Recap - Episode 3: ?Lord Snow?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Recap - Episode 3: ?Lord Snow?

Daenerys gets a visit from The Great Stallion and Ned visits a whorehouse.

Read Full Article

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Where's mah tri-eyes crow? And Ghost? Ghost, remember, the big f****** wolf? Without the weird dreams of bran, it seems to kill the mystical aspect that GoT hides :(

Goldeneye1989 said:
Spoiler: It was the Butterfly, No one expects the butterfly *maniacal laughter*
Tsssk, it was old nan. She's actually a witch, tis true!

Edit: reading through the book, almost every betrothal in this era is 'rape', since barely anyone get to chose who they marry. well, then there's Clegor (;p).

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Thanks for this update. I listened to the first three books a few years ago, and I don't have HBO at the moment, so it's nice to be able to read along and remind myself of the story until I can watch the series. I agree that it's quite a shame about what they did with Drogo's character, since changing him doesn't really doesn't seem like it would serve much of a purpose in the end. Do you think they did it primarily to change the viewers' perceptions of Dany?

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I just dont understand why this show is such a huge thing. This show is on HBO. Not everyone has that channel. Ive lived 25 years and have never seen a single show on HBO. The only way I would be able to watch the show it by torrenting it.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
When I read the series I generally skipped many of the boring characters chapters, which you sadly can't do with the TV series. In addition the mystic aspects of Bran have been totally left out (could have shown visions at least etc) at least so far, and the whole "dragon egg" setup has really been left out as well at this point.

It's not horrible and might have potential to get better later on after the characters start to be fleshed out a bit more (if they actually flesh them out) but for now it seems like they are rushing through everything quickly and missing out on many important character developments early on. I realize it's hard to deal with internal dialog in video, but Bran and Snow especially really need to have their thoughts broadcast in some way to understand how they are changing and developing as characters (same with the dragon princess...can't remember her name).

My wife is watching the series with me and has tons of questions since she has not read the books. Since she rarely asks questions when watching movies I am guessing it is pretty hard for someone to follow all of this if they do not have previous knowledge of the story. I don't really see who will really enjoy this series if so much is left out from the series (making it hard to enjoy if your a fan) and so much is left unexplained if you are not.

House_Vet

Dec 27, 2009
wulfy42 said:
When I read the series I generally skipped many of the boring characters chapters, which you sadly can't do with the TV series.
At the risk of fanboyism, WHAAAAAAAAAAAT? You can't just have a book that leaps from combat to combat, that's the fantasy equivalent of Alex Bl00dy Rider...

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
Gah, It pisses me off! I was so excited when the first one came on, and I told myself I'd keep up with watching it. However, The ONLY one I saw was the first, and forgot to watch it for the past two weeks >.<

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
House_Vet said:
wulfy42 said:
When I read the series I generally skipped many of the boring characters chapters, which you sadly can't do with the TV series.
At the risk of fanboyism, WHAAAAAAAAAAAT? You can't just have a book that leaps from combat to combat, that's the fantasy equivalent of Alex Bl00dy Rider...

Nah, I didn't just want unending combat etc, I just found some of the characters and stories a bit dull. I did the same thing for the last few books in the Wheel of Time series (just reading Rands and Mat's parts mostly at the end). Sometimes I just don't like certain characters and when a book skips between them constantly and almost has entire different stories going....I skip the characters I don't like.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
I have not read the books, but I really like the show and the characters so far, maybe the plot seems a tad slow at times, but there's always some new info coming in. I'm guessing there's battles and action coming near the end of the season.
Still don't find it hard to follow the plot and even when I forget, they mention each others names pretty often.

The only thing I hate about this series is that I decided to follow it as it shows and not watch it when the season is finished, so now there's a whole week of waiting.

LakuNoce

Oct 18, 2010
I'd like to watch this show sometime in the future. And frankly it starts bothering me that I may even get a minor spoiler by the front page teaser.

Also: Who are these articles for, exactly? My guess: For Susan Arendt, mostly. ;)

Or it's a special kind of advertising, in a bad way.

RockyMotion

Oct 28, 2010
Why are there spoilers in the subtitle of this article where anyone can read them unintentionally?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
LakuNoce said:
I'd like to watch this show sometime in the future. And frankly it starts bothering me that I may even get a minor spoiler by the front page teaser.

Also: Who are these articles for, exactly? My guess: For Susan Arendt, mostly. ;)

Or it's a special kind of advertising, in a bad way.
Actually, no, it'd be far more enjoyable for me to just watch the show and not take notes on it while I do. These recaps are for people new to the series who may find themselves a bit lost. I've spoken with several people who are happy to have all the names and places laid out for them, because it helps them keep everyone straight.

Martin Krause

May 3, 2011
What about the scene with King Robert, Tywin and Lancel Lanister? Lancel will be important, but the scene is not mentioned in this report.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Martin Krause said:
What about the scene with King Robert, Tywin and Lancel Lanister? Lancel will be important, but the scene is not mentioned in this report.
That's Ser Barristan Selmy actually. Lord Tywin is played by Charles Dance.