Battlefield 3 to be EA's Biggest Launch of All Time

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Battlefield 3 to be EA's Biggest Launch of All Time

EA is setting its sights square on the Call of Duty money pile with Battlefield 3.

There's no question right now that EA wants to take its biggest rival's (Activision) biggest property (Call of Duty) down from the top spot, and DICE's Battlefield 3 is its primary weapon to do just that. Hell, that'd be obvious even if EA CEO John Riccitiello hadn't said it outright [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109072-EA-CEO-Battlefield-3-Is-Designed-to-Take-COD-Down].

To make sure that Battlefield 3 stands a chance against Call of Duty: The Next One, EA will be putting quite a bit of money behind it. In a conference call with investors today, EA said that it was planning for the biggest launch in its company history. The publishing giant will be making an "enormous commitment of resources" to promote DICE's shooter against the competition.

So far, interest in the title is up, which may be due to the game all the money [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109304-DICE-Battlefield-3-Looks-Better-on-Consoles-Because-Were-Making-it-for-PC] being funneled to EA's other massive project, The Old Republic.

I'm not sure I'm on board with the idea of tailoring a product specifically to beat another game. DICE is a very talented developer, there's no denying that, but telling them to "go make a COD-killer" seems less clever than just trusting them to make the best damn Battlefield they can make. Still, however it turns out, EA is putting a lot of money behind the game so for its sake I hope it does well at market.

Is Battlefield 3 on your wish list?

(Via G4TV [http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712382/battlefield-3-to-be-the-biggest-launch-in-eas-history/])

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
And hopefully much better then Medal of Honor. I might get BF 3 if its just built for the PC first and not a horrid port like Black Ops was. Thats reason enough right there.

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
EcksTeaSea said:
And hopefully much better then Medal of Honor. I might get BF 3 if its just built for the PC first and not a horrid port like Black Ops was. Thats reason enough right there.
They have officially stated that PC is their primary platform and that everything will be scaled down to accommodate for older PC's and consoles

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
If anyone can "kill CoD," DICE can. I'm definitely picking up BF3 once I have the computer to run it.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Pebsy said:
EcksTeaSea said:
They have officially stated that PC is their primary platform and that everything will be scaled down to accommodate for older PC's and consoles
I am picking up BF 3 then. Thanks for the info.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
So rather than let it be a fantastic game on it's own merit's, EA are now directly telling us to compare it to Call of Duty... *clap... *clap... *clap

I fully expect this game to be better than CoD don't get me wrong, but I know the vast majority of FPS players I know won't even be pulled away from their beloved CoD by free cake and virgins. So even if Battlefield 3 is better, it won't sell as well as CoD, because CoD is CoD, which is all that matters to the fanboys. So now the whole Battlefield 3 project will be looked back on as a failure because it didn't sell 'quite as well' as CoD, rather than a success because it was a good game.

Ridrith

Aug 17, 2009
I love me some Battlefield 3. They always offer a FPS gaming experience that CoD never can. A good one. HUEHUEHUEHUE. No, but really. Bigger maps, destructible terrain, guns, soldiers. Ummm... Yeah. I'm good to go.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Hey EA, could you guys you know, just put out a shooter without a crappy single player campaign? Like Battlefield used to be? Cause to be honest, I'd rather you guys perfect the multiplayer than put in a boring 8 hour single player campaign just to appease the 8 people who don't have internet.

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
Hmmm... What a gamble: If Battlefield 3 doesn't live up to it's standards, then (even if the game is good on its own merits) DICE and EA will have quite a lot to lose. Not to mention what reputation is on the line. Sort of what happened with Homefront (Huge ad investment, poor game quality).

However, If their game just as so much exceeds COD: Black OPs by a little bit, in sales, then all there boosting would have paid-off. Either way, I might get Battlefield 3 regardless, I generally like the series.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm not a fan of the Battlefield series but I'll wait and see if EA puts out a single-player demo. I doubt they will though so if it's alright with you, I'll delegate the task of finishing this post to Lt. Vinciti...

Lt. Vinciti said:
John Funk said:
No
[sub]I await Old Republic[/sub]

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I might be getting battlefield 3, to enjoy the technical side of things (like sound design, scene design, etc).

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Okay... "Call of Duty: The Next One"... this is a joke name, right? They aren't really calling it that, are they?

OT: Not my thing, but that's okay as long as EA keeps allowing Bioware to make games, specifically ME type games, I'm good.

DethKid

Feb 16, 2011
I was a big CoD fanboy before discovering BFBC2 really late...

since then i still pla both however the community in BFBC2 has always been so much better
and the need for cohesive team play no matter who you are always left me feeling like i was actualy playing with real people
unlike CoD where i might as well of been running around with a bunch of swearing 12 year old bots

I am supporting BF3 wholeheartedly, and i want it to become bigger than CoD, however i'm worried it mght lose all the things i like about it in the process and the community will just be filled with a bunch of douchebags instead

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
I fear I might be the only one who thought of Kanye when I read the title... I'm so out of touch!

But Battlefield 3 looks amazing, I'm really excited for a great, balanced shooter that is actually piquing my interests.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
John Funk said:
I don't know.

Like you said, everything about this game seems to scream "We're bigger, better and more badass than COD". And I'd rather just have a military shooter that is simply different from COD instead of trying to beat it at its own...game.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I Really really want BF3 to be good. I'm terrified that they've "CODified" the series though. Just having vehicles wasn't what made Battlefield. I haven't been reading up too much on BF3, but If there's things like kill streaks, and only 16 people per game (32 is a joke for max players too), without a doubt going to pass on this.