Reapers Delay Mass Effect 3 Until 2012

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Reapers Delay Mass Effect 3 Until 2012

By "Reapers," we mean "EA and BioWare."

Plenty of gamers loved Mass Effect 2, which means that plenty of gamers are looking forward to the upcoming Mass Effect 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109761-Husks-Dont-Mess-Around-in-New-Mass-Effect-3-Screens]. And why shouldn't they? So far, it looks like one hell of an epic conclusion to the saga of Commander Shepard and the crew of the Normandy.

Unfortunately, said gamers will be waiting a bit longer than initially planned: EA and BioWare have confirmed that Mass Effect 3 will not be hitting its initial launch window [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106053-Mass-Effect-3-Trailer-Confirms-Earth-is-Screwed] of Holiday 2011, but will instead be hitting in early 2012.

"Today we have confirmed that Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012," said executive producer Casey Hudson in a statement posted on Facebook [http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150170133576645.300911.85811091644] and the BioWare message boards. "The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone's expectations. We'll have more details about specific dates as we get closer to release."

I don't mind delays, really. The best companies in the business delay games all the time; rushing a game out the door helps nobody. Besides, this just means that there will be more time for gamers to play Skyrim, Call of Duty: The Next One and Diablo III. Maybe not D3. Shut up, I can hope.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
I am ok with it since I want an amazing and polished game we except nothing less from Bioware.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the citadel.

Dec 14, 2009
Better it released later than in the same state that Dragon Age 2 was.

Don't get me wrong, DA2 is a great game, but damn does it lack polish.

Necator15

Jan 1, 2010
I'm actually glad for this. It gives me more time to get through Skyrim to an acceptable degree before starting another game I'm looking forward to.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Well, that hurts my heart to see, but I understand why and hope they make it three months better.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
The screenshots they threw on Facebook were pretty awesome too.

I'm perfectly fine with ME3 2012. Too much awesome stuff coming out this year anyways.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Annoying, but probably for the best; prevents conflict between it and Skyrim for my attentions over the holiday period. I'd prefer they take their time and make it better than rush it out and getting burned for it.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
John Funk said:
I don't mind delays, really. The best companies in the business delay games all the time; rushing a game out the door helps nobody. Besides, this just means that there will be more time for gamers to play Skyrim, Call of Duty: The Next One and Diablo III. Maybe not D3. Shut up, I can hope.
I absolutely agree, on both counts. Need at least a month combined time of no new releases to play the new M&B.
As for the delay, it is infinitely preferable to me that a studio delays a game to add further polish, or even full gameplay or story or whatever, (which it seems Bioware may be going for with a larger window like this) than rush it out the door. I would have loved to play a polished version of Brutal Legend, which is probably my best example. Besides, this gives me time to play the first two ME games. If they don't go on sale this week, I shall be massively disappointed, I shall cry, then I'll go back to shooting Polish people in the head.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Good.

Now I can happily play away on Skyrim for a few months in the knowledge that Bioware are taking their time to make ME3 great.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Enough time to buy a 360 and replay the two Mass Effect on it... So I am Ok with it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
At first I was like

and then I remembered the other fantastic games getting released in Q4 2011 and the fact that I probably be going to school by then. And then I realised that this is actually way better. Now I don't have to choose between Skyrim and ME3 when I ruin my education!

Shaegor

Oct 29, 2009
Too bad we'll never get to play it... because in 2012, the Reapers will appear.

AMAZED

Dec 6, 2010
I'm actually glad to see they are taking their time on this it would be a shame for it to get rushed out and not reach full potential, plus it will give me more time to play skyrim.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
cool, more dev time, opens up the window for SW:TOR. I'm okay with this.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I guess they figured out that short development times and recycled levels tend to divide the fans. If it leads to a better product, go for it.

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Frak.

Well, that's OK. I'll probably be broke due to Batman: Arkham City, Catherine, and other cool stuff coming out then.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Honestly? I kinda expected this sort of thing after Dragon Age 2 went down really, really badly. Plus, it gets them out of a crowded release window (as is the case pretty much every year).

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
This works out well for my wallet and expectations of the game, I personally thought it was a bit of a push for it come out this holiday season.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Uh.... we were expecting this, right?

I mean, Jebus, Bioware are epic, but even they can't complete Mass Effect 3 in a year and a half, as well as doing Dragon Age 2, Jade Empire, That Star Wars MMORPG and a butt-load of DLC.

Come on guys, get real. This was always going to happen.