Super Mario Propaganda Paints Plumbers As the Enemy

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Super Mario Propaganda Paints Plumbers As the Enemy

If Bowser ever had to mount a propaganda campaign against the Mario brothers, this is how he'd do it.

It wasn't a cakewalk for Bowser to recruit soldiers for the Koopa Troop. Trying to convince turtles to go after a flying, butt-stomping, fire-wielding plumber by walking straight at him on the ground is not an easy task. No, to convince an army to go up against an obviously far more powerful foe, Bowser had to wage a war of propaganda. Probably.

Fro Design claims it created these propaganda posters that aim to bring recruits into the Koopa Troop, but I bet they were just pulled off of walls and poles somewhere in the Mushroom Kingdom. After seeing the set of four, how could you not want to join up?

[gallery=229]

One depicts a cruel-looking version of Mario as he reaches his hand toward the land depicted in Super Mario World, as if to crush it between his fingers. Another shows Bowser in all his Koopa Clown Car glory nobly leading the Koopa Troop. The others aim to reduce the number of power-ups for Mario to find, and to encourage Koopa Troopas to fight even through death, as a Boo.

So find your local recruiting office today, and follow your leader's clown-faced hovercraft into battle. You won't regret it, until you actually see Mario and he takes you down just by jumping, best case scenario.

Source: Fro Design [http://frodesignstore.blogspot.com/2011/04/mario-propaganda-set-of-4.html]

Coffinshaker

Feb 16, 2011
ha! this is pretty good!

I always liked the old propaganda art (don't get me wrong... I don't like the ideology behind it, just the art and absurdness of it), especially when it gets appropriated in ways such as this.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
I could have sworn this was posted as news just last week. Am I going crazy?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Awaiting snarky comment on how Mario really is bad and the series should die. I'm shocked someone hasn't made one yet.

OT: I lol'd when I first saw them. I lol'd now that I saw them again. Nice pics, props to the artist.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I lol'd at them making Mario look like Stalin. Though that's a bit of an old joke, still the high quality of these is hard to not enjoy.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
"He who koops, and runs away, lives to Koop another day."

~Our Glorious Leader

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Asuka Soryu said:
Princess Zelda and her evil reign must be stopped, by kidnapping her!
Wrong game bro.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I always wondered how Bowser kept getting new recruits. The propaganda inspired by Stalin probably helped...

HOOOOORAAAAHHH!!!

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
I have the Boo one Favorited on my DeviantArt. The guy did a bunch of other really neat ones too, though I'm not sure if they're his, or they're just collections of stuff.
These are pretty awesome though. i kinda want some for my wall.

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
DUDE!!! That last pic is serious Nightmare Fuel! I don't think I look at Super Mario World the same way again, knowing that those haunted houses are full of ghosts of Koopas *I* killed.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Either I'm getting déjà vu, I've seen this on another site, or this was a repost.

Despite all that, these images are awesome =)