Portal 2 Fan Dumps Mouse for Kinect Hack

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Portal 2 Fan Dumps Mouse for Kinect Hack

Toss that mouse into an incinerator, you won't be needing it anymore.

Yesterday we discovered that you don't actually need portals [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109709-Portal-2-Player-Doesnt-Think-With-Portals-Wins-Anyway] to succeed in Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0JIQW/ref=s9_newr_gw_ir03?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1RVMFMH5R52KPM2NH8FX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] and today it looks like you don't need a controller either. That's assuming, of course, you've got a Kinect sensor and you've hacked it to work with you PC.

YouTube user "cooleybrad08 [http://www.youtube.com/user/cooleybrad08]" hooked up his Kinect to his PC, and used the FAAST middleware to map various button presses to gestures. The controls seem pretty simple: Chell moves forward and back based on where the player's foot is, strafes when the player leans left and right, and jumps when the player raises his or her left foot. The player controls the mouse with his or her right hand, firing blue portals by extending his or her right arm, and orange portals by doing the same with his or her left arm. Finally, the player sticks his or her left hand out to the side to pick up and drop things, and crouches to, well, crouch.

As you can see from the video, it works pretty well, although Portal 2 isn't optimized for use with Kinect and some of the game's more difficult puzzles would be pretty tricky playing this way. Nonetheless, it's not hard to see how a first person shooter could work on Kinect with some slightly more intuitive movements, as long as players can get past not having anything in their hands.

Source: Dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/playing-portal.php]

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
This sounds a lot more complicated than just using a mouse and keyboard...

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Burning calories while improving brain activity?

Now you're thinking with Portals B]

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
Fasckira said:
It may be more complicated, but with a good surround system, it sure a lot more deep.(sorry can't get the word I'm thinking)

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Lot more interesting than the official software put out for the Kinect so far.

Tuqui said:
Fasckira said:
It may be more complicated, but with a good surround system, it sure a lot more deep.(sorry can't get the word I'm thinking)
Would that word be immersive, perhaps?

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
oh yes, sorry auto-correct kept changing it to subversive no idea why.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Tuqui said:
Fasckira said:
I find standing up and awkward controls to be less immersive.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
this will need ALOT more work before its in a little bit usefull for most games

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
Maybe the player can have something in their hand, like a fake gun or something.

Maybe it'd work a bit like a hybrid of the PSmove and Kinect, I'm not sure, I haven't used either but I get the general jist of them both.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Numachuka said:
Yahtzee would certainly agree with you. I find good controls to be immersive regardless of the form they take. A well designed controller with well though-out button mappings to work just fine, but the closer your body's actions mimic the action on screen the more potential for immersion.

Still, good control design should take top precedent over trying to shoehorn motion controls into a game where they don't belong..

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
Numachuka said:
Tuqui said:
Fasckira said:
Well me too, when I saw the video all I though was that could use a lot of tweaking, I'm talking with a smoother control, of course.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
hawk533 said:
Numachuka said:
Yahtzee would certainly agree with you. I find good controls to be immersive regardless of the form they take. A well designed controller with well though-out button mappings to work just fine, but the closer your body's actions mimic the action on screen the more potential for immersion.

Still, good control design should take top precedent over trying to shoehorn motion controls into a game where they don't belong..
I think the reason why controllers are great for immersion is because eventually when you're comfortable with it you kind of forget it's there. We should never have to fight with controls and the second we have to because it's clunky or doesn't work well that's when immersion breaks down.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
While it's showing some of the potential for Kinect, it seems like it's making playing the game needlessly complicated.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Wow, body controlled video games. This is about half of the virtual reality dreams I've had as a kid...The future is now!

Now we just need a holodeck for my dreams to be complete.