Stolen Pixels #256: The E-Pology

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008

Flowers make everything better, right?

Read Full Article

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Of all the jokes I've seen regarding this security breach, I think I like this one the best - the bit about "hackers don't know you pretend to be a woman in Playstation Home" really sold it for me, heh.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
I must apologize Shamus, because while your joke was actually hilarious, I didn't laugh.

I've seen just a bit too much of this SONY crap and I'm kinda sick of it to be honest, so it's reached beyond the point of funny and brought only a few pieces of lint and a flat tire

Misho-

May 20, 2010
I know this is funny... But I'm not really laughing. Just because I actually believe (call me dumb) that Sony isn't really at fault here... I mean, replace Sony (or $ony if you like) with Microsoft (again Micro$oft) in the story and every joke would be like: "Derp derp we just be laying these papers here on the backalley... We is smart!~~ Like with Bill Gates... Check the VG Cats web comic for inspiration" I mean... Lets get outside the realm of games... Just replace the company name (Sony) with something like Bank of America... Everyone would be like: "They took a week to realize what had happened?! You just lost my trust Bank of America!!!" (throw in a $ in the name... I couldn't find where to put it).

I mean seriously? And besides... Why nobody is making jokes about the hackers being dickwads???
I guess it goes something like this: Anonimity + Normal person + Audience = Dickwad... Right?
So... Anonimity + Hacker + All your info = Some kind of ultra Dickwad... But wait! If you add "Sticking it to the man" into the Equation he becomes a Freedom Fighter ermmm fighting for liberty!

Oh sure and some people are like: "nobody thinks that, they be just as bad" or "without hackers we wouldn't have secure networks because they are the ones constantly breaking and breaching the security systems in place so that we can come up with stronger ones..."

I mean besides of the point that without hackers, we wouldn't need security upgrades constantly so that doesn't make it ok... I think that people should be focusing on the hackers more and making fun of Sony less... They are doing what they can at the moment and have a lot to lose right now. It's like kicking someone on the face while he's prone on the floor bleeding out from the bullet wound he just received from a mugger. And then going home and making fun on the Internet of how he was whimpering while I kicked him in the face. Oh, and he was trying to scrible an apology letter to give you at the same time...

Anyway... Make more fun of hacker$. I mean if possible.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Convince Square Enix to hurry up and release Parasite Eve 2 on PSN, and you'll have my forgiveness, Sony.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I forgave them when it happened. >_>

But yeah...it did take them awhile to actually start giving decent PR.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Shamus Young said:

Read Full Article
I think rather than months, this'll be tied up in the next few weeks on Sony's end. That's about all they'll have if they want to get people back, or keep the ones they haven't yet lost. The attention span of the online gamer is short, because there are so many options available.

The saving grace for PSN is the high buy-in required to even be a customer. People aren't just going to walk away from a gajillion dollar console purchase, and they're not going to relegate themselves to offline-only play.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The problem with their statement is that now they say that maybe the hackers didn't even get out personal info either. And while it would be great if they did, Sony had already confirmed via a mass e-mail they sent out that they were 100% sure that the intruder got that info. So the statement was really just them changing their story yet again, and I still have no clue which of their statements I should believe.

As long as they follow up on their promise of helping set us up with credit monitoring and do a good job of that, and they don't sneak any nonsense in the new firmware update's EULA that says they aren't at fault and we can't sue them or be mad or whatever (let the FBI, Homeland Security, and whoever else is investigating determine how much, if any, fault should be laid at Sony. don't let Sony decide that themselves), I can move past this.

OutrageousEmu said:
If user created and shared inFAMOUS 2 missions don't get people, Twisted Metals online will.
Twisted Metal yes, inFamous hell no. I still have a user created mission for inFamous 2, though. It's called "Save Your Money" and entails the player not buying inFamous 2 in the first place. Completion of the mission awards the player with not having wasted $60 and their time on a game that's bound to be shitty considering how awful the first one (and every other game by Sucker Punch) was.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Sorry Shamus, not your best work. Maybe I just didn't get it, but I didn't really find it very funny at all.

On a related note, it'll be interesting to see how Sony changes their marketing strategy following this debacle. I'd imagine that they'd want to get as far away from their pre-hacked image as possible to distinguish the quality of the services. I'd like to see if they advertise the (hopefully) improved security as well; on one hand, they might want to make a big deal out of how much better the security is, but this might be construed as a challenge by other hackers. On the other hand, if they improve the security, but try to just sweep the whole thing under the rug, people might not be convinced they're doing all they can improve their security.

Anyways getting a little off-topic here sooo... Looking forward to next comic, of course; hopfully it'll be a bit better than today's.

L3G0kees

Mar 25, 2010
They didn't communicate in first because it was a FBI investegation and they didn't want to bring out info that could be profen wrong the next day.

I'm a PSN user and I just can't wait until PSN is back online, and I think that the early announcment of the welcome back programm is a giant + for sony too.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
HankMan said:
Shamus Young said:
flowers are apropriate, considering how much their user base wilted because of the PSN outage.
Your puns in your last few posts have been quite amusing. Well done I say, Well played.

OT: Well Portal 2 did release just before the PSN intrusion happened so I'm pretty sure people are staying for that. I'm not a PSN user myself but when I get Portal 2 it'll probably be the PS3 version just so I can get the PC download tagging along. Though I do have to comment that even though Sony are attempting to make amends with their customers now, I think they are a few weeks late to booking the apology booth.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I want flowers; why didn't I get flowers?
HankMan said:
Shamus Young said:
flowers are apropriate, considering how much their user base wilted because of the PSN outage.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
mjc0961 said:
The problem with their statement is that now they say that maybe the hackers didn't even get out personal info either. And while it would be great if they did, Sony had already confirmed via a mass e-mail they sent out that they were 100% sure that the intruder got that info. So the statement was really just them changing their story yet again, and I still have no clue which of their statements I should believe.
Well actually, taken from the email, ?Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID.?
So there you go.
OT: Funny as always Shamus, I think I love you.

Olofelefant

Feb 18, 2011
HankMan said:
No offence or anything, but I have seen you ON EVERY SINGLE THREAD

OT: nice