Also, it's possible it was a giant Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series joke.

LCP

Dec 24, 2008
LeonHellsvite said:
ugh why is america so anti homosexual? because of it all of north america can't get certain games... accept someones sexuality and get on with it there will always be homosexual people you cant stop that.
Because people have the right to accept and not accept what they want...

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
About the whole severed head thing, In America, violence is commonplace in fictional TV (obviously) and we (I'm from the US) almost always write it off as an effect, with no one getting dismembered. Obviously though, the two men kissing is obviously a real action taking place. That might explain the cringing.

I honestly couldn't care less about homosexuality in forms of media.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
bushwhacker2k said:
I recall hearing about Birdo being a guy. Yeah, being homophobic seems to be a popular fad that just won't die in the USA... I wonder why?
wolfy098 said:
cos they don't get out enough...
Cause the homophobes are homosexual themselves and hide it via overcompensation.

Mother Yeti

May 31, 2008
LCP said:
LeonHellsvite said:
ugh why is america so anti homosexual? because of it all of north america can't get certain games... accept someones sexuality and get on with it there will always be homosexual people you cant stop that.
That wasn't his question. Why is it that seemingly so many more people in the US exercise their "right" to not "accept" homosexuality than anywhere else in the First World?

LCP

Dec 24, 2008
Mother Yeti said:
LCP said:
LeonHellsvite said:
That wasn't his question. Why is it that seemingly so many more people in the US exercise their "right" to not "accept" homosexuality than anywhere else in the First World?
I havent been out of Us much, but I have lived 7 yrs in colombia, and its not something people would consider good there. Hence the word Maricon

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
LeonHellsvite said:
From the article:
"Tingle may be out in Europe and Japan, but it seems America would rather gay videogame characters stay in the closet."

OK, while this article was a decent one, I take issue with it's broad brush statements like the one above and Leon's.

"America" isn't one singular entity most of the time and whatever choices our culture vs Japan's might find more objectionable, it isn't Americans insisting that depictions of homosexuality be removed, it is marketers, companies, and higher ups that are making choices about what I see in a game. I didn't ask anyone to change Streets of Rage 3.

This is not to say that there isn't bigotry out there, born of misunderstandings, fear or hate, this isn't to say that in many places in America there aren't places where people just don't understand homosexuality and as a result behave ignorantly or worse, cruelly. There's a long way to go for gay rights in my country.

But by painting us all with the same brush, you're doing the exact same thing as those who oppose homosexual rights. Just sayin'.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
You know, as trivial as it might be to some people, the treatment of the 'birdo' character really has gotten to me, especially as this article was apparently about how we're so bigoted towards LGBT people, during which birdo is referred to as 'a guy who thinks he is a girl' and is 'gender confused' Wow, way to be incredibly transphobic whilst decrying homophobia. And then to put LGBT as a tag? Be honest. You apparently only care about LG and B at a push issues, or you wouldn't be so casually hateful towards a trans character, even if the character is -birdo-.

Clyde

Aug 12, 2009
I heard Vivian from Paper Mario was originally a man.
Ash from Streets of Rage 3, the most blatantly homosexual character I've seen, was banned from the US release.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
About cross dressing Cloud. I don't care if he was in women's clothing as he's browsing the New Yorker and BAR Reporter [http://ebar.com/] while sipping an Americano on a bench in San Francisco's Dolores Park. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolores_Park] He's still not queerer than his default look.

And I mean nothing homophobic or offensive in the above statement. I'm a bisexual man who volunteers for the SF Branch of Equality California [http://www.eqca.org/site/pp.asp?c=kuLRJ9MRKrH&b=4026385] every Wednesday.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Onmi said:
Technically Kanji isn't Gay. He's more Pansexual than anything since he seems to latch onto anything that can comfort him (after all he wanted just as much as eveyrone else to see Naoko in a swim suit)
Don't forget, part of Kanji's massive confusion about his sexuality is caused by Naoto. He doesn't understand why he feels the way he does around this "boy", then comes to grips with it.
Then finds out she's a girl.
A large part of his sexual confusion is the fact that he's slightly afraid of girls at first, after the way they teased him. But you're right: Kanji's sexuality is never openly stated and is more of a message about accepting yourself rather than "HOMOSEXUALITY IS OKAY MMKAY?"
Which is a good thing.

Naoto's character would also have been interesting to look at in this article. A fifteen year old girl who dresses and acts like a boy to the point of binding her chest, so that "people will take her seriously."
She has been doing this so long that everyone actually thinks she's a boy. She doesn't want to be a girl; apart from school, she works as a detective, in a workplace that is predominantly male. She has enough trouble being taken seriously due to her age, so she tricks everyone into thinking she's a boy to stop that also being used against her. This whole fear of not being taken seriously has made her start to hate being born female; she just wants to be a boy. This represents itself in her area in the world in the television, with her shadow being a young boy crying for attention. Who wants to perform a gender reassignment surgery on Naoto.

After saving her from her dungeon, she becomes more accepting of her gender, but she's still a little uncomfortable about it. When completing her social link, she fully accepts the whole "Yes, I'm a girl, but it shouldn't change things" message.

I've noticed the entire game is pretty much a representation of issues that teenagers can go through. Wanting to find their own place in the world, popularity, gender issues, sexuality issues... It's rather deep.

Serenegoose said:
You know, as trivial as it might be to some people, the treatment of the 'birdo' character really has gotten to me, especially as this article was apparently about how we're so bigoted towards LGBT people, during which birdo is referred to as 'a guy who thinks he is a girl' and is 'gender confused' Wow, way to be incredibly transphobic whilst decrying homophobia. And then to put LGBT as a tag? Be honest. You apparently only care about LG and B at a push issues, or you wouldn't be so casually hateful towards a trans character, even if the character is -birdo-.
The "guy who thinks he's a girl" line is a direct quote from the SMB2(?) manual. It may explain the usage of that phrase.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
wow. something anyone with half a brain would know in article form. entertaining.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Caimekaze said:
The "guy who thinks he's a girl" line is a direct quote from the SMB2(?) manual. It may explain the usage of that phrase.
ok, poor quote to explain my point. But then referring to 'his gender confused history' implies that, knowing that birdos gender identity is female, is irrelevant, because birdo only thinks 'he' is a girl. Which is about as neatly transphobic as you can get, because it states that internal gender identity is irrelevant compared to physical characteristics.

A non-transphobic way of acknowledging that birdos transness was completely omitted from the american version would simply be referring to 'her' instead of 'his', though 'gender confused' is both insulting and a poor choice of words. A trans person is rarely confused about their gender. Other people might be, but we aren't.

KingKamor

Jul 8, 2008
Another game in the Persona series, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, gave the player the option to have a homosexual relationship with one of the male characters in the party. This game never came to America; only the second half of the two-part game, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, was actually localized. Sure, the first game had Hitler in it, but then again, plenty of American games have him, too, and it wasn't like he was painted as a sympathetic villain or anything in P2, either. Then again, this was back in the mid 90s.

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
Pararaptor said:
Does anyone remember how Fallout 3 was commended for its inclusion of homosexual NPCs in the wasteland, yet of the three gay men, one was a prissy fashion-queen & the other a moustached, hard-voiced rough character with a weaker, dominated lover, & that the two lesbians had hideous rotting skin?
Did I... Did I miss something?