Nintendo Drops Wii Sports From Wii Bundle, Slashes Price

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo Drops Wii Sports From Wii Bundle, Slashes Price

The Nintendo Wii is getting a new bundle at a newly slashed price, along with a lineup of budget-priced games.

After rumors had been hinting at a new Wii price cut for weeks, Nintendo just made it official, but with an interesting twist. On May 15, the price of the Wii will be reduced $50 to $149.99, which is the second official price cut in the console's 4+ year history. I just hope you don't care about Wii Sports anymore.

The original Wii pack-in that captivated gamers young and old for years is being taken out of the bundle in favor of Wii MotionPlus [http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Kart-Wii-Wheel-Nintendo/dp/B000XJNTNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304517247&sr=8-1] technology.

However, Nintendo isn't just sending Wii Sports into the endless nether. It'll be part of an also newly announced "Nintendo Selects" budget line, featuring Nintendo titles at the low, low price of $19.99. In addition to Wii Sports, Nintendo Selects will include Mario Super Sluggers [http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Twilight-Princess-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000FQBPCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1304517839&sr=1-1].

Mario Kart Wii is a great pack-in, but seriously, taking Wii Sports out to charge $20 for it? That's an odd move. If it was Wii Sports Resort, the majorly upgraded version of Wii Sports that features much more content, it'd be understandable. As such an integral piece of the Wii's success, why not just leave it in the bundle?

The price cut is likely a move to reinvigorate Wii sales before the tech specs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109522-Nintendo-Officially-Confirms-New-Console-for-2012] and innovative ability. It'll be interesting to see what kind of pack-in, if anything, Nintendo comes up with for the new machine.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
the Wii really is drowning. Cant wait to see what crazy crap Nintendo put into the next one. Fingers crossed for a decent console rather than a granny pleaser

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Taking out Wii Sports for the unavoidable item hell that is Mario Kart Wii? That's so dumb. Take out a nifty little game that shows off the Wii's abilities rather nicely for a game that works better with standard controls and is frustrating to play. Yeah.

People had better hurry up and get the Wii with Wii Sports in stores while they still have those in stock if they want one.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Wow....a game they can't make money on, that costs pennies to duplicate is removed from the system sells.... wow..... nin you fail!

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
So... We have Mario Kart Wii, Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing and some other game for 150$?

Argh! Living on a budget will be the death of me!!!

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
So... We have Mario Kart Wii, Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing and some other game for 150$?

No? I don't think you read that properly.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Honestly Wii sports has got more mileage then any of my other Wii games (and I play them quiet a bit) so from where I stand it would seem removing Wii Sports actually makes the package worse off.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
This does sound tempting to me, and I did miss out on Twilight Princess. Oh, but I need a new video card badly. Then theres my power supply. And I could always use a new Hard Drive.

Damn you technology D:

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
This makes a lot of sense to me, most game retailers (in England anyway) will have a second hand copy of Wii Sports for £3-4. Not that I'd ever buy another Wii, but it does make sense.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Twilight Princess is finally getting a price drop?

FUCK YES.

HankMan said:
They must have a real good Feeling about their new console if they're trying so hard to unload the Wii.
You are the OFFICIAL pun-master of the Escapist. SOMEONE GET THIS MAN A CUSTOM TITLE!

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Hiphophippo said:
Random Argument Man said:

No? I don't think you read that properly.
That's what I was wondering...

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
I was never a fan of wii sports. I thought it was just a couple of goofy gimmicks. I don't really see why so many other people like it.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Wow, I'm going to rush out right now and buy this! Because what I want more than an underpowered gaming system with fewer features than my Grandma's false teeth is a DYING underpowered gaming system for a pittance less.