Nerf Gives Squirt Guns Action Movie Upgrade

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nerf Gives Squirt Guns Action Movie Upgrade

Nerf has beefed up its water guns with an idea borrowed from actual guns.

There's something very satisfying about watching an action movie star slam another magazine into his or her weapon of choice, before dispatching hordes of villainous henchmen. You and I might not get into quite so many gun fights, but with summer coming up, there's every chance you might get into a water fight, and thanks to the folks at Nerf [http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/shop/browse/Nerf/Super-Soaker/_/N-1rZgtZ69/Ne-2l?Items=50], you can recreate your own action movie moments, without having to fatally wound anyone.

The chunky magazines have watertight valves on the top so that they don't leak, and hold up to 10 fl.oz, or just a little less than 300 ml. There are a couple of guns that use the magazines: the Nerf Super Soaker "Thunderstorm," and the Nerf Super Soaker "Tornado Strike." Slightly silly names aside, the guns look pretty cool: The Tornado Strike is shaped like a submachine gun, while the Thunderstorm is a battery-operated pistol, which doesn't require pumping and is capable of fully automatic fire. Best of all, the guns and the magazines are all pretty cheap. The guns cost between $15 and $20, and spare magazines cost $4.

This is the kind of idea that seems so obvious and simple, you're surprised that no one thought of it before. After all, not having to go and refill your gun so often is almost certain to give you the edge in any water fight, regardless of who it's with. Heck, you could even invest in a couple of bandoleers if you wanted, although that's probably overkill.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/05/super-soaker-introduces-a-new-wrinkle-to-squirt-guns-magazines.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
We have these in the Tesco where I work!
We don't have the proper Nerf weapons but we have these!

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Sooo cool! Wish I had that as a kid; the most annoying thing about Squirt gun fights was the constant pumping for pressure.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Wait... how would you actually distinguish "fully automatic fire" on a squirt gun from normal firing? It's not like you're shooting discrete objects, they fire a stream of water - sure, mechanically I suppose one could draw a parallel, but suggesting a squirt gun is "fully automatic" sounds every bit as strange as suggesting my garden hose is a fully automatic weapon of watery doom.

Basically I don't think automatic really works well in the context of water.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
And soon we can replace the super-soakified water with super-realistic bullets that actually penetrate the skin!

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Heck, you could even invest in a couple of bandoleers if you wanted, although that's probably overkill.
More like overspill. H20hhh yeah.

I might pick one of these up over the summer. Nice alternative to paint-balling, if you mix food dye in with the ammunition.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
They have these kinds of things for the regular Nerf guns, but I never thought they could work for water as well...

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
So does this spell the end of the foam projectile era? Especially if Nerf is making it?

That's like Kodak switching to only digital cameras.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Heck, you could even invest in a couple of bandoleers if you wanted, although that's probably overkill.

You take that back!

Actually, this new series of Super Soakers is a lot of fun. The clips are convenient, and they let the fun continue just a tiny bit longer. Also, the look and feel of the guns is beefier, and they're far more durable than the old ones.

As a Nerf blaster modder myself, I like what Nerf is up to lately.

Trent Kama

Apr 4, 2010
Squilookle said:
So does this spell the end of the foam projectile era? Especially if Nerf is making it?

That's like Kodak switching to only digital cameras.
Nope, Nerf is still producing crazy foam dart guns.