Bugged Xbox Game Busts Murder Suspect

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bugged Xbox Game Busts Murder Suspect

A Canadian teen is on the hook for murder after police recorded his confession on a bugged Xbox 360 game.

In September 2009, two groups of teenagers ran into each other in an alley somewhere in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. An altercation took place, ultimately resulting in the death of 19-year-old Charlotte Jolly, who was shot with a rifle taken from a stolen car. Police had a suspect but were apparently short on proof until, with a little help from his uncle, they were able to record a confession.

The uncle, who agreed to cooperate in exchange for the cancellation of a drunk driving charge against him, allowed police to hide a microphone inside one of his Xbox 360 games. He then invited his nephew over for a "midnight-to-dawn" session of Guitar Hero [http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Hero-Warriors-Bundle-Xbox-360/dp/B003N65DFA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304698820&sr=8-2], during which the suspect gave his confession.

Police then arrested the suspect, who was 16 at the time of the shooting and thus cannot be named, and charged him with second-degree murder; his lawyer said his client "will admit to causing Jolly's death, but intent will figure in the defense case."

There are a few lessons to be learned from this mess, which I will now touch on just to make sure nobody misses them. One: don't kill people. Two: if you do kill people, keep your mouth shut about it. Three: crazy uncles with booze problems and looming court cases are probably not the best people to tell your deepest, darkest secrets.

Source: CBC [http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2011/05/05/sk-jolly-youth-trial-uncle-recording-110505.html?ref=rss]

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
de5gravity said:
Or just "don't kill people"
Thanks for this I had my gun loaded ready until I read your post.

OT: That is one hell of a cazy story but hey at least justice was served (apart from the drunk driver).

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Although I am glad they got the guy, I can't help but feel that it was quite a dick move by the uncle. End justifys means maybe? I dunno.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Hijax said:
I think this uncle just might be the most awesome uncle alive
I dunno. He was arrested for drunk driving.

I don't think drunk drivers are too awesome, myself.

But these police are pretty awesome, assuming they came up with the idea.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Woah... Sell out your family member for dropping drunk driver charges. I would not want to be in the guy's skin when the kids mother gets to him.

Also kid got what he deserved. Hope he gets serious jail time to think about it

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
<- A crazy uncle who drinks a lot of milk and pop

And in October I'll be old enough to actually drink in my province. Hopefully my Nieces and Nephews wont commit murder though :p

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
CommanderKirov said:
Woah... Sell out your family member for dropping drunk driver charges. I would not want to be in the guy's skin when the kids mother gets to him.

i agree with all 4 sentences you have posted

tjs09

Aug 23, 2010
CommanderKirov said:

Would jail really help in this situation? Who knows, but it's a shame that yet another young man will waste his youth locked up in prison.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
CommanderKirov said:

Exactly, the kid got what he deserved. Maybe the uncle thought that was what he deserved, too? I think he saw the DUI cancellation as hitting two birds with one stone.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
tjs09 said:
CommanderKirov said:

Would jail really help in this situation? Who knows, but it's a shame that yet another young man will waste his youth locked up in prison.
You know what's more sad? Parents having to bury their daughter because of other parents that cannot control their psychotic kid.

Also binnsboy. It's not that I think what his uncle did was unjustified. But family should not not SELL OUT family, if the uncle did it for the best interest of the kid he would do it without needing a reward, and especially as pathetic one as cancelation of DUI charges.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Not sure how Canadian Law goes, but in most US states if the homicide isn't ruled capital(weird how that works, huh?), the kid would serve only until he turned 18 with maybe some change added. I'm thinking it may be similar in Canada since the attorney is apparently going to fight it being regarded capital.
Either case, the Uncle isn't that cool. It's good that he cooperated to help get this kid caught, but bad that he used it as an excuse to weasel out of a drunk driving charge. Those kinds of things shouldn't be shrugged off.

But yeah, just don't kill people. Beating the crap out of them, that's another story. Which the kid's mother is thinking of doing to her brother(-in-law).

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
sold out for a dropping of a drunk driving charge? looks like that uncle drunk is off the christmas card list. if your uncle obviously hates you why would you confess to him? I bet he's the one with all the good drugs...you know he's got booze that he probably fed him to get the confession anyways.