Irrational Catches Up With the Big Daddy Builder

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Irrational Catches Up With the Big Daddy Builder

The man who created the life-sized Big Daddy suit tells Irrational Games that the project was more challenging than he expected, but things didn't get really ugly until he actually had to walk around in it.

Harrison Krix is a talented man. He's built a Portal gun [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89754-Replica-BioShock-Syringe-Is-Eerily-Realistic], but he's best known for his utterly ridiculous, awe-inspiring Big Daddy "Bouncer" costume. It's a full scale suit, with a working drill arm and glowing red helmet portholes, weighs over 50 pounds and took nearly two solid months to build. Oh, and it was apparently a little slice of hell to move around in, too.

Krix said he and his wife were putting the finishing touches on the suit right up to the very last second before transporting it to the 2009 Dragon*Con, a process which ended up taking two trips in two vehicles because of the sheer size of the thing. After "a comedy of errors" that ensued when the team arrived at their hotel, which included missing dome screws and dead batteries for the internal fans, he finally got the costume on, at which point the real unpleasantness began.

"[Walking around was] a solid nightmare. With the arm extension and drill you can't actually use your hands for anything. There are seven-inch lifts and 55 pounds of suit hanging off your back. And the positioning of the leg holes meant I could only take short, shuffling strides," he told the Irrational Insider [http://irrationalgames.com/insider/the-man-who-would-be-big-daddy/].

But it wasn't all bad. "It's hot and heavy, you're pretty much blind and deaf inside, my hair got caught in one of the fans a bunch of times, you can't pee or scratch your nose when the whole thing is together - and it's fantastic," he continued. "I ended up having to walk three blocks in Atlanta heat with that 60-pound monster on my back, but hearing people cheering from the balconies above made it all worthwhile."

But once Krix had his "fun" at Dragon*Con and then used the suit for some amazing cosplay photos [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96301-BioShock-Costume-Guy-in-the-Best-Cosplay-Pics-Ever] with his fiancee, he didn't keep the suit around for long. He said it was just too big to keep around, so after a couple of months of sitting in his garage he sold it to a private collector in Taiwan.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Hey, he's the same guy who made that unbelievable Daft Punk helmet! That's some talent right there.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Damm, I really want one of these, I could even dress up my real little sister as my Little Sister =D

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
That does look rather amazing...and heavy as hell.
I'd say they guy did one hell of a job creating such a cool thingy.
And now it's at the hands of one lucky Taiwanese collector.
Hopefully the suit will be seen again, not locked in a glass cabinet for a long time.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Hmm. I doubt he'd want to go through the drudgery of making that suit all over again, even for money, but I wonder if he'd be up for making an Alpha Series and how much it would go for.

LaughingJester

Nov 8, 2010
Wow, Is this guy a professional... if not the movie studios need to look at snapping him up... Imagine what he could get up to with a creative team behind him!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Yeah, it must have been hell. But it was awesome. He became a hero among a certain kind of man and woman. Totally worth it, I'd say.

Drabonn888

Jan 11, 2011
cpt blackamar said:
bit of old news, but man he is dedicated
While the bit about the suit is rather old,this article is to tell about his interview with Irrational. Which is new.

Crusnik

Apr 16, 2008
It was pretty awesome to see him walking around at Dragon*Con.

I also love those pictures from inside the Georgia Aquarium. Never get to see it that empty.