UPDATE: Rumor: EA Already Has the 360's Successor, Microsoft to Reveal at E3

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
UPDATE: Rumor: EA Already Has the 360's Successor, Microsoft to Reveal at E3

EA might already be developing next-gen games on Microsoft's next-gen console.

According to an anonymous source talking to Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/37618/Develop-source-New-Xbox-console-on-desks-at-EA], not only is the core hardware for the new Xbox 360 finished, but an EA development studio already has one on its desk.

While we've had clues that Microsoft has been working on a new console [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108296-Microsoft-Recruiting-Designers-for-Next-Xbox], nobody thought that the next Xbox (NexBox?) was this far along in development, especially considering how Microsoft has always said that the 360 was built for the long-haul. The new console, which is supposedly still in an early build and housed in a PC case, could be released by the end of 2012, if the source is reliable.

The source also believed that there could be an E3 reveal for the next-gen console. "Why let Nintendo steal the thunder in June? It doesn't want to lose momentum. That's why I think Microsoft is rushing to make an announcement at E3," he said. On the other hand, a separate source told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-06-new-xbox-reveal-at-e3-unlikely-source] that an E3 reveal is highly unlikely.

All this, of course, is to be taken with a grain (or handful) of salt. Keep in mind that this is a report coming from an anonymous source who works neither at EA or Microsoft, that contradicts everything Microsoft has yet said on the subject of a new console. As much as you might love to see a new console by the end of next year, I would advise not getting your hopes up.

Neither Microsoft or EA has made any comment on the rumor.

UPDATE: EA's Vice President of Communications, Jeff Brown, has told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/#!5799446/report-next+gen-xbox-already-at-ea-ea-thats-a-total-fabrication] that the story is "a total fabrication - 100 percent not true."

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/37618/Develop-source-New-Xbox-console-on-desks-at-EA]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Scott Bullock said:
"Why let Nintendo steal the thunder in June? It doesn't want to lose momentum. That's why I think Microsoft is rushing to make an announcement at E3," he said.
Hopefully not rushing enough to release another unstable console.

Apr 28, 2008
I really hope the next console generation isn't coming soon. It would lead to increased costs for everything.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Xbox 1080

Now it can't be turned on without a Gold membership!

Seriously, MS. Free members can't even send messages now. >_>

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Xbox 1080

Now it can't be turned on without a Gold membership!

Seriously, MS. Free members can't even send messages now. >_>
In Poland Gold membership is bugged and you can download demos after your membership runs out!
Besides multiplayer, its all there is to it in Poland though. Sucks.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
I knew this would happen the second people started talking new wii.... There goes all my free money for the next two years

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I still think its to early for the next generation of consoles. Can't we give these ones a few more years.

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
bleachigo10 said:
I still think its to early for the next generation of consoles. Can't we give these ones a few more years.
Its going to be a few years before it comes out anyways.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Irridium said:
I really hope the next console generation isn't coming soon. It would lead to increased costs for everything.
Soon...we will all pay...AUSTRALIAN PRICES!

And they're be forced to pay...EVEN HIGHER AUSTRALIAN PRICES!

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
meh...well this sucks...im just gonna get a nice pwnage pc then. the whole console thing is kinda pointless now. at least on a pc i can still play free MP, do EVERYTHING i want on it without having to jailbreak it, and ill be ready for the inevitable cloud gaming/living thing

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Sinclose said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Irridium said:
Soon...we will all pay...AUSTRALIAN PRICES!

And they're be forced to pay...EVEN HIGHER AUSTRALIAN PRICES!
Australian prices are still little compared to what I pay here.

Example:a freshly released game costs the equivalent of $100 and a game over 2 years old can still easily cost in the $60-$80 range... '-_-
We will all pay...WHEREVER SINCLOSE IS FROM PRICES!

BWA HA HA

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
Exciting I have to say, my xbox's dashboard has become so slow and the console freezes a lot, i considered buying the new 250gb one but now i know about this i might hold on to my money.

PS: Anyone up for Halo 4?

EDIT: Apparently Not

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
This generation still has lots of life in it. Surely it's more cost-effective for the public and Microsoft to just keep with the 360?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
bleachigo10 said:
I'm going to be blunt: you must be trolling, right? The next generation of consoles is overdue by a good two years, frankly. It's about time, in my opinion.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I just bought a 360, I'd like it to stay relevant for at least another few years, if possible.