New York Attorney General Subpoenas Sony

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New York Attorney General Subpoenas Sony

Sony has been slapped with a subpoena by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who wants to know what the company told its customers about the security of their online data.

The PlayStation Network/Sony Online Entertainment security breach has raised a lot of potentially awkward questions for Sony, not least of which is what the company knew and when it knew it. But Schneiderman is apparently interested in events prior to the attack; according to a person "familiar with the matter" but who isn't authorized to speak publicly, he wants to know what sort of promises Sony made to its customers about the security of their data. The report said Schneiderman is seeking the information as part of a wider-ranging consumer protection inquiry.

Sony said in a letter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109768-Sony-Provides-Timeline-of-Attack-Hinting-at-Anonymous-Involvement] to the U.S. Congress said it did not make an announcement about the intrusion immediately because it was concerned "that announcing partial or tentative information to consumers could cause confusion and lead them to take unnecessary actions if the information was not fully corroborated by forensic evidence." It took the company a full week to realize just how bad the damage was, after which it alerted consumers to the situation.

Between legal actions and international government scrutiny, Sony is under tremendous pressure from all sides. The company declined an invitation to appear before a U.S. Congressional hearing, which would certainly have been a less-than-pleasant experience for whoever was stuck in the hot seat, but sooner or later somebody is going to have to get in front of a microphone and take one for the team. That will be an interesting day indeed.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-04/sony-said-to-be-subpoenaed-by-new-york-over-data-breaches-1-.html]

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
It was Jim from accounting, he's the one that did it!!!

XD Anyway, I wonder how long Sony will put this off. Though its still funny there's not alot of new about going after the hacker, especially since they seem to be selling this stuff that they took.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Really i doubt Sony just dumped the info on a public server.

Then again, its not just going to blow over either, not until people get someone else to blame.

Also in related news about hacks, apparently American Idol was hit with a similar attack where the info of its 270000 or so participants this year was stolen.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I doubt Sony knows everything yet, so there's not much point squeezing for info when they don't have it.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Every single thread that has appeared about Sony in the last 2 weeks indicates their stock prices are worth a fuck ton less. It'll be interesting to see the sales figures between now and the end of the year and sales of 360's and PC games

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Every single thread that has appeared about Sony in the last 2 weeks indicates their stock prices are worth a fuck ton less. It'll be interesting to see the sales figures between now and the end of the year and sales of 360's and PC games
You can review the stock for yourself.
http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:SNE

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
subpoenena'd?
damn.
sony's in some DEEP shit here. can't you face legal consequences if you don't do anything about the subpoena?

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
Canid117 said:
The Rockerfly said:
damn... just dayyyum

Ot: Welp, next console generation is going to see a lot less Sony, heck if this keeps up we'll have a chain going! first Atari(by Nintendo) then Sega (by Nintendo) then Sony (by hackers) then Microsoft (by international coalition) then Nintendo (by itself).

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Can't all this legal stuff wait until Sony gets everything back in order? This is getting ridiculous now, how does a subpoena help anything right now?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Canid117 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Ho boy that's a big dent
But I meant at the end of the year and what the overall impact will be but thank you for the link

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
I just noticed, the PSN logo looks like crap. Its overly complicated, has to much gradient colors (colors that fade) and will probably end up looking out-dated soon.

Maybe this is why they hacked the network?

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Canid117 said:
The Rockerfly said:
Ho boy that's a big dent
But I meant at the end of the year and what the overall impact will be but thank you for the link
Yep looks like its fallen by ten bucks since mid April. Thats one third of its value per stock gone thanks to a couple of hackers.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
How odd I still don't feel anything for Sony. Well lets see how this mess goes maybe Ill feel sorry for them by the end.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
Anyone else starting to hear Bugs Bunny in their head? "Dog-pile on the rabbit! Dog-pile on the rabbit!"

Seriously, Sony is up to it's ears already, and it just keeps getting more piled against it...

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Canid117 said:
Yep looks like its fallen almost by half since mid April.
But their console sales seem to fluctuate monthly so really best thing to do is compare it to last years

May 2010 - 33.4
May 2011 - 27.4
That is quite a big difference

That is quite a large dip and while at the moment the shares seem to be staying still but who knows what will happen, if they will dip further or rise back up again

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Canid117 said:
Yep looks like its fallen almost by half since mid April.
But their console sales seem to fluctuate monthly so really best thing to do is compare it to last years

May 2010 - 33.4
May 2011 - 27.4
That is quite a big difference

That is quite a large dip and while at the moment the shares seem to be staying still but who knows what will happen, if they will dip further or rise back up again
The impact from the Subpoena hasn't fully hit yet. I would not be surprised by a nasty fall in the next few days as the news spreads.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
no wonder psn is not back up yet with all this shit going on its amazing if they get anything done at this point

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Canid117 said:
The impact from the Subpoena hasn't fully hit yet. I would not be surprised by a nasty fall in the next few days as the news spreads.
Agreed, I don't think the consumer impact has really hit the share holders and the sales figures. I do not want to be Sonys CEO at the end of there next quarter or even worse, the year. I suppose he can't back out though because it'd look even worse for the company

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Canid117 said:
Agreed, I don't think the consumer impact has really hit the share holders and the sales figures. I do not want to be Sonys CEO at the end of there next quarter or even worse, the year. I suppose he can't back out though because it'd look even worse for the company
Yep but hey at least the coffee shop that is nearest Sony's headquarters is going to be sold out for the next three or four months.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Canid117 said:
Yep but hey at least the coffee shop that is nearest Sony's headquarters is going to be sold out for the next three or four months.
That or Sony will officially release their own suicide booth