Volition Adds Rainbow-Farting Unicorn to Red Faction: Armageddon

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Volition Adds Rainbow-Farting Unicorn to Red Faction: Armageddon

The latest playable weapon added to Red Faction: Armageddon is pretty strange, but pretty cute too.

The Red Faction series has always been somewhat serious, but developer Volition always seems to find a way to throw some silliness into the mix. In the studio's upcoming Red Faction: Armageddon [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Faction-Armageddon-Xbox-360/dp/B003P9C6QY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304704719&sr=8-1], Mr. Toots will be that silliness.

Who, or what, is Mr. Toots? Mr. Toots is a rainbow-farting unicorn created by Freddie Wong, known for many amazing videos such as real-life deathmatch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107884-SFX-Filmmaker-Depicts-Real-Life-Mario-Kart-Battle]. *Edit* Mr. Toots was apparently given to Wong by Volition, not created by him. Oops! His video is worth watching anyway:

Just so it's clear, Volition is adding a destructive, rainbow-farting unicorn to Red Faction: Armageddon as a playable weapon. Mr. Toots is a reward for fans that downloaded the Red Faction: Armageddon demo more than 1 million times. It's also a follow-up to Ostrich Hammer [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Faction-Guerrilla-Xbox-360/dp/B0014ULQB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304705337&sr=8-1] multiplayer weapon, a hammer made out of a live ostrich.

Mr. Toots will probably be a multiplayer weapon again, as it'd be strange to see him in Armageddon's single-player storyline that follows the release of an alien menace from an ancient mineshaft on Mars. Armageddon features a survival-style multiplayer mode called Infestation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3074-Red-Faction-Armageddon-Infestation-Mode] that will see up to four players cooperating to defeat legions of terrible foes. Now, with the help of a rainbow-farting unicorn bazooka to boot.

Red Faction: Armageddon will be released for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC on June 7.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Just an FYI, THQ and Volition gave Freddie Wong the model for him to use in his video (as well as a Homefront T-Shirt), as he mentioned in the "making of" video.

OT: Words can't describe the awesome... and the lulz.

elementsoul

Aug 28, 2009
Freddie Wong didn't make Mr. Toots. The guys at Volition had Freddie's team visit them and when the team saw Mr. Toots they asked if they could use the models for a video and the Volition guys agreed to let them use it.

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
Wait..I have to download the demo 1 million times before the game is released to unlock it just for me...that is WAYYY to much work.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I've got to get this game. But I've got to get some many other May/June releases, too. And then Catherine in July.

I HATE YOU, GAMING!

Hogbinladen

Mar 25, 2010
That might explain the 1 week delay... I'm assuming its unlocked when fans download the demo a total of 1 million times.

What're we waiting for?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
After RF:G, and how I got bored with it after a few hours, I'm skeptical about this. I'll download the demo and see...

Well, it isn't on Steam, or the RF:A site...

And PSN is down...

Hmm... so, looks like there is no PC demo (PC getting shafted again, there's a surprise), and I can't try it on PS3. Well, that was an easy $50 saved...

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Volition, we add crazy ass concepts to our games so that YOU love them.

OT: Freddie Wong always seems to make good short clips. But I don't see how his Unicorn is linked to Red Faction...

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
After RF:G, and how I got bored with it after a few hours, I'm skeptical about this. I'll download the demo and see...

And PSN is down...

Hmm... so, looks like there is no PC demo (PC getting shafted again, there's a surprise), and I can't try it on PS3. Well, that was an easy $50 saved...
After all their talking about how they were going to treat PC just aswell as consoles they canceled the PC demo, I was gonna buy the game, but now I think I'll not do that and instead "insert excuse for how I'm playing it anyway"

Edit: And I believe they're most likely doing this so the game won't be cracked before release and instead the day after release. Which is funny because it will be available to pirates on console days before actual release.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Korey Von Doom said:
Edit: And I believe they're most likely doing this so the game won't be cracked before release and instead the day after release. Which is funny because it will be available to pirates on console days before actual release.
Seems to me it would be more effective to just, yanow, not include the entire game's content in the demo.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
Steve the Pocket said:
Korey Von Doom said:
Seems to me it would be more effective to just, yanow, not include the entire game's content in the demo.
Its not that, its that they break the executable code and then use that to make the crack for the full game.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
elementsoul said:
Freddie Wong didn't make Mr. Toots. The guys at Volition had Freddie's team visit them and when the team was Mr. Toots they asked if they could use the models for a video and the Volition guys agreed to let them use it.
Ah, thanks. That's where I first saw Mr. Toots, so I just figured it went the other way.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Korey Von Doom said:
Assassin Xaero said:

And PSN is down...

After all their talking about how they were going to treat PC just aswell as consoles they canceled the PC demo, I was gonna buy the game, but now I think I'll not do that and instead "insert excuse for how I'm playing it anyway"

I'm actually thinking of not buying any game that shafts the PC version. I'll have more decent games, and it will be an amazingly effective way to save money...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
'Mr. Toots is a reward for fans that downloaded the Red Faction: Armageddon demo more than 1 million times'

I think a farting Unicorn is the least you can give to someone that dedicated :D

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Just so it's clear, Volition is adding a destructive, rainbow-farting unicorn to Red Faction: Armageddon as a playable weapon. Mr. Toots is a reward for fans that downloaded the Red Faction: Armageddon demo more than 1 million times.
I think Volition is actually offering to put Toots in the game if the playerbase as a whole downloads the games demo more than 1 million times. I find it hard to imagine any player downloading, deleting, and redownloading anything 1 million times.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Didn't Diablo 3 also have a joke screenshot with a rainbow farting unicorn?
Blizzard employee post it on the forum to made fun of the Diablo 3 art controversy.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Korey Von Doom said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Korey Von Doom said:
Its not that, its that they break the executable code and then use that to make the crack for the full game.
Then how would it be available to pirates before release? Unless you mean they'd have the code ready to import the data, but like you said, they'd have the code cracked almost as soon after release as they can gather that up anyway.