Sony Declines to Appear Before U.S. Congress

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Declines to Appear Before U.S. Congress

Sony says "thanks, but no thanks" to an invitation to testify before a U.S. Congressional hearing on "The Threat of Data Theft to American Consumers."

PS3 owners aren't the only ones appalled by the disastrous security breach of the PlayStation Network. The PR nightmare that just won't stop has also attracted the undoubtedly unwelcome attention of several government agencies in the Australia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109578-U-S-Senator-Blasts-Sony-for-Keeping-Breach-Secret]. The U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade actually sent a letter to Sony Chairman Kazuo Hirai last Friday, demanding answers to 13 "very particular questions" by the end of this week and inviting the company to appear before a Congressional hearing.

"We've taken a pretty tough line with the company, and they have agreed to provide answers to all of our questions by close of business tomorrow," Ken Johnson, a senior adviser and spokesman for Subcommittee Chairwoman Representative Mary Bono Mack, told the New York Times [http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/sony-declines-to-testify-at-upcoming-data-hearing/]. "While we understand the company is going through a tough time with this, there are certain questions that need answering."

But while Sony said it will answer the Subcommittee's questions, it's going to take a pass on the invitation to appear. "Sony is cooperating with the request for answers to the Committee's questions, and in fact will be providing our responses in advance of the deadline," a Sony rep said. "We informed the committee that we could not appear as early as this Wednesday because of our ongoing intensive investigation and management of this criminal cyberattack."

The hearing will "examine risks related to data breaches, the state of ongoing investigations, current industry data security practices, and available technology," matters which, not to put too fine a point on it, Sony has some rather extensive recent experience with. The PlayStation Network is still offline and earlier this week Sony Online Entertainment revealed that its security had been compromised [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109723-Hackers-Also-Hit-Sony-Online-Stole-12-700-Credit-Cards] as well.

via: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34485/Sony_Declines_To_Testify_At_Upcoming_Congressional_Hearing.php]

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
You know, as much as this security breach in Sony annoys the hell out of me - I had to change some passwords and cut up a credit card - I kind of find this obnoxious of the government to do.

Seriously, I'm still pissed about the banking fiasco here. How long did it take for them to pay back America for what they did? Oh, they still haven't yet... I see. And where are all the sub committees demanding to see these bankers? Oh, they already did that. And what happened? Oh yeah, we gave their dumb asses more money.

Sorry, but in the grand scheme of things, this Sony shit is insignificant. The government needs to get their priorities straight.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Why does this committee need to see Sony right now when they know and have acknowledged that they are going through measures to fix their attack? They need to back off and wait until Sony can get things back in order before they can go and talk to this pointless committee.

If the committee comes back and spins it where it seems like Sony is hiding something then they can piss off, right now as a consumer I want Sony to fix this, and I seriously doubt that this hearing will make me feel better about me changing my card and passwords because of this breach.
meganmeave said:
You know, as much as this security breach in Sony annoys the hell out of me - I had to change some passwords and cut up a credit card - I kind of find this obnoxious of the government to do.

Seriously, I'm still pissed about the banking fiasco here. How long did it take for them to pay back America for what they did? Oh, they still haven't yet... I see. And where are all the sub committees demanding to see these bankers? Oh, they already did that. And what happened? Oh yeah, we gave their dumb asses more money.

Sorry, but in the grand scheme of things, this Sony shit is insignificant. The government needs to get their priorities straight.
So much this.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, as long as they give answers, I see no reason for a direct appearance.

But they couldn't even spare a Sony Rep? >_>

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Why does Congress do this? PUBLICITY! All congressional hearings are for is making a person or organization grovel on live TV, and Sony has every right to refuse. They have done nothing wrong except maybe be slow to mention the breakin, but they were exceptional in handling the fechnical aspects.

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
Honestly what is the government going to do, they should let Sony fix this then yell at them (even though they have no right to because im assuming everyone checked yes on the terms of service, which legally most likely covers Sony's ass). I mean it is like someone yelling at you while you are trying to fix the mistake you made, it is doing no good. Once everything is said and done they should then yell at Sony.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
i dont get australia. its so small but it seems to have if finger in every pie there is.

australia seems to get a mention all over the place.

anyway i kind of think its a bit of a silly move to not testify before congress. to me it makes them sound like they dont care about data security.

StoryMode

Mar 18, 2010
Honestly, this whole fiasco is disgusting. I am really upset with whoever thought it was funny to do this because they didn't like Sony. People need to grow up. Of course, I can only assume that was part of the reason. This is hurting the players, and I thought that, from what I heard, this person was trying to make demands "for the players" idk...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
meganmeave said:

Actually, out of the 800B or so owed, there's only 19B left, and 22B of interest.

But yeah, good on you Sony. Let those old men in Congress stew for a bit when they realize how much "power" they hold.

drowboy

Jun 24, 2010
This is unbelievable.

It seems the government want to try make an example out of Sony, and this offends me as an individual. There seems to be set up for a trial, but what crime has Sony committed?

I understand that people would be concerned about the theft of personal information but that comes with the territory of online purchases. Folks if it concerns you that much, do what i did. Get caller ID, ask for a replacement card and screen your e-mail and physical mail. I am please to see the Sony wishes to make amends and I believe that they will do their best to learn from this mistake.

Here's hoping that the PSN soon returns. . .

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Congress likes to beat dead horses because it's easier than actual work

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Leave it to the government to turn this already bad situation into a witch hunt. Like Sony needs this as it is.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
meganmeave said:

It sounds a lot like what you're saying is "the government should completely ignore all but the largest problems" which is hardly sensible. Sony have a duty of care and a legal obligation to their customers, if the government doesn't enforce the rights of the consumer (the rights that the government has mandated as a legal minimum) then who's responsibility is it? I do agree that they (the government) shouldn't get carried away or react more harshly than they have to other private company fuck ups, but they certainly shouldn't ignore it.
drowboy said:
what crime has Sony committed?
Gross negligence, breach of their privacy policy, removal of a product products ability to to be used for it's specific purpose (on several counts) and distribution of a product that is below merchantable quality.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Nieroshai said:
Why does Congress do this? PUBLICITY! All congressional hearings are for is making a person or organization grovel on live TV, and Sony has every right to refuse. They have done nothing wrong except maybe be slow to mention the breakin, but they were exceptional in handling the fechnical aspects.
Sony has a right to decline the invitation only because Congress hasn't yet exercised its power to subpoena their appearance. If they are subpoenaed, they'll be forced to appear. Or risk citation for contempt.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Dys said:
Gross negligence, breach of their privacy policy, removal of a product products ability to to be used for it's specific purpose (on several counts) and distribution of a product that is below merchantable quality.
None of that's a "crime."

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
meganmeave said:

Actually, out of the 800B or so owed, there's only 19B left, and 22B of interest.

But yeah, good on you Sony. Let those old men in Congress stew for a bit when they realize how much "power" they hold.
They do hold subpoena power. And the power to cite for contempt. Congress' investigative powers are actually quite broad.